M6800SDT 4WD CAB - Engine oil Problem

JbirdM6800

Equipment
2008 M6800SDT Dual Traction 4WD CAB, LA1002-68C loader
May 12, 2017
New Market, AL, USA
Hello,

I have recently purchased my first orange tractor. It is a 2008 M6800SDT 4WD w/ CAB. Hours are 745.2. I purchased this from a coworker who was original owner. He claimed all service was done by dealer at recommended intervals. I called dealer to verify records, and he was correct, he had a service contract thru last year.

I had my local dealer complete a full service at 709 hours when I bought it. I have not used it much for work as I was troubleshooting a hydraulic air leak for quite a while. It ended up being an o-ring on the suction pipe near the pipe inlet at transmission case.

Anyway, I noticed in running it, I had to add engine oil every time I used it. Once the hydraulics were fixed, I Started using it more to bush hog my fields this spring. I noticed a LOT of oil consumption. I had to add 6 qts 3 days in a row. So the other day I filled it with new oil. I ran it for exactly 1 hour at operating RPM for bush hog (2200 engine, 540 PTO). I checked oil and dipstick is dry. I had to add 6 qts of oil to reach full mark again. Now for the bad part. The tractor runs and idles fine. No smoke at all, There is not a drop of oil leaking anywhere, I inspected entire engine looking for a leak and nothing. I parked it on my concrete driveway with cardboard for 4 days and nothing. I checked the clutch housing drain plug, dry as a bone. Engine runs great when I increase throttle, i can see heat coming from stack but not a bit of smoke. If I was burning 6 qts of oil shouldn't I see some smoke, or have a problem with it trying to runaway?

Any advice would be helpful. I have limited knowledge of diesel engines and how they work. If a cylinder was blown so bad to lose that much oil, shouldn't it run bad?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pull the injectors and inspect them for oil contamination.
If it's not leaking it, it's got to be burning it.
To have mass oil consumption with that few of hours seams rather odd???
What oil are you using?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That's not even safe to run using that much oil. You're talking half the tractors capacity in one hr.

Was it doing the same thing to original owner? Could be the reason he sold it.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
bet what causing the problem is the shop didn't put the pan plug snug when the serviced it for you or something simple stupid like that. Look her over real real good.

JbirdM6800

Equipment
May 12, 2017
New Market, AL, USA
My first oil change @ 709 hrs was with Kubota 10-40W. Since then I changed my self 2x, just to see because I could not believe how much oil I put in. These past 2 changes have been with Rotella T4 15-40w.
I know the owner well, he actually works for me for past 7 years. He sold it because he paid off his farm and sold all his beef cows. He planned on taking a few years off from farming and buy a new one when he retires. He has offered a full refund or to split repair cost if I take it to his dealer. I don't want a refund, if I can help it. I got the tractor for 20k, I have not been able yo find one like it for less than 30k especially with 700 hrs. I was there when 709 hr first service and oil that came out was close to correct volume.
My local dealer had it to change pump for original hydraulic problem. $2200.00 later it was a $1.85 o-ring that I ended up changing.
I will check injectors, any idea how long it should run if I shut the fuel off at the water separator? Seems like it may run if it's burning that much oil.
Not sure if this is possible without negative side effects

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JbirdM6800

Equipment
May 12, 2017
New Market, AL, USA
I will for sure, I am working on the injectors today. I have confirmed my usage 2x. Each hour I run u have to add 5 qts of oil. Oil pressure indicator appears to be working, and never comes on. I will post a video of tractor running later today if I could.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Use a hosting service to give us a link to the video.
Something like Youtube. ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If it's burning that much oil, you should be able to smell it. Got a couple engines at work that will burn a quart or two of oil a day. You can definitely smell it if the wind blows the exhaust at you or if it's either under cover in the wash Bay, or the shop.

When you had it in the driveway, on the cardboard, did you run the tractor at all to see if it only leaked when it was running?

JbirdM6800

Equipment
May 12, 2017
New Market, AL, USA
Ok, so it appears the engine oil is making its way into hydraulic oil in the transmission. After running 3 hours adding 15 qts of engine oil, I checked transmission/hydraulic dipstick, and when I pulled it, oil came gushing out, almost 3 gallons so far right out the dipstick hole by pto.
So... how could engine oil make it to the transmission? Is this possible? Could the dealer have hooked up a wrong line somewhere when changing pump?
I just serviced the entire suction line 4 hrs ago on meter or 3 days ago. Fluid was new along with suction filters and orings in tube and pump connections.
Also as I mentioned earlier, I pulled clutch drain plug and it was completely dry.
Any thoughts?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The only way to know if the dealer hooked something up wrong is to trace the lines for the hydraulic pump and see where they go.

Oil could be entering through the hydraulic pump if the lip seals hinky. But usually it's the other way around and hydraulic fluid leaks into the engine block. Could they have tied one of the power steering lines into an oil line?

JbirdM6800

Equipment
May 12, 2017
New Market, AL, USA
I'm checking now. I'm thinking it has to be a line pump oil directly into hydraulics. The sump was so full I had nearly 4 gallons of oil rush out of dipstick port into drain pan. I measured using old oil containers.
Absolutely crazy,

JbirdM6800

Equipment
May 12, 2017
New Market, AL, USA
Hydraulic Oil lines appear to be hooked up correctly. Looking from right side of machine. Top front pump line goes down behind pump and runs to rear pto cylinder. It has a double Tee spacer at about the foot board for 2 lines running up to loader control. The top left line runs up to power steering pump. The return line runs down and under cab back to sump

JbirdM6800

Equipment
May 12, 2017
New Market, AL, USA
I just drained entire system. Including dipstick overflow. Transmission/hydraulic sump had almost 70qts of oil. The engine only had 5qts. Every bit of engine oil I put in was pumped into hydraulic system somehow.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
My first thought was the hyd pump seal, but there's far more pressure in the hydraulic pump then there is in the engine, so if that was leaking, it would seem that hyd oil would overfill the engine's crankcase.

Wait. Is there a little steel oil line that runs to the hydraulic pump from the engine? I seem to remember seeing one at one point....engine oil lubricated the pump drive I think it was. Could be an issue there?

Crankcase vent hooked the transmission vent somehow?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is a first!
I was going to mention that as a possibility, but the odds are so against it are really great.

It sounds like the only logical answer is that the hydraulic pump is sucking oil in from the front seal, as others have said, it normally goes the other way.

JbirdM6800

Equipment
May 12, 2017
New Market, AL, USA
Nothing hooked to pump except double suction flange on bottom, and 2 pressure lines on top.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
This is a first!
I was going to mention that as a possibility, but the odds are so against it are really great.

It sounds like the only logical answer is that the hydraulic pump is sucking oil in from the front seal, as others have said, it normally goes the other way.
I was thinking the same thing. But was thinking as lugbolt was about the pressure being greater on the hydraulic side. But then I started thinking of the mechanical seals for my water pumps. When the seal starts to go, sometimes the vacuum created on the water side from pumping will draw the oil from the seal cavity.

JbirdM6800

Equipment
May 12, 2017
New Market, AL, USA
Could it be one of these 3 orings since the pump is supposedly new? Or should I just let the dealer who replaced pump look at it.
If it is a seal in the new pump I don't want to risk not having it covered under warranty by dealer who installed.
On the other hand, I don't want to pay another 1000.00 yo have an orings changed.

JbirdM6800

Equipment
May 12, 2017
New Market, AL, USA
I just checked my itemized invoice from pump replacement at the dealer. They did not replace oring 020 in bottom picture. The only o rings they replaced were the 2 pressure orings on top of pump