Oil Seal Replacement

Bkeeper

Equipment
F3060
Jun 22, 2019
Mount Pleasant, PA
I have had the F3060 that I purchased used and had several of you help with blade replacement, up and running, mowing grass for a couple weeks now. A great mowing machine and a lot off to drive. I have not changed the hydro/trans fluid yet and it is a bit low. I realized that when I wanted to add fluid I wasn't sure what was in it and figured that it was a good time to change it completely. The service manager at a local dealership said that it would be a good time to change the front seal that encompasses the PTO shaft. It is part# (40) 66301-15850. He said that it was easily replaced from the outside. Could someone give me a little advice on how to replace it. Do I just run a screwdriver around the outside lip until I can pry it out? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Exactly as Dave’s video link points out, don’t hammer the screwdriver in it or use a seal puller between the seal and the shaft. Those seal pullers are only useful when there is no shaft in the way. Unsure of the area you are working in and if you have the slide hammer/vice grip setup up but stay away from both outer bore and the shaft.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I've had great luck punching a small hole in the metal part of the seal, next to the rubber with an ice pick... then screwing in a small slide hammer with a sheet metal screw in it. A few taps and it's out, with no damage to shaft or housing.

Last edited: