water/fuel separator

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Hey guys Ive been doing alot of work on the old Duramax lately replacing injectors. So Ive been reading on water in fuel never thought to much about condensation on a half full tank, but I guess after my second set of injectors Ill be adding a water separator to the system. My question is since reading all of this I went out and looked at the Kubota and what do you know I found a 1/4" of white watery crap at the the bottom of the clear fuel filter, is the fuel filter on the newer Kubotas act as a water separator as well, or should I look at putting something in line as well?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
On mine there is both a water separator and a fuel filter that is further forward.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I added a Dahl separator/filter to my L3000 and it works great. I use it for my primary filter and use a 2 micron element. Mine came from Amsoil but you can get them thru a Baldwin dealer now. Mine is the #75 and if I remember right it's good for up to 90 hp. They make them that will handle anything you throw at it so getting one that would work shouldn't be a problem.

Attachments

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
I added a Dahl separator/filter to my L3000 and it works great. I use it for my primary filter and use a 2 micron element. Mine came from Amsoil but you can get them thru a Baldwin dealer now. Mine is the #75 and if I remember right it's good for up to 90 hp. They make them that will handle anything you throw at it so getting one that would work shouldn't be a problem.
Bulldog, what part # is the 2 micron replacement element? Can I just simply replace the oem 15 micron with the 2 with no adverse issues? If the system is gravity fed only... when adding an auxillary water separator and a 2 micron secondary will the injectors get enough flow without adding any kind of lift pump?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The number for the 2 micron element is #66. This doesn't replace the factory filter if that's what you're asking, it goes in the Dahl filter.

What I did on mine is remove the fuel line from the factory filter and routed it to the Dahl filter first. Came out of the Dahl and back into the factory filter. So the Dahl is now the primary filter and the OEM is the secondary. By the way, if you don't have a fuel shut off this is the perfect time to install one.

The Dahl #75 is rated up to 30 GPH flow and unless you mount it higher than the tank it shouldn't require a lift pump.

On Baldwin's on-line buy site the #75 is listed for $141 and a case of #66 elements is $85. And from my experience a case of filters will last a lifetime. I filter all my fuel before it's pumped into the tractor which helps I'm sure but I've never had a problem going 250 hrs before changing the Dahl element and because it's the primary filter the OEM filter doesn't even get dirty. I've been running the factory filter 500 hrs and even then it's still clean. I just change it because I feel guilty for running it that long.

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
bulldog, I looked up the 65/75 series water separators and the #66 elements are showing 5 micron nominal and 25 micron absolute. I believe nominal means that it only catches 50% of stated value and absolute means 98%, maybe Im reading wrong but I would like to find something with a better rating

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I read one place that said the #66 has a 4 / 20 rating and another that just says it's a 2 micron. The elements I have say 2 micron on the box. I don't know which to believe on what I read because it all came from Baldwin. http://www.baldwinfilter.com/literature/english/6 dahl/Form4005.pdf Go to page #5 look below the #66, not above. http://cdn.baldwinfiltersrus.com/form562.pdf Go to page #449

All I can give you for sure is my personal experience. I installed the filter on my L3000 when it was new in 2000. I run the Dahl elements for 250 hrs and honestly just out of guilt I change the stock filter at 500 hrs. Even then they are still running fine, I just change them because it's in the PM schedule. I have never had any fuel related issues at all.

I'll be interested to hear what you find that works better though. I'm always interested in a product that works better or that will increase the life of my tractors. Keep us all posted on what you find.

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Yeah thats the PIYA of it all, you can never fine true micron ratings, it does say on pg 449 that it is a 2 micron rating but not if its nominal or absolute. My guess though how they have the nominal micron rating listed and then in () have the absolute figure, that there listings are nominal. I know the new equipment is supposedly designed for low sulfur fuels have greater tolerances so I dont know what to think on my 2012 tractor if 15 micron is sufficient or should I search for something better. You would think manufactures would put filters on that give the best life for there systems, but with Chevy I obviously have found that not to be true.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Yeah, a accurate rating sure would make things easier but it ain't there. Maybe their tech department could shed some light on the subject but that's about the only way I can think of to get better info.

I'm by no means trying to sell you on the Dahl filter system but I'll say this. It has done a very good job for me and I have no complaints what so ever. I certainly understand your concerns but I believe it would satisfy your needs. That said, I'm still interested if you find a better system. Although I'm completely satisfied with Dahl if there's a better more efficient system I'm eager to learn about it.

I will say this, the Dahl filter system will clean and remove way more water / contaminants than the OEM filter does. I say this because I have cut apart 2 different OEM filters to see what was in the media. Both times the Dahl elements were full of trash and the bowl had water but the OEM filter was like new and no water was visible.

Like I said before, I'm not trying to sell you on the Dahl system. I'm just passing on my personal experience. :D