Broken HST filter bracket and problem

zload

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2400HSD/47 John Deere Model M
Apr 14, 2015
FL
B2400HSD Broken HST filter bracket and problem

I got a large limb jammed up under the tractor a couple of weeks ago and it broke the HST filter bracket and dumped the fluid. I got the parts in, new short steel line that runs from the rear end to filter, O-rings, filter and fluid. When I put it all back together it is leaking (constant drip not spray) where the two lines connect to the filter base/bracket.

Pretty difficult to tell but it looks to be coming from the steel line running to the front of the tractor (cooler/pump). I installed new O-rings at all connection points but when connecting the long line I had to straighten it a bit to get the pipe to go into the filter mount. I think the fluid dump came from that same area not the filter itself, the bracket was jammed pretty good by the limb.

I'm thinking that the flange is not pulling up flush to the bracket on one side maybe bent/canted from the impact and need that line new as well.

Is there any secret technique to the double O-ring installation? I've worked on the hydraulic banjo fittings before with no issues but this is my first time with the flanged double O-ring fitting. Looks pretty bullet proof unless the flange is bent.

As far as installing I insert both lines with O-rings into bracket then insert the bolts and get everything lined up and then tighten alternating so one is not canted etc. finally bolt the bracket to the transmission does not appear to be under any stress just insert bolt and tighten.

Last edited:

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I work with refrigerant near daily. Double Orings wont fly in that application. I can't imagine it would with hydraulics either. Sure you didnt knick or roll any rings?

zload

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 14, 2015
FL
I work with refrigerant near daily. Double Orings wont fly in that application. I can't imagine it would with hydraulics either. Sure you didnt knick or roll any rings?
I know it sounds weird but that is the Kubota method for these lines per the WSM/Online Parts Diagram. Its the return circuit from the transmission through the filter and into the oil cooler. :)

zload

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 14, 2015
FL
Well a new $50 hydraulic line fixed the leak issue, bolted right up and no leaking, apparently the old one was bent enough that the mating surfaces were not lining up close enough to seal.

While I was working on it I replaced a leaking fuel filter bowl, the oring on the fuel filter cutoff lever and put a quick connect on for my battery maintainer.

Now I just need all of this tropical moisture to go away and let my garden spot dry out some.