Kubota B5100 smoke

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hey, it could be a whole lot worse. At least you get to stand up while you're working on it, and have easy access. And the repair cost is minimal.

Smagner234

Equipment
Kubota B5100DT FEL, B36 Tiller, 44" Mdi Mower, Front snowblower
Aug 15, 2016
Ct USA
I managed to get the broken off bolt out, it actually wasn't that hard. I was forced to use an extractor. I'm pretty sure I got lucky. The striped nut was a bit more of a challenge. I fired the tractor back up and it still sounds a bit tingy. It can't be the shims as they could not be any cleaner.. Does rebuilding the injector pump effect fuel timing? And is it possible that the motor ran for so long increctly that it would cause this noise once it was fixed? I kinda at a loss here. On a good note I started and ran the tractor in my workshop with the door closed and there wasn't any smoke.. I could have never done this before.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No rebuilding the pump will not change timing.
Recheck valve lash as if the valves are too tight they can make it sound tinny.
Turn the crank back and forth by hand and check to make sure there is no slop in the mains or the rods.
Otherwise just run it as it sounds like you have ironed out all the issues. ;)

Smagner234

Equipment
Kubota B5100DT FEL, B36 Tiller, 44" Mdi Mower, Front snowblower
Aug 15, 2016
Ct USA
Thanks Wolfman,
I double checked the lash again for I think the third or fourth time now, cracked the injector lines while running to try and isolate the sound (read that trick on a post in the site here) and everything seems to be fine. I also had the gentlemen at the fuel injection shop listen to the engine and he felt that it was normal. So I'm putting a fork in this and calling it done. Thank you very much for all of the advice and help along the way!!

Scott