Tiller HP question

Robinky

Equipment
L3901
Jul 14, 2019
Central KY
I have a L3901 HST and ran upon a king kutter 4 foot tiller that was priced so low I couldn't pass it up. I was wanting a 5 footer but this one is practically new and about 1/4 price of a new one. Anyway, I was checking it out and it says 25 hp maximum on a label on the tiller. Tractor is advertised at 32 HP at pto and 37 at engine and was wondering what is the deal with a maximum hp on the tiller. It has a slip clutch so that should take care of any problems I would think. If you keep the rpm's low, what does it matter what size the tiller is? I know it would relate to the gearbox in some way but if you keep it slow, it should work shouldn't it?

Thanks for your opinions,

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Please tell me it's not an XB model.
That model is made explicitly for smaller HP tractors, and yes putting more HP to it could very well do damage to it, as it has a much weaker gearbox.
There is no real easy way to limit HP, yes the slip clutch will help but if it's set wrong it will just break the gearbox.
Running it slower does not give it less HP, it just turns slower.

And if I understand correctly the three point hitch is non standard too, it's listed as a Cat 0 or Cat 1 limited.
What this means is the pin size or arrangements of the mount points will be smaller.

Will it work? it might, and might not.
Will it work flawlessly? it might, and it might not. ;)

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
I'ed bet it's underrated by at least 10HP, manufactures like to protect themselves. You do need to run at it's spec PTO speed, probably 540.
If you can make it fit, I wouldn't be too worried about using it.

Robinky

Equipment
L3901
Jul 14, 2019
Central KY
I took the tiller to the farm and hooked it to the 3901. It worked great. Would be perfect if it covered the tire tracks but I am just making food plots and I don't think the deer will care. I didn't plant anything today but will be in September. It did a great job though.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
glad it works for you ! The tire tracks are supposed to become the 'foot paths'. If you till it right, you'll have foot paths every 5' ( or whatever the tire width...).
In a veggy garden ,it helps keep weeds down and keeps rows straighter.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have to go with NIW on this one,, just because it fits dont mean its going to work. You are over powering it, yeah maybe the Mfg underrated the unit, but I have my doubts. Keep an eye on things and when it come apart, if it comes apart, let us know so someone else wont make the same mistake