Voltage Regulator bad???

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
The oil sensor light and the temperature gauge worked fine. I moved the tractor over to Corvallis and when I went to unload it I didn't have any oil pressure light or starter when I went to start the tractor. The fellow who was with me smacked the voltage regulator with something and the oil light came on and it started.

It worked fine for several weeks. Last week I noticed I didn't have any oil pressure lights when the ignition switch is turned on. The tractor starts fine, but the temperature gauge now isn't functioning. It looks like the voltage regulator has been smacked before by the dents in the cover.

My question is: Do you think the lack of oil pressure light when the ignition is turned (yes the other end is plugged into the sensor) and the temperature gauge not reading can be due to the voltage regulator gone bad???

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Nope. Voltage does just that, regulates voltage. Its a fault within the circuitry in the dash or ignition switch. Regulator does virtually nothing intil engine is running. Beating on it may knock dirt out of the contacts to make it charge again.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The beating part has nothing to do with the VR - like Frank said, that is a post start situation - when "beating" on it - something else is making a connection - I would start with battery and work backwards. or forwards and make every connection "bright" and "tight" - I think you will find your problem somewhere along those ......lines!;):)

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
Yeh, makes sense. Since it starts and runs fine, I'm guessing you are correct in thinking it is connections under the dash.

Heck, I did a complete rebuilt on the engine in this L345DT, but when it comes to electricity I'm a duck out of water.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Tapping on it doesn't usually affect the voltage regulator - but the nearby fuse holders are sometimes corroded just enough to lose break/make contact with vibration. I'd try shining up them up. L345 wiring diagram attached.

In my experience the connections under the dash have not been a weak point, except when the switches get loose and rotate in the hole, winding up the wires. Good luck, Dick B

Last edited:

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
Thanks for the diagram. That should be a big help trouble shooting the problem. Hopefully it isn't a yellow jacket nest beneath the dash:eek:

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
Just an update with a happy ending. It seems the problem was what ever the connection bar that is located next to the voltage regulator. I loosened the nuts and sprayed the terminals with contact cleaner. Voile! I now have both the oil lights and the temperature gauge operational. Since both seem to share a common ground wire, I suspect the problem was ultimately and simply not having a good ground.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
that "bad" ground has driven the best over that proverbial edge. Often overlooked, but only once!:D:)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Poor grounds create diagnostic nightmares.forcing power wgeee it shouldnt be, powering things out of turn.

Glad you found it. Someone else will see this and perhaps solve their problem too,makes all this worthwhile.