6 days I don't want to repeat...

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I hate to be a sniveler, especially when I think back on some of the other members medical problems I've read about here- but have you ever had the hiccups for 6+ days?
Don't. It is not fun.
I have had them 21-24hrs a day from Monday up till early Sunday morning, with a brief re-lapse again on Sunday. They got steadily worse all week, until Saturday night, when I began to have hiccups so rapid and close together they essentially became fibrillations, not allowing me to breathe in or out for short periods of time. Scary.
I was at my place in the high country, (alone) so I packed & headed for home, dodging 30+ elk on the highway for the first 70 miles.
Got to the emergency room at 1:15am, sat in the waiting room till 4:36am, (gotta provide medical care for all those illegals) and finally got some drugs that put me to sleep & stopped the hiccups by 8:30am. Came back briefly for an hour yesterday, but a second round of drugs & 7 hours sleep stopped that.
Hopefully I'm over it. I have a pretty severe sore throat, and sore ribs & stomach muscles, but that's a small price to pay to get rid of the hiccups.
And for those who object to my "illegals" comment, a person on staff commented that we we the first & only "paying" customers of the shift.
Wonder why your medical bills are so High?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
brother - get better fast!!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
85Hokie- Thanks, I hope I'm on the mend.

edritchey- Doc said it is a fairly common occurrence, with the longest he had treated being 2 weeks.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Last time I was in the hospital a month or so ago and they decided they were going to put a tube down my nose into my tummy, I got them for bout a week straight. No fun. Finally went away. I was sore too.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Everybody has a 'cure' for them, but nothing really works. They just have to go away on their own. Hang in there, feel better soon.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Dang Bill...

A weekend alone to get caught up on projects sounds so simple and fun. I bet that was the last thing you expected. I bet your chest feels like you got kicked by a horse....

I have had allergies this year like mad. I musta sneezed 50-60 times in a half hour the other day. MADDENING! Nothing like what you experienced. Glad you made it back and are doing well.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I used to regularly get hiccups that lasted long enough to be annoying.

Then I got old enough to get minor acid reflux.

Then my doctor suggested that I take the acid blocker pills (over the counter) but take them for twice as long as one package is for. Four weeks if I recall.

No more acid reflux and even better not many hiccups anymore.

Won’t hurt to ask doctor if they think it is ok for you to try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yikes, that sounds like NO FUN at all!

The misses couldn't scare them out of you... :D

Wen had them for about an hour the other day... I threatened her, that I would pull the hind lick maneuver on her if she didn't stop, she said that that was only for choking... but just the threat made her stop! :p :D

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I had tried every remedy that everyone told me was a sure fire cure, at least 5 times each, some more. (although I admit I have never heard of gripe water until I read it here) Absolutely nothing helped for more than 5 minutes or so.
E Room doc said they see about 2-3 cases a week, week in, week out. He said it is virtually always neurological, not physical, and the mechanism is not fully understood.
What they gave me was a low dose of Thorazine, followed by a low dose of Ativan.
Knocked me on my a$$, but I needed the sleep anyway, because I only got about 3hrs in the previous 6 days. When they came back on Sunday, after an hour, I repeated the meds, knocked me out again for another 7 1/2hrs, and I've been hiccup free since. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The illegals thing is something I noticed too last time I was in ER (for laceration). Sit there bleeding for hours, watching people go in and out...that don't speak no english. Don't cost them a dime. Cost me $400 to get 9 stitches and then $90 to have them removed (which I should've done myself). Grrr....don't get me going on this subject.

It ain't the only reason med costs are high, but it IS a reason.

The bad part is, I was sitting there in the ER waiting room talking to an older gentleman next to me, he was having some difficulty breathing but not severe, probably a minor sickness. This was a weekend night so reg doctors are all closed. Well watching all of the non-English speaking folks come and go, some came in after him (us since we showed up at basically the same time), and him being a vet from Korea and Vietnam? Guy risked his life for the country yet can't get care for the non-english speaking people who sometimes get theirs for "free". Do ya think there's a problem there?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Grrr....don't get me going on this subject.
I totally agree. I know someone who works at the county hospital....85-88% of the babies born there each year for the last 20+ years are born to illegals, who pay nothing, while citizens have to pay, either directly or indirectly through the insurance they pay for. Grr!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I imagine it depends on what state you live in, but up here what chapped my hide is the employed (legal citizen) folks that couldn't be bothered signing up for affordable insurance. MIchigan for a while at least expanded Medicaid to make it possible for more people to get good care for less money.