Changeing Lift Arm

Skip44

Equipment
Jeeps, L2900, FEL, tiller, brush hog,post hole drill, rock rake
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
One of the long lift arms on my TPH is bent so I bought a new one. I removed the bolt that holds the pin in place. I then tapped the locking tab to rotate the pin but the tab broke off and the pin didn't move. So is the pin just frozen in place or is there something else I need to do. If the pin is frozen/corroded what are my options? Not sure if this matters but this is on my L2900.

Skip

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you've removed the lynch pins on the ends and removed the bolts, your down to PB Blaster and a BFH to get the pin to come out, heat is an option but I save that for last, hard to heat cast iron without causing issues. ;)

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
A couple of things I thought of trying are, weld a nut to the pin and use a wrench or drill and tap it then insert a bolt. What do you think?

Skip

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Why would you want to weld a nut to the pin?
Just use a hammer and drive the pin out. ;)

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
The pin is in a blind hole, I'll get a picture tomorrow.

Skip

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
Well I have been really busy but i did get a couple of pictures. Here you can see that the pin goes into a blind hole.
The second photo shows where the pin goes in.

Skip

Attachments

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
My Kubota was made before this engineer was born. I am glad. Still weld a flat washer over the pin and follow that up by welding a nut on top of the washer. use a wrench and twist it out if threaded. If not put a bolt in the nut and use a chisel to drive the pin out.

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
My Kubota was made before this engineer was born. I am glad. Still weld a flat washer over the pin and follow that up by welding a nut on top of the washer. use a wrench and twist it out if threaded. If not put a bolt in the nut and use a chisel to drive the pin out.
The washer is a good idea, I thought of using a nut welded to the pin but not the washer.

So I can weld a washer with a hole just a little smaller than the pin, then weld a good size nut to the washer. If I can't twist it out maybe I can use a slide hammer inserted in the nut.

Skip

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I'm going to be curious how this finally comes out. Please keep us posted.

Try Kroil as a liquid penetrating oil.

The slide hammer idea is a good one. Be sure to consider how long the shaft of the slide hammer is and if you've got enough room to work trying to make a straight-line 'whack' on the stuck pin.

I went out and checked my memory: both my slide hammers have a fine 5/8 thread so consider this when welding a nut (and be prepared for thread distortion due to heat and spatter) or make sure you have enough room to make an adapter of a bolt (to screw into the welded nut) crossed back to a nut that your slide hammer will screw into.

When reinstalling new pin I'd be inclined to have a machine shop drill all the way through end-to-end and install a grease zerk on the outer end. Next time you might be able to pump it out or at least lube it well for removal. Might find such a pin ready-made by looking around.

Please post back as you continue your efforts.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just drill it out, welding around that much cast could cause you problems, and if you weld on it you will not be able to drill it out afterwards!

If you start with a small drill bit and work your way up them you shouldn't have any problems. ;)

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
It will be next week before I get a chance to try anything, this week end is Jeep week end and I have Jeeps to get ready. Any way I don't like welding so close to cast so maybe I will drill and tap and then try the slide hammer. If that doesn't work then I will just drill it out. When I put in the new one I will make sure to put some anti-seize on it. Thanks for all the comments, they help.

Skip

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just another wild ass option, if you can fit a sawzall blade in between the ball in the arm and the cast you could just cut the pin on both sides that would save you a bunch of grief too. ;)

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
According to the L2900 parts diagram, it appears that the arms are secured with a lynch pin. But your photo shows something far different. Odd.

I could not find the mount on the transmission parts diagram for the L2900. :(

My questions are:

Was the other arm successfully removed so you know the construction of the pin? If not, then a photo of the intact side would provide a hint for a solution.

If so, then how is the shaft secured? Threaded? Roll pin (I don't see a hole in the photo)? Pressed? I think this is vital information to know before proceeding.

As a far out option, you could drill an access hole on the closed side and drive out the pin if it is not threaded. Then machine a hole in the closed side so an aftermarket pin will fit all the way through and secure it with lynch pins. However, it may be weaker leading to more complex problems.

Soaking the area with Ed's Red (1/3 each of acetone, transmission fluid, diesel fuel or paint thinner) should lubricate the threads if so equipped. But do the soaking after the welding!

You mention a new one. Do you have it and thus know the construction? A photo of it would be a help.

Attachments

Last edited:

Skip44

Equipment
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
Yes, all good ideas. Now just need the time to try some of them

GWD, your diagram does not match up to my tractor, here is a picture of the other intact side. Also not sure if I can drill through the case because I don't know if it is hollow and contains vital components.

The first picture shows the bolt that comes out to allow the pin to come out. The second picture shows the outside of the case, where the pin is captured.

Skip

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
how is the shaft secured?

As a far out option, you could drill an access hole on the closed side

It had a securing tab that he broke off trying to remove the pin.

That would be a really bad Idea, as it's the final drive case and fluid would just pour out when he was done! ;)

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Yes, all good ideas. Now just need the time to try some of them

GWD, your diagram does not match up to my tractor, here is a picture of the other intact side. Also not sure if I can drill through the case because I don't know if it is hollow and contains vital components.

The first picture shows the bolt that comes out to allow the pin to come out. The second picture shows the outside of the case, where the pin is captured.

Skip
Ah, thanks for the photo. So the tab that broke off was attached to the shaft. Then it appears the bolt holds the shaft/tab in position. It does not seem that the shaft would be threaded in that circumstance since rotating the tab would be required to remove the shaft. Had that been the case then there would be a bolt head on the shaft instead of a tab. Such a bolt head could be secured in a number of ways. So the shaft should just slide out.

Of course, a new replacement shaft/tab would answer that issue quite nicely. So would taking off the existing shaft from the intact side.

It seems like you just need something to be able to grab onto the broken end and then slide the shaft out. So perhaps drilling and threading a hole in the broken end of the shaft would allow an inserted bolt to be grabbed. Unfortunately, the shaft is likely hardened metal so welding on a bolt may accomplish the same thing with less of a problem.

Welding on a washer/nut works very well for threaded shafts but not so much for sliding shafts. A short bolt would allow some leverage (or a slide hammer as previously suggested) to grab onto. However, the access to the area looks a bit limited for larger tools.

As far as the solid outside pin containing structure is concerned, and despite comments from the uniformed, there is no way that structure is hollow and contains hydraulic fluid. Drilling a small hole in it so the pin might be driven out is logical.

Kubota making that structure hollow, full of fluid, part of the hydraulic reservoir, and also having a blind hole for the pin cast in one side is completely illogical and contrary to engineering practices and principles. That tab would be so weak that snapping it off would be a common occurrence given the stresses on the lower lift arm. But consider the source.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Looking at the photos, it looks like getting a replacement pin is gonna be the best bet.
Now, removing the old pin. Looks like the tire would need to be removed to allow comfortable access. Looks like the simplest solution for removing the pin is a BFH, a punch and die grinder with cut off wheel, or grinder with thinest cut off wheel you can find.

Drive the pin in till it hits the case. Cut it off and repeat till it's all out. Make sure and use a face shield with the cut off wheel incase it binds and snaps.

Might also be a good idea to check and see if you can locate a proper replacement pin before attempting this.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Looking at the photos, it looks like getting a replacement pin is gonna be the best bet.
Now, removing the old pin. Looks like the tire would need to be removed to allow comfortable access. Looks like the simplest solution for removing the pin is a BFH, a punch and die grinder with cut off wheel, or grinder with thinest cut off wheel you can find.

Drive the pin in till it hits the case. Cut it off and repeat till it's all out. Make sure and use a face shield with the cut off wheel incase it binds and snaps.

Might also be a good idea to check and see if you can locate a proper replacement pin before attempting this.
Interesting and creative solution. It does look a very thin cut-off wheel might fit between the ball on the arm and the case.

However, the remaining very end of the pin would still be stuck in the transmission case when done. Then the OP would be back to square one on how to get the remaining end of the pin out of the case.

Whatever would work to get out that remaining end would most likely work on the entire pin. Access might be easier to the end of the full pin rather than the remaining end that would be somewhat embedded in the transmission case.

However, if the OP can get out the full pin then the retaining tab could be plug welded back on (after drilling a hole in it). This would avoid buying a new pin/tab...if they are available. I still haven't found a part number or diagram showing it. Maybe someone else could help out.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
So, does the pin imbed into the transmission, or does it go all the way through?