Hydraulic fluid location. HK-28L

MaiNiaK

Equipment
HK-28L
Aug 31, 2014
US, Maine
I recently bought a 1987 Kubota KH-28L excavator. I know this is probably a silly question but how do you top off the hydraulic tank?
On top of the hydraulic tank there is a plate with 6 bolts holding it in place. There is also a breather and a center nut. The center nut is the size you would find on a newer plow pump (would need as squeeze bottle tip).

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
does the HK use tranny supply of oil as hydaulic oil? Most older tractors do. Topping up Tranny tops up hydraulic oil. Not sure yours is same though. Others will chime in for more clarity.

MaiNiaK

Equipment
HK-28L
Aug 31, 2014
US, Maine

The hydraulic tank is right behind the diesel tank. You can see the fluid view window right where the hydraulic fluid tank is.

I don't believe this excavator has a transmission. I believe everything is hydraulic. (But I could be wrong)

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
... (But I could be wrong)
So could I :p
I do have to appologize though.... I was thinking yours was a tractor not an excavator. did not see that till after I hit "Send":eek:

MaiNiaK

Equipment
HK-28L
Aug 31, 2014
US, Maine
Ok, I've figured out how to fill the hydraulic tank.
You do have to take off the plate (cover) on top of the tank with the 6 bolts.

Notice the location of the breather on top of the cover and the location of the tube with the spring in the top.

The way the previous owner had the cover on that tube landed between the breather and the round dowel welded to the bottom of the cover.
If you turn the cover 1 bolt hole clockwise that dowel fits right into that tube with the spring.
I wonder why he had the cover turned or is there a reason he had it turned back 1 hole counter clockwise.
Does anyone know what that tube is for ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I did some research on your unit and was about to come back with a big old goose egg of sorry no info as it must be a gray/grey market unit... then I looked over the pic's again.

UMMMM you don't have a HK-28L :eek:
You have a KH-28L ;)

Much easier to order parts with that little detail being right! :p

Oh and that is one sweet looking unit! :cool:

The part inside the reservoir that has the spring on it is the pick-up strainer.
You could pull it off and clean it.
Only reason someone would turn the cover one bolt hole off is they didn't have the insight how to put it back together properly.

Attachments

Last edited:

MaiNiaK

Equipment
HK-28L
Aug 31, 2014
US, Maine
Oops... Sorry about that. I was trying to upload photos at the same time I was posting and got my letters mixed up.

Thank you very much for that info. It had me puzzled.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No apologies necessary, just wanted to save you some grief later on trying to find parts and info.;)