Bxpanded hydraulic pressure test and adjust kit

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Picked my shims today. For those that were interested in the part #s

31351-37970 1mm 40 psi
31351-37960 2mm 80 psi
31351-37950 4mm 160 psi

I believe the BXpanded kit came with a 3mm, not a 4mm. The pressure difference is an estimate. I will post my results when they are done.

Oh yea, they were 25 cents a piece.

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
I haven't done it, but I would think it should. Was going to do it tonight, but the shower sprung a leak in the wall. I hope the whole weekend doesn't turn out this way...........

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Can any of you who have done this pressure modification tell me if it affects the 3pt lifting power as well as the loader?
Not really sure how things work in there...

From what I understand it DOES affect all hydraulics other than transmission.

Duke

Equipment
2018 Kubota B2650 HDSC with FEL and 72â€￾ rear blade.
Jul 29, 2014
Metamora, MI
I've been lurking here watching this post and from all the great info here, I checked my pressure and was shocked to find that mine was only about 1550. DOH!

Some history............

I bought my '05 BX2230 with a FEL and 60" mower deck about a month ago with only 500 hours on it and there were hardly any scratches on the thing. I found the bucket curl and FEL lift capacity to be somewhat weak and looking at the OEM capacities, felt it should be able to do more. Probably explained why I found it in such good condition. I began my search here for answers. Good thing I did! I went to a distributer near me that sells Parker Hannifin products and purchased a 3000 psi hydraulic guage. They even mated it to a 3/8 npt SAE Female Hydraulic quick disconnect all for about $45. As soon as I got it home I grabbed the keys for the 'Bota, disconnected the top line for the FEL and popped on the gauge to the male connector. I fired her up, let it warm up and increased the throttle to just a hair under max. Pushed the joystick forward and read the gauge. About 1550 PSI. Shut her down, removed the Plug holding in the relief valve spring, added a quantity of 7 shims made from .1mm shim stock for a total of .7mm. Replaced the spring, shim, plug. I then fired her back up and read the gauge again. I now have about 1950 PSI. Ready to try her out with new muscles!:D

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Place the shims so they are between the spring and the plug so they go into the recess of the plug and NOT up into the housing. This will allow you to remove them more easily rather than fishing for them up in the housing!

Last edited:

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Got my shower plumbing fixed AND put the shims in the tractor. I guess the weekend turned out OK.
For those of you that are trying this without the kit, after you pull the plug out, pull the spring out of the plug and put the shims in the plug, then install the spring so that it holds the shims in place inside the plug and then reinstall the plug in the valve body. After putting them in this morning I got to thinking that someone might try to put the shims in the valve body and then put the spring and plug in. That would be a lot harder that way.
Now to try it out!

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Yep, more power is more better! When I first got the machine it felt kind of under powered. Now it does what I think it should. Took the pressure up to 1,950psi. It's kind of hard to measure how much power it has so I used the ability to pick up the front end as a measurement.
When it was new, at 3,000rpm it would just barely lift the front wheels off the ground.
Now, it will do it at 1,800 rpm.
This is one cheap up grade. I had the gauge and fittings so total cost was fifty cents.

Duke

Equipment
2018 Kubota B2650 HDSC with FEL and 72â€￾ rear blade.
Jul 29, 2014
Metamora, MI
Got my shower plumbing fixed AND put the shims in the tractor. I guess the weekend turned out OK.
For those of you that are trying this without the kit, after you pull the plug out, pull the spring out of the plug and put the shims in the plug, then install the spring so that it holds the shims in place inside the plug and then reinstall the plug in the valve body. After putting them in this morning I got to thinking that someone might try to put the shims in the valve body and then put the spring and plug in. That would be a lot harder that way.
Now to try it out!
Yup, that's why I included the note at the bottom of my reply.
Not that I tried to do it that way but just thought it would be a good idea to mention it in case somebody did. I din't see it mentioned anywhere prior.

I got to flex the new muscles and man what a difference it makes!
It's like a different tractor now that I have more lifting power.
The toothbar on the front of the bucket is more effective too when trying to uproot brush and sapplings.

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Oooopppss, sorry, I missed that on your post. I see the bold print at the bottom and think it is some catch phrase or auto signature or something.
I wouldn't have mentioned it if I had read that, just thought about it when I was putting the shims in.

skypros

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 2, 2018
Bend, OR
Sorry to bring up an old post....

Would someone be kind enough tell me what flat face connector and Gauge I need??
I have a BX23S

Thank You