Have Fun But...

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Lesson of the day is probably to learn how to reload and to be diligent and mindful while doing it. Most of these were either double loaded reloads or squibs. If shooting a revolver, squibs are far more dangerous as you can cycle the cylinder onto a blocked barrel. At least with semi's a squib will usually not have enough force to operate the bolt to give you some indication something went wrong. Every gun detonation case here was either MAJOR over pressure or firing a round into a Squibbed barrel I would say.

A few guys I know shoot others' reloads and I always tell them they are crazy. Others I know like to enjoy a beer or four while relaxing...also a recipe for disaster.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Several of us used to set up a combat shoot in a box canyon north of Phoenix, years ago. One of us would set up a layout of plywood "bad" guys mixed with "good" guys, then the others would shoot the course, being scored by the one who set up the targets. Then we'd switch & re-arrange. One day one of our regulars, we'll call him "Al" brought another guy with him, we'll call him "Mike".
Mike used a 4" Mdl 29 .44mag, and was doing OK, then he did a reload. He turned a corner where he faced a couple bad guys and snapped off 5 misfires about as fast as possible. I got him to stop before he touched off the sixth. Investigation showed he had missed putting powder in a row of 5 cases in his reloading block, and had stacked 5 bullets in the barrel with the primers, and that sixth round was hot. Had he fired that last round.... scary!
Al later admitted they were doing hash oil on ice cream during their reloading session.:eek:
A couple weeks later I was talking with a local gunsmith and related the story. He got an odd look on his face and showed me a Ruger Single Action in .357 with 5 bullets lodged in the barrel.:eek:
Knowing that Al had an identical gun, I asked if the owners name was Al- and it was! Exact same reloading scenario on the same night.
After confirming the story with Al, he was asked not to rejoin our shooting group.
You wonder how these people survive.