Sickle bar mower advice

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not that fond of any string trimmer simply because of the time involved in changing (cords-strings) when the break.

A review from you will be nice however. Let us know how long the string-cord lasts before changing.

The other thine I don't like it the cut width. You are limited to the swept area of the string and watching the video, don't appear to be much.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thanks guys for the great responses. Is there a brand and model that will work best for me and allow to find parts in the future should/when the need arises? I do not have remote hydraulics so a manual cutter would be it. I would like to install another rear circuit, but that***8217;s another issue. Again thanks
If I had my heart set on a three point mounted sickle bar mower, I would get a NH 451 eccentric.

Modern (as sickle bar mowers go), bar will operate in any position, including transport, and parts are still available.

Had one once, rebuilt it COMPLETELY, and sold it for less than I had in it.

Yes, if in good (really good) condition, it cuts well and will cut at any angle.

Like all sickle bar mowers, you need to keep your speed up to assure that cut material falls over and behind the bar. Not useful for trimming short grass.

SDT

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Yep, pretty much what I was thinking. Dang Flip if I had your money I could buy both.;)
I'm pretty tapped out right now. Just bought new knives and buhings for the disc bine, quick 265 bucks and me doing the install... That and my first tractor payment on the M9 I bought $814.99 every 3 months for 5 years. Only money right?

made 800 bucks today in 5 hours running round bales though.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Irregardless of cost, the mower looks to be a much more 'robust' machine. I don't have a grass under the fence issue here, the cattle keep it trimmed nicely...:D

KTOY

Equipment
B9200 hst, Case 580SL
Jun 20, 2019
Brookfield, NH
6 month free trial might be another option. Of course shipping to and from is not refunded: prolly $200.

KTOY

Equipment
B9200 hst, Case 580SL
Jun 20, 2019
Brookfield, NH
My initial findings of the DR trimmer are as follows: changing out the cords with the new drum is quick and easy. The DR 175 mil blue cord seems to hold up the best. Since I do not have a fence to trim around, the spring back action is not needed. So I removed the grease fitting on the wheel and installed a set screw, and this allows me to use longer string which helps increase cutting width.
The trimmer does cut new brush and tree growth within reason and takes care of grass and ferns quite well. I would say this unit with mods will work for me especially if I practice and remove some rocks and crap and smooth out areas along the sides of my driveway. There really is not much that can break on the trimmer and $1000 is doable for a new unit that requires little maintenance. It is also a lot easier to store than a sickle bar. If anyone has questions, go for it!
Please excuse typos, I***8217;m doing this on a phone.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I do not have the need to do this but I was thinking you could purchase a Swisher mower to do the road banks.There was one on CL for $600 last week. I think that I would fab a hitch that could rest across the bucket and pull the mower off the right side so the discharge is blowing away from the tractor and it would be ahead of you so that would be easy to keep an eye on it. I know there are limits to this type of mower but it may help some one if the terrain would allow it.