B7800 front axle leak

themick7

Equipment
2007 B7800
Aug 31, 2014
alden, ny
So I recently purchased a 2007 B7800 with 270 hours on it. Lucky me, about a week later it decided to start puking fluid from the front axle bevel seal. I ordered the $50 piece of rubber, looked at a couple posts, and started tearing things apart. After much cursing I managed to remove that absurdly difficult snap ring, dropped everything down, pulled the seal, cleaned things up and started to reassemble. This is where I am kind of stuck. I got the housing on using a jack, and wiggled and tapped things around until it seated, but i still have gap I can't seem to close that I'm thinking might be the bearings? Its jacked up until the weight of the tractor is on the housing and we're tapping (forcefully) on the top of the housing but it refuses to seat all the way. not really sure what the issue is unless things just aren't quite lined up exactly right. Anyone else do this and have any tips? Also, the new seal seamed quite a bit taller than the old one. I think it may be a new design, but not sure if that will effect how it seats.. any help would be appreciated.

themick7

Equipment
2007 B7800
Aug 31, 2014
alden, ny
For what it's worth I figured it out... I didn't realize the old seal had a sleeve or dust cap that stayed behind. Pried it off and it slid on with a bit of tapping.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Was gonna mention to you that you need to take off that little hidden metal sleeve that usually stays behind....glad you caught it.

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Hello:
I've got a leak but I'm not sure if it's the axle or tire hub. Since you're brave enough to attempt the repair yourself and were successful, I was wondering if looking at this photo would help ID where the leak is really coming from.
I noticed it below the left front tire a few weeks back and am finally getting around to doing something about it. The dealer says it's a hub seal failure (if not something more), and the repair is about $350 plus pickup&delivery. He also said it's a bear of a job if you haven't done it before.
Any help you could provide would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

jcsffinc

Dec 10, 2015
US
Must be the same set up as on the m series tractors I just did one last week to a M135gx oil running down the inside of the rim making it down the side wall to the floor what a mess same little sleeve stayed behind in mine also fixed one a few years ago for a neighbor on a big new Holland 180hp he didn't stop to fix it but the tractor stopped for him instead welded the gears together inside the planetary 8k later had it going what I'm saying is if you see it leaking get it taken care of it can cost you a bunch of money and save you a lot of headaches

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

superdog1

Equipment
B7800, LA402, backhoe and mower
Jun 11, 2016
Lebanon PA
I have a 2010 B7800 with the same issue. It seems like it started when I used the tractor sideways on a hill and put pressure on the right front tire by carrying a small load in the bucket. I did this about 20 times while working on a project for my mother. Ever since then it leaks oil. Mine does not seem to leak onto the rim, just down the axle and on to the ground. Is it the same seal the others are talking about?