Damn. Antifreeze in the intake manifold and engine won't crank.

Sgtwal

Jun 9, 2014
Terre Haute, IN.
I think my B6100E and D750 are toast.
I bought this as a basket case and after a fist full of barked knuckles it ran like a sewing machine and worked like a champ.
Then after it sat a while it won't crank over. It comes to a stop when cranking like it has hit something solid inside.
When I pulled the intake off to start to pull the head to look for FOD I found it had antifreeze in the manifold.
Maybe I'm wrong but that sounds like a cracked head.
At over a grand for a new head assembly I may have some used parts for sale soon.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Have you made sure it's not just the head gasket?

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Get a radiator pressure tester - then pump it up to about 15 psi and see if you can spot the leak. If pressure drops and you don't have an external leak, that will be a good start to finding out exactly what went wrong.

Or you can just disassemble, check everything as best you can, replace the gaskets (have head tested for cracks), hope the block is okay, and reassemble.

Good luck.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sarg, it may very well just be a head gasket. Gotta think positive! Like CountryBumkin said, pressurize the cooling system to see if you can determine where the leak is.

When you remove the head look for signs of a gasket leak. Take the head to a machine shop and have them magnaflux it. You'll then know for sure of it's health. THEN decide on what direction you want to take.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think my B6100E and D750 are toast.
I bought this as a basket case and after a fist full of barked knuckles it ran like a sewing machine and worked like a champ.
Then after it sat a while it won't crank over. It comes to a stop when cranking like it has hit something solid inside.
When I pulled the intake off to start to pull the head to look for FOD I found it had antifreeze in the manifold.
Maybe I'm wrong but that sounds like a cracked head.
At over a grand for a new head assembly I may have some used parts for sale soon.
Head gasket is $45
New head is $450
Used head is less.

Sgtwal

Jun 9, 2014
Terre Haute, IN.
Well finally had time to pull the head. All 3 cylinders had water in them.
Checked piston travel and everything look OK. Am looking for a local shop to have the head checked.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's very common when one cylinder has water other can too because of the way the intake and exhaust is set up.

If the head is cracked you can usually see it, it will crack between the intake and the exhaust or pre-chamber or glow plug.

Sgtwal

Jun 9, 2014
Terre Haute, IN.
Finally had time to pull head and have it checked. The found 2 cracks in 2 cylinders running from the intake valve to the glow plug cover.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a source for a good used head, or a super deal on a new one?

Sgtwal

Jun 9, 2014
Terre Haute, IN.
I found a brand new naked head on the internet for $450.
In my mind a new head for less would be nice, and a good used head with valves already seated for less than half that for an example.
However, we can't always what we wish for can we?