weeping/seeping injection pump fitting dilemna

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
L345DT TLB: Over the week I replaced the glow plugs (one was dead and the others SLOWWWW to heat and the forum indicated I should change the whole set), changed the fuel filter (nasty), air filter (filthy), and the oil and filter. The fourth glow plug necessitated removing the first two injector lines to get access to the glow plug.

After futzing around and finally getting all the air out of the lines I am up and running again. BUT, when I loosened number two line at the pump the entire number two injector pump assembly came loose before the line compression fitting came loose. I have reefed the fittings tight until I plumb scared that I'm going to really screw something up. Inspite of it all I still have a slight weeping/seeping of fuel from around the base of the injector assembly at the pump. Perhaps it is seeping down the compression fitting and only looks like it is at the threaded base??? But when I wipe it it sure looks like it is seeping up from the threads. What am I missing here? Is there some kind of sealant or teflon thread that can help? I searched the forum and have not come up with a good answer for my dilemna.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Post a picture if you can so we can get a better look at what and where it's leaking if you could please. ;)

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
Okay, hopefully here is a picture of where the fuel is seeping from. Given the restrictions on image sizes you may have to Ctrl + to be able to read the writing.

Attachments

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
After searching the internet, specifically tractorbynet and an diesel RV site, it appears that I most likely tweaked one of the pump injector O-ring, or two, when they came loose while trying to loosen the compression nut on the line. The O-rings are probably ancient and all it took was loosening the injector pump fitting to compromise their integrity. So, it looks like that will be my next adventure.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sorry didn't see you other post, yes it's an O-ring in there.

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
Whilst waiting for the head to arrive, I replaced the O rings and copper washers, or shims, on my L345DT injection pump that had the same leaking problem a thread on a leaking L245. ( http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=131983#post131983 )

Although the manual didn't show the O rings, they were there on the L345DT too.

What I am trying to run down is what torque spec to use for tightening the delivery valve holders?

I've spent way too much time googling, looking at manuals, and even emailed Oregon Fuel Injection (where I got my new injectors) without any success. All the manuals simply say nothing to service here without special tools and expertise and that is all.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Any O-ring fitting is snug tight and no more. ;)

universal 5424

Equipment
universal 5424 marine diesel engine dh1101
Nov 20, 2011
marathon fl
Whilst waiting for the head to arrive, I replaced the O rings and copper washers, or shims, on my L345DT injection pump that had the same leaking problem a thread on a leaking L245. ( http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=131983#post131983 )

Although the manual didn't show the O rings, they were there on the L345DT too.

What I am trying to run down is what torque spec to use for tightening the delivery valve holders?

I've spent way too much time googling, looking at manuals, and even emailed Oregon Fuel Injection (where I got my new injectors) without any success. All the manuals simply say nothing to service here without special tools and expertise and that is all.
I have the same problem on my l245/dh1101 engine. The o ring in question is not on the manual or in the parts list. Wondering if any oil/heat resistance o ring will work :confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have the same problem on my l245/dh1101 engine. The o ring in question is not on the manual or in the parts list. Wondering if any oil/heat resistance o ring will work :confused:
Use metric nitrile rubber O-rings, as they are resistant to fuels and oils.