metal shaveings in tranny

stylo

Aug 14, 2010
new egypt, nj
i just pulled the mesh screen out of what i think is the hst feed line. and to my wonderful suprize it had metal shaveings on it:eek:. it wasint totaly covered but it did seem like enough to rase consern. what could this be from? the tractor is a b7100 and has only 316 hrs on her, and im almost positive the hydrolic service was never performed. should i just clean the screen and finish the service, run it for a bit and do another service shortly after and see if its just as bad:confused:? the fluid looked clean to me too. dont really want to rip the thing appart, just got it and havent even got to play yet:(

stylo

Aug 14, 2010
new egypt, nj
thanks so much vic!! i hope thats all it is. i know the 300 hrs werent hard hrs, the lady i bought it from just used it for hay and horse manure. and thats pretty much it, no construction work or anything hard like that.

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
I have a new to me 1980 b7100hstD, and I am in the process of changing all fluids, etc. Don't know where she has been, maint wise. Everything seems OK, so far, but it does not look all that well maintained either. 800+ hours on it.

So, just now changing hydro fluid. Old stuff looks ok, but I cannot seem to break the bolts free that house the screen strainer. I did change the canister filter. Before I really treat into (or tear up) things to get two those screens (there are two, correct?), is it worth it? or shall I refill and move on?

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
When I checked the screens on my B7100hst they were covered with small chips and other metal debris. The hour meter showed 600 hours but I do not know if it was ever cleaned or how the tractor was used. I know have about 1300 hours and the tractor still works great.

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
I got the right side screen out, and it was perfectly clean. The left side is still a no-go. I think I need a six point 26 mm to really give it a shot. I rounded things a bit trying with my 12-point socket. (Amazing how hard a 6 pt 26 mm is to find.)

Too late for now, though. New fluid is back in it. Things are working fine. But I wonder if anyone has ever removed that left side screen.

chucky79

Equipment
BX25D, B7100 Restoration project with a B219 loader and B670 backhoe
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
I understand your concerns...normal to worry about these machines, they cost so much and do so many things for us. I can imagine not having mine now that I do. Metal shavings I would expect from the machining process and break in as things mesh. So I wouldn't worry and expect your next service will be much cleaner when you check. I did my first service last night too on my new Bx and I found little to no metal shavings but a TON of rvt gasket/silicon gasket material on my screen and in the fluid. There is even still some in the transaxle that I can see but cant get to. It worries me but I just hope the filter and screen does its job and I guess im going to call Kubota and my dealer about it to see if I can get the warranty extended or maybe a couple complimentary flushes on the rear every 50 hours or so for the next few years to try and flush it out just to be certain.

HickoryNut

Equipment
BX25DLB/PForks,Front Blade,3PH,and 3Pt STUFF, BXPanded UA, Piranha, BH Dolly,Rip
Apr 15, 2011
NE Georgia
That 'screen" does its job. My B7100 has over 4400 hours. ;)