Hydraulic Cutter Won't Raise

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
I have a M4800 that has a new aftermarket hydraulic system that was added by the Kubota dealership. It has worked for the past few years with a 7' Kodiak Cutter. No other hydraulic implements on farm. I replaced the 14' hydraulic line but it doesn't move the cutter. The hydraulic fluid is full and the line appears to fit right. Does it have to be primed or any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Re: Hydaulic Cutter Won't Raise

I have a M4800 that has a new aftermarket hydraulic system that was added by the Kubota dealership. It has worked for the past few years with a 7' Kodiak Cutter. No other hydraulic implements on farm. I replaced the 14' hydraulic line but it doesn't move the cutter. The hydraulic fluid is full and the line appears to fit right. Does it have to be primed or any suggestions would be appreciated.
Is the new hydraulic line connected via a Quick Disconnect?

If it is, it could be something has gotten into the disconnect and clogged it.

Did you use pipe tape on the connections?

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
The disconnect is the type that can be removed with a quick jerk on the hydraulic line. Would it make sense to remove the female coupler from the cutter's cylinder and see if fluid is making it to the end? Sounds like a possible mess but not sure what else to do. Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The disconnect is the type that can be removed with a quick jerk on the hydraulic line. Would it make sense to remove the female coupler from the cutter's cylinder and see if fluid is making it to the end? Sounds like a possible mess but not sure what else to do. Thanks.
That would be a quick disconnect, and yes you should pull the quick disconnect and check it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Re: Hydaulic Cutter Won't Raise

Is the new hydraulic line connected via a Quick Disconnect?

If it is, it could be something has gotten into the disconnect and clogged it.

Did you use pipe tape on the connections?
Plumbers tape is a big no on hydraulic connections., unless you make darn sure the tape don't protrude over the end of the threads. I tend to use a paste type sealant of Detroit Diesel anerobic sealant.

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
The new hydraulic line came with the male and female ends already attached. I did use Teflon tape to connect the female end of the line to the cutter's cylinder. I am positive that the tape did not extend over the inlet where it could block the flow of fluid but I'm more than willing to get some paste.

With that said, if I remove the line from the cylinder and leave the quick connect attached to the tractor, shouldn't hydraulic fluid squirt out when I operate the control lever? I haven't tried yet but seems that would rule out an obstruction to the cylinder.

I tried again today by attaching the quick connect to both of the two outlets and inserted and reinserted but no luck. Worked the lever up and down and the sound of the tractor (bogging) is heard but no luck.

Hope you guys have an idea before I have to load and go the dealership.
Thanks again.