Hst filter leak

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I finished my mid pto gear case replacement. (piks to come when I get this new problem resolved) All was well until I filled everything back up with SUDT.

On the left hand side of the mid pto shaft there is an HST suction filter "HH670-37710." It keeps leaking. I tightened it by hand as much as I physically could muster.

I thought maybe something was defective with the filter and I have a spare so I swapped it out. I cleaned where it gets screwed in to the max, everything looked good. Now the second new filter, still leaks. I went to napa and bought a cap style filter and used my ratchet to tighten it up even more.

Still leaking.

Here's a shot of my first replaced filter top. I screwed it on so tight the metal started to scrape. I guess I can remove it and take a picture so you guys can check it out but I have to run out for a few hours.

What gives!? I just poured four gallons of SUDT fluid in there. I'm beyond frustrated. :(

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Did the gasket on the old filter stay stuck to the base?

How does the sealing surface on the filter base look?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Did the gasket on the old filter stay stuck to the base?

How does the sealing surface on the filter base look?
First thoughts exactly .....

the old gasket can EASILY get stuck on the block or filter base.

You mentioned that you used a NAPA filter the second time (or 3rd) - was the first filter a kubota filter?

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
The gasket did not stick to the sealing area, it came off with the filter. Yes it looked clean and smooth.

When I put the new filter in I applied some sudt to the gasket.

To clarify, I picked up a cap style filter wrench at Napa store so I could tighten it better. I thought it simply wasnt on tight enough. Both of the filters are Kubota Oem.

Im at the airport right now I'll take it off and screw it on again and take more pictures asap!

Again, I replaced a few hundred filters in my life. I'm stumped!

Any advice appreciated!!!

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
I finished my mid pto gear case replacement. (piks to come when I get this new problem resolved) All was well until I filled everything back up with SUDT.

I tightened it by hand as much as I physically could muster.

:(
Maybe too tight? and crushing gasket? just a guess

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Maybe there is high spot(s)?
Maybe things are not aligned?

An old trick is to ise a piece of glass with petroleum on it to see where the high spots are.

If you can not get the nipple out try lipstick and a piece of flat metal.

Ray

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Are you sure it's not leaking from above and running around the filter?

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
There is an o-ring where the filter base mates with housing. I would clean up everything and try to work to the highest spot for oil leakage. In that position it could be that housing or the o-ring.

A couple of things, your filter is the hydraulic that's giving you the issue and always reference things as you would be sitting in the seat.

Pat

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Thanks for the replies guys. I got back home after 5 hours and it was leaking just slightly. I took off the filter and gave it a quick wipe and cleaned it up again. I put it back on with my cap oil filter wrench (Which is 80mm 15 flute by the way) and it held.

I ran the tractor for about 30 minutes and drove it up and down my drive. So far so good.

It's a mystery to me.

Thanks again and while I'm at it before I get ahead of myself, and write about my experience installing the mid pto case can you guys give a listen?

I've never heard it running on this B2650, just my old B3350, and it had the pto bar thing and the snow blower installed onto it, so I don't know what a normal sounding mid pto shaft should sound like. It almost sounds like it's clicking? :eek:

https://youtu.be/xqbPQrp-8Nw

Please let me know, I don't like to go off topic but I'll re-add the link on my final write up for anyone else who might be able to profit from my adventure. :p

Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks again and while I'm at it before I get ahead of myself, and write about my experience installing the mid pto case can you guys give a listen?

I've never heard it running on this B2650, just my old B3350, and it had the pto bar thing and the snow blower installed onto it, so I don't know what a normal sounding mid pto shaft should sound like. It almost sounds like it's clicking? :eek:

https://youtu.be/xqbPQrp-8Nw

Please let me know, I don't like to go off topic but I'll re-add the link on my final write up for anyone else who might be able to profit from my adventure. :p

Thanks!
You have some thing wrong, either a part was put in there wrong or some other issue! :eek:

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
You have some thing wrong, either a part was put in there wrong or some other issue! :eek:
What could possibly have gone wrong? I pryed the seal off, removed the ring, reassembled the shaft exactly as it came out into the new gear casing. Reinserted the ring and pushed in the new new seal, applied the gasket material, and reinstalled the housing just as it came off. It didn't appear to have any fitment issues.

Bearing issues? Not seated correctly? More importantly, could something else have been damaged while I engaged the pto, even in low?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would say with it being a consistent sound, some debris is in either one of the teeth or a bearing is bad or has something in it.

Did you move the alignment pins from the old case to the new case?

Sorry to hear your having issue, can you turn the shaft by hand and feel for a click?

Last edited:

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
It happens. Nobody's fault but my own. I just hate it when my wife tells me I told ya so :p

No I didn't move the pins from the old case to the new. I tried moving the shaft by hand but wasn't able.

I was extra careful trying to keep everything clean. I wore nitrile gloves, wiped down my table, used brake cleaner then an air compressor on the new parts. I guess it's possible some debris got inside somehow...

I went out and bought the permatex gasket remover to help me clean the surface. It was covered. It even got into the bolt holes from the factory and it was all over the bolts when I undid them. It dried to a rubber and I cleaned those up too. When I used a rag at first to wipe the gasket remover down I got a bunch of lint flying around when I did it. So I sprayed everything (the open case attache to the tractor) down with brake cleaner and wiped it down with a lint free cloth. Maybe I put on too much gasket material and it overflowed into the inside? Maybe I sprayed some of the lint up into the gears? :confused:

Once I pried the edge of the seal off, the ring came out simply with the pliers. I didn't know it sat inside a groove and that's how it worked. Once I did that the whole shaft came out with the bearings attached to it. I simply dropped it in the new case and it fit like a glove.

Ah well. They're picking it up tomorrow to check out both my problems. I'm not going to risk doing anything else.

That being said, I'm ordering my trailer tomorrow. I hope to be able to drive the thing home myself and start recouping on my investment. If I ordered the dang thing sooner I would have just driven it to the shop and got warrantied service.

If Woody would have went straight to the police...

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Picture number 2. Is that the old case? You can see the balls for the back bearing.

Picture number 5, looks like the back bearing is in a different location :confused:

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
#2 is the new case. You can see the nice threads where the bolt goes.

Here are 5 shots in succession of the old case as I took it apart.

I literally just picked it up and put it in the new case. I can't see how anything got misplaced. It stayed together as one piece and dripping with fluid. :confused:

It's too bad it didn't work out. Would have made a nice write up. I've got another 15 shots I didn't upload.

Attachments

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That's a pretty straight forward set up and design by the looks. Could be a manufacturing defect in the case. One of the bearings could be in a slight bind.

Please keep us informed as to what you find out :)

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
When you assembled the shaft and bearings in the new case, did you spin it by hand a few times? If yes, was it smooth - did you feel any roughness or did it feel like the bearing wanted to stop/rest in any one spot?

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Will do. You guys aint gettin rid of me that easy. :p

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
When you assembled the shaft and bearings in the new case, did you spin it by hand a few times? If yes, was it smooth - did you feel any roughness or did it feel like the bearing wanted to stop/rest in any one spot?
I did spin it. It felt smooth and clean. The oil was still churning around with it. I honestly thought I did a perfect job. I'll update when I get the word from the mechanics on both of my issues I had. I just hope they go easy on me with the bill. I'm praying it's a defect in the materials.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I did spin it. It felt smooth and clean. The oil was still churning around with it. I honestly thought I did a perfect job. I'll update when I get the word from the mechanics on both of my issues I had. I just hope they go easy on me with the bill. I'm praying it's a defect in the materials.
You probably did everything right.
Maybe the problem was already there and that's what caused the seal leak and required you to start the job in the first place.