B6100 New purchase

Mad Macs

Equipment
B6100
Hi,
New to this forum and to a Kubota B6100 which I recently purchased. The previous owner had parked it outside under a hedge for a long time so its in need of some TLC.
Mechanically it seems in good order, starts and runs well with a nice engine note, all the gears work, hi and low and forward and reverse. The tin work is fair for a tractor of this age, it still has most of it anyway, and nothing that can't be repaired. A new set of tyres have made a big difference but there are a couple of issues I would like some advice on if anyone can help.
I am trying to find an original pattern seat, mine has completely rusted through and not repairable. Is there anyone in the UK that can supply one, I have struggled online to find a supplier.
Secondly my B6100 does not have any charging alternator or dynamo...is this correct? If not (and how can it be?) what would be a suitable replacement and where does it fit on the engine?
Hope there is some advice that might push me in the right direction.I have searched this forum but could not find any relevant answers so thought I might post this request.
Any help appreciated.

Tim

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Great to have ya here.

there are places to get your seat - HERE in the states......not sure what that shipping charge is gonna be!:D

as for the charging system - there is a dyno, you might think it is a water pump........there is NO water pump, and you should be getting 14.5 volts at WOT when running.

PM me if you have any problems with the ol Dyno - I have learned mine all too well over the last year!

Mad Macs

Equipment
B6100
Hi 85Hokie,

Thanks for the swift reply, I love it when someone proves what an idiot I am!
Been looking at the "water pump" for a while thinking, how does the water get through it with the top rad hose being where it is....?
I am presuming that the dynamo is of the permanent magnet variety, hence it's size.
I will run it up and see what I am getting out of it...if anything!

Cheers.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Also if you don't already have the WSM (service manual), go to Kubotabooks.com and download the three part manual. ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi 85Hokie,

Thanks for the swift reply, I love it when someone proves what an idiot I am!
Been looking at the "water pump" for a while thinking, how does the water get through it with the top rad hose being where it is....?
I am presuming that the dynamo is of the permanent magnet variety, hence it's size.
I will run it up and see what I am getting out of it...if anything!

Cheers.
Mac,

yup on the permanent magnets.....and IF you have a bearing go bad.....this is what is looks like!!!!

[/IMG]

and that is a LOT of metal shavings..........

Mad Macs

Equipment
B6100
Well I have given it a run and put the meter over the output of the dynamo and....siltch!

No volts, nothing!
Did a continuity check and couln't get any resistance across the windings!
Not looking to good so far.
Does anyone know what resistance I should be getting...if any?
Also should I be able to detect any external magnetism from the permanent magnets. the dynamo is still on the tractor at present!

Thanks.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Well I have given it a run and put the meter over the output of the dynamo and....siltch!

No volts, nothing!

Thanks.
If you are reading directly from the 2 wires that come out of the dynamo you need your meter set on AC. You do not get DC voltage until it passes through the rectifier under the dash. If I recall correctly you should get somewhere between 30 to 40 volts AC at wide open throttle.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As stated, the output via the two leads NEEDS to be measured in AC!
CHECK voltage at battery while off, then check running

Mad Macs

Equipment
B6100
Thanks Hokie and Sam,

Tested out on AC and got a reading!
Tick over was around 20v and just over 30v when at WOT.

Battery was reading 12.97v when running and ...12.97v when not! So I am presuming regulator is not working although I have next to check the wiring loom with the meter to eradicate any broken wires or dry joints.
The regulator looks like a sealed unit so it's either good or busted I presume.
Getting there slowly thanks to all you guys.