Document tube destroyed

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Not sure what to call it, but there is (was) a weather proof tube that is mounted to the side of my brush hog that holds the owners manual and a couple spare sheer bolts and nuts. Was there at least until the squirrel from hell decided to chew through over half the cap and a good quarter of the manual. Found the damage this past Friday when I went to hook up to mow.

Anyone know the correct term for that thing, and if I can get one aftermarket? A quick search on Rural King's site did not produce any results. I need a new manual as well but I'll be ordering that from Woods and keeping it in the house. The one I currently have is a bit short on content. Damn rodents

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
We use them at work. We also use the ones linked below on equipment that has enough space for them. The nice thing about the ones below is the manual stays flat. Manuals stored in the round tubes take on a permanent curl and it makes them a pain to use.

All my manuals are kept in the house or garage. They stay nice and flat and are much less exposed for damage.

https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Pak-9...ocphy=9006787&hvtargid=pla-571038676788&psc=1

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Not sure what to call it, but there is (was) a weather proof tube that is mounted to the side of my brush hog that holds the owners manual and a couple spare sheer bolts and nuts. Was there at least until the squirrel from hell decided to chew through over half the cap and a good quarter of the manual. Found the damage this past Friday when I went to hook up to mow.

Anyone know the correct term for that thing, and if I can get one aftermarket? A quick search on Rural King's site did not produce any results. I need a new manual as well but I'll be ordering that from Woods and keeping it in the house. The one I currently have is a bit short on content. Damn rodents
I've ordered them from both Woods and JD before.

Do not expect your dealer to have one in stock.

Dean

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Thanks Everyone. I'll get one on order. I like having extra sheer bolts there on the implement ready to go. The manual will now live indoors.

As for that squirrel, he may have gotten lucky for now. I do not have a direct line of site back to where I keep my implements. So picking him off with the 22 from the porch is not an option. He is quite happy in all those beech and hickory trees and quite hidden. Fatten up my friend, fatten up. I see some stew in my future and you are the main guest.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Squirrel talk...how ironic.

Went to a friend's house this evening to pay an overdue visit. I get there and hes standing out in the back yard with an old pellet gun and the look on his face was one that I have seen before. Frustration. Sheer frustration. So my first word was "did ya miss?" Then I got another look that told me all I needed to know. Turned out he was trying to kill a big old fox squirrel that was crouched in the crotch of a tree limb motionless. He handed me the pellet gun and I handed it back to him & told him to show me what the deal is. So he raised up, aimed, squeezed a "round" off and missed again. Would you believe this. That danged old squirrel looked over and started barking at him, as if it was laughing. My friend said this has been going on all afternoon and he was pretty upset about it.

So I told him hold on, I'l be back in 10 min. I run home, grabbed my Benjamin and a few pellets, went back over there & picked that squirrel off in no time flat. One shot. Little turd didn't even have a chance to laugh at me; popped him right below the ear broadside, deader'n a hammer immediately.

'Course my friend was relieved and even more frustrated at the same time. So next project....get him over to the house & find out why his OLD (1950's) pellet gun is off. I set up a range out in the shop so I can plink when there's some rare spare time. It ain't 45 foot from bench to backstop but it don't matter. With mine, hitting the bulls-eye became uninteresting after a couple rounds so I started trying to challenge myself to see how many pellets I can stuff through the same hole. So far, 8 is about all I have been able to do. Still need to work the trigger a little. Two stage and I'm not a fan of it but it IS adjustable.

KTOY

Equipment
B9200 hst, Case 580SL
Jun 20, 2019
Brookfield, NH
And being a novice, I thought it looked like an empty caulking tube. Could work

Last edited: