L245DT - Glow Plug System Query

John RHR

Equipment
L 245 DT (emeritus) L3902
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif
Folks -

Okay, progress continues.... Thanks to all that responded to my earlier queries and yes, I will post pics in the next few days.

I am not sure if the glow plugs are heating up. I'm kind of a redneck and tinkerer - My glow plug dash indicator is broken - the filament was burned out. I took it apart and put a short length of bailing wire across the two terminals as a temp fix.

I have power to the glow plugs, and an ammeter shows that the set draws 25 amps. I have full battery voltage at the plugs. However, when I turn the dash switch to preheat for ~35-45 seconds, I don't feel the plugs getting warm really. On my FIL Massey Ferguson, the glow plug gets *really* hot, so.... I'd like some feedback.

I measured the resistance of each plug in turn and it ranged from 1.5 to 1.8 ohms. Spec is 1.5 ohms, so it *seems* as if the plugs are okay, and they are drawing sufficient current. The circuit does not appear to be fused, and everything else seems reasonably in order.

So, bottom line - how hot should the glow plugs get to the touch in a normal preheat cycle? Is there something else that I am missing? Any constructive input is welcome and thanks all for your earlier assistance.

John

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If the filament is broke on the indicator, then your not receiving full power when the knob is in the glow plug position. You can check it with a test light. Wire comes from the knob for start and glow plug. Goes thru the indicator, then to the glow plugs. If it's wired like mine, it also applies power when you turn the knob to the start position.

Last edited:

OLDL245DT

Equipment
l245dt
Oct 1, 2017
Olympia
bailing wire, really. If you measured 25 amps I would say you are good. I tested mine and I had 9 volts at the first plug to battery negative. Then I turned it heat up and put my finger on it, yes I could feel them get hot. No I didn't burn by finger. You could have a short to the frame if you are drawing that much current. I suspect you are ok. Come on just burn one finger.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Replace the indicator. It isn't just an indicator, it's a resistor. If your baling wire doesn't have enough resistance, you could damage the wiring or cause the glow plugs to fail prematurely. Too much and it won't be warm enough. If they're like the plugs on my L1500, they're pretty long and may take a while to heat up on the outside end, although I haven't touched mine to see.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
According to Tractor Data your L245DT has a Kubota DH1101 engine.

From Kubotabooks.com, the manual for a L245DT and its wiring diagram for your tractor, has the GP's wired in series not parallel.

In my experience, many tractors with series wired glow plugs have been messed with by someone not knowing about series wired and they wire the GP's in parallel which does not work.

Series wired GP's will have two electrical wires on each GP and the last GP will have one of its electrical wires going to a ground on the engine block.

This marked up collection of two wiring schemes for GP's might make the comparison easier to understand.

I suggest you take some pictures of your engine and its glow plugs if you are not making progress in solving your problem. Then if the GP's are wired wrong you can be helped to fix this issue. Your description of the current draw and voltage measurements makes me think the GP's have been wired wrong. You should not measure 12 volts at each GP.

This next selection of photos shows a GP set wired wrong. It also shows the last plug with the ground wire to the block was on the wrong terminal of the GP.

This shows the two electrical terminals on a series wired GP. You can easily miss the fact that its has two terminals with an insulator in between.

Dave M7040

Last edited: