M8200 Diesel out of blow by and possibly in oil

Glovelis

Equipment
M8200
Jun 30, 2014
Stonewall, Ok
Brush hogging for two hours today and tractor dies. Put 3 gallons of fuel in and bled 1st line until it started. As I headed to shop I noticed a loss of power. Tractor would not run 10' brush hog and drive at normal speed, really bogged down. I disengaged pto and revved engine while stationary to 2600. Idled down and pulled into shop and killed it. Got out and noticed oil colored diesel spot on floor directly under blow by tube. Spot was a good 10" in diameter and really thin liquid. What should I check first? Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 Check the oil level and if it's over full then your going to need to drain the oil.
#2 If oil is not over full then it's possible that you had a cylinder or several cylinders had air in the injection lines and are not firing properly.

Glovelis

Equipment
M8200
Jun 30, 2014
Stonewall, Ok
The oil level seems normal, maybe a little over but it really seems like there is diesel in it. It is very thin and runny off the dipstick. Should I just change it or make sure the other lines are clear of air before changing.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If you have questions on the oil, then it would be best to change it. It's cheap insurance compared to the price of the tractor;)

Glovelis

Equipment
M8200
Jun 30, 2014
Stonewall, Ok
I didn't know if I should change the oil before figuring out why the diesel is in the oil. It seems like it is running smoother today. I'm going to see if it will spin brush hog.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I change the oil automatically if i find diesel in the oil. Then work on finding the cause.

Hows the exhaust when it's running? Is it darkish in color, have a strong odor of unburned diesel? Smells like a torpedo or kerosene heater when they run out of fuel. Does the exhaust make your eyes water and burn if your near it? If so then chances are good that one or more injectors are bad.

While it's running, you can loosen and tighten the fuel line to each injector one at a time. If the engine idle changes when it's loosened then the injector is good. If the engine idle doesn't change at all, then chances are good that there is an issue with that injector.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Turn off the fuel shut off on tank if you have one. Or pinch the fuel line with a pair of pliers

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Not sure why it didn't shut off. And also not sure how hard it is to pull the injector on your model. I'm sure someone will chime in thag has had experience with your model

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you pull the dash cable (manual stop) will it shut off?

There is a electric stop solenoid on the top of the governor, it's on the rear of the injection pump, check the wiring to that solenoid, might have come off when working on it.

I wouldn't worry about changing oil out till we get the injection problem ironed out, that would be the reason there is raw fuel in the oil. ;)

If Idle or run didn't change when you crack a line to a cylinder, then yes you have a problem with that injector or maybe that port on the injection pump. The injectors are easy to remove here is a picture of what your dealing with.

Attachments

Last edited:

Glovelis

Equipment
M8200
Jun 30, 2014
Stonewall, Ok
From that diagram, do I need 050 060 or both?

No, the dash pull stop would not kill it either. But I have never used it.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you can't get it to shut down with either the key or the pull cable then I'm thinking you have injection pump problems.
It sounds like it keeps feeding it fuel, does it change tone like it's trying to shut down?

Simple test would be to pull all the injector lines, crank it and look at the pattern of the fuel coming out of the injection pump, it all the output ports match fuel output then it might be as simple as a bad injector.

Pull all the injectors out and take them to a local Fuel injection shop and get them tested, cleaned and repaired.

If you were to just do a replacement, the Injectors on your model are pretty pricey, The kit (50) is what you would want as it is all the needed parts for replacement.
P/N 1C010-53900 $112.27

Glovelis

Equipment
M8200
Jun 30, 2014
Stonewall, Ok
What if I just replace the one bad injector? That injector line was the only line that didn't effect idle when I loosened port nut. Or is it best to replace or repair all four at once?

I haven't checked the electric stop solenoid to see if I pulled a wire off, I'm hoping that is the problem with it not turning off.

Glovelis

Equipment
M8200
Jun 30, 2014
Stonewall, Ok
Pulled all four injectors out. I hope a little debris down in the whole doesnt hurt anything, I couldn't keep stuff from falling in the injector holes when i pulled them out. Anyway, I guess I will take all four to a shop on Tuesday. Not sure about why it wouldn't turn off earlier. Before pulling injectors there were several instances of the tractor doing weird things as I was loosening and removing lines from the pump ports with the tractor idling. For example, I started the tractor and it just kept revving higher and higher, I finally got it to slow down by loosening the first output port and had to squeeze a fuel line to get it to completely shut down. But, I remember the key turning it off right before that happened, so I don't know whats going on there. I could never find that kill switch solenoid wire mentioned above.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Before installing the injectors. Crank the motor over using the starter, and it will blow any crud out of there. Loosening the lines with it idling, introduces air to the lines. When it starts running lean, sometimes it will cause it to start increasing rpms, or not to shut down

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When you were bleeding the injectors did you do it at the pump or right at the injectors?

The stop solenoid is directly behind the injector pump output lines on top of the governor.

Attachments