Kubota tractor 4x4 not working ?

707pc50

Feb 7, 2015
Arcata california
My 1987 Kubota 4x4 35hp (can't seem to recal model number and am not near the machine) lost 4x4 function, 2wheel drive works fine but no difference when shifted into 4x4, looks to me like linkage is working fine but I'm no tractor mechanic.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
We could guess all day but without a model # best We can give you is, something's broke! :rolleyes:

Get us a model # and we'll give you a better answer. ;)

707pc50

Feb 7, 2015
Arcata california
Ok took me a minute to get to the tractor but here's the info-

Kubota BF500 serial number 12551 I am under the impression it is a 35hp late 80s machine but don't quote me on that. I bought it used from the local dealer about 10years ago they had taken it as a trade in and put a rebuilt engine in it and new clutch. Since then it has treated me well no issues besides a belt and a flat tire, and a problem with the electric fuel shut off solenoid. All was well until about six months ago I noticed the four wheel drive was only rear wheel drive? Any ideas? Could very well be something I'm dining stupid or something obvious but I can't figure it out, lineage seems to be working to 4x shifter but no worky???

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Oh your going to hate me... :p
That's the loader model not the tractor model.
Go look again I'll bet it a L2850DT or a L2850DT-GST

707pc50

Feb 7, 2015
Arcata california
oh crap, haha, sorry bout that, so that serial is off the same sticker so loader as well, Ill be back out where the tractor is in a few days and will look harder for the model number.

JusticeBDunn

Equipment
Kubota L3000 Tractor
Feb 10, 2015
Chino Valley, AZ
Your tractor should work in both 2 wheel and 4 wheel Drive. Did you check the level that should be at the rear of the floor board left side next to the seat. Pull up for 4 wheel and push down for 2 wheel.

I know I had the same problem and I likely hit the lever with my foot pushing down into 2 wheel drive.

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
Your tractor should work in both 2 wheel and 4 wheel Drive. Did you check the level that should be at the rear of the floor board left side next to the seat. Pull up for 4 wheel and push down for 2 wheel.

I know I had the same problem and I likely hit the lever with my foot pushing down into 2 wheel drive.
Yep and if the aftermarket stickers say otherwise remove them. I think they were suppose to be on the chassis not the fender!

707pc50

Feb 7, 2015
Arcata california
Yeah, i know the lever, it worked fine for years to shift from 4x4 to 2x4, just lately 4x4 doesn't function. To clarify the tractor still drives with the lever in both 2x4 and 4x4 position, but in both positions only the rear wheels spin?? Any ideas? Someone told me there is some type of shear pin somewhere on the four wheel drive system but I don't know specifics of where to look. I will be put at the property where the tractor is soon and will be able to get the actual tractor model number not just the loader number if that helps.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it's the tractor I think it is the normal 4wd fault on it is striped couplers on the propeller shaft, super easy and cheap fix.;)
Once you give us a model I can give you exact details.

707pc50

Feb 7, 2015
Arcata california
Any ideas anyone? I guess if not I'm gonna take it to the local dealer, I've just never heard anything good about them so I'm hesitant, but running out of options.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You will need to pull the shield off of the propeller shaft and check the 2 couplers on the ends (#30), the front is held in buy the bolt in the oil pan (#90), the rear is a roll pin(#60).

Attachments

hugho

Apr 27, 2012
jackson wy usa
Yeah, i know the lever, it worked fine for years to shift from 4x4 to 2x4, just lately 4x4 doesn't function. To clarify the tractor still drives with the lever in both 2x4 and 4x4 position, but in both positions only the rear wheels spin?? Any ideas? Someone told me there is some type of shear pin somewhere on the four wheel drive system but I don't know specifics of where to look. I will be put at the property where the tractor is soon and will be able to get the actual tractor model number not just the loader number if that helps.
Do not know about the shear pin like what they have on outboards. I would doubt there is one. Get a parts diagram from Messicks. The weak point on all these compact tractors no matter the make or model is the front wheel drive setup. The front shaft is small, the splines are shallow and they are not true powerful 4x4 tractors like the bigger ag models which tend to have planetaries at the front wheels and big drive shafts and pinion gears. In my experience they usually fail at the drive shaft pinion interface on the front and shear off the spines on the shaft or the coupling. Put in on jack stands and put it in 2wd and 4wd and look at the front shaft and see if it;s turning. Don't get under it obviously!!! and have someone do the controls preferably in granny low range. There may be a drive shaft cover which you will have to take off first. If the front wheels spin off the ground but wont on the ground, you have a discontinuity at the shaft/pinion/ring gear interface, likely a sheared shaft/coupling. Repair costs will be 2 to 3 K probably.