Trickle Charger Installation Question

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Ordered up the parts to install a trickle charger on my B3200 including a weather proof remote disconnect that will be mounted on the panel below the steering wheel.

Any suggestions on a location that is better than others, or a location to stay away from? The remote connection requires a 1" hole for mounting. I plan on installing this Saturday and am interested in any "gotcha's" or issues others have experienced when doing this.

Thanks in advance

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
When you say trickle charger

I hope you mean a smart charger...

Such as a battery tender or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Yes by trickle, I mean smart charger. I ordered a Battery Tender. Don't want to overcharge and cause more issues down the road. I thought about just leaving the hood open and using the clips to connect, but the one time I forget and close the hood is the one time I will just back out of the garage and cause a whole bunch of other problems

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Thanks for the picts and the tips. I may need to do some barley pop figuring (stand around looking at the tractor with a beer in my hand and muttering to myself) this evening. I like the side mount as you say it is right there when you go to get on.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Thanks for the picts and the tips. I may need to do some barley pop figuring (stand around looking at the tractor with a beer in my hand and muttering to myself) this evening. I like the side mount as you say it is right there when you go to get on.
Sitting and staring often solves many problems. Please confirm that is accurate to my wife.:D

In my pick up that I rarely drive, it too, has a 'port' for a charger. I have a laminated card that I hang on the gear shift to remind me 'Truck is on Charger'.
Planes use long 'tails' 'Remove Before Starting' on intake blocks and pitot tubes. My suggestion being that how ever you connect it up, do so in a manner that is such that you cannot forget. You never want to be the guy driving a tractor with the ROPs up and a height of 88" pulling into a garage door with 86" of clearance. I heard about a guyt that did that. Once.:p

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH
The picture shows the front of my B2710 with the battery tender connected to the tractor. The cable next to it is the cable for my fueling setup. I use the same battery connection cable for the trickle charger/battery tender and the 12v fuel pump. You have to make sure the polarity is correct for the fuel pump though, I had to change the wires to make sure + went to positive and - went to negative for the pump.

The other wire connection is for the linear actuator for my snowblower chute.

No drilling, no special plugs or wires. Just used the connector that came with the battery tender and mounted it to the battery terminals. I never open/close the hood to connect anything...

Attachments

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Sitting and staring often solves many problems. Please confirm that is accurate to my wife.:D

In my pick up that I rarely drive, it too, has a 'port' for a charger. I have a laminated card that I hang on the gear shift to remind me 'Truck is on Charger'.
Planes use long 'tails' 'Remove Before Starting' on intake blocks and pitot tubes. My suggestion being that how ever you connect it up, do so in a manner that is such that you cannot forget. You never want to be the guy driving a tractor with the ROPs up and a height of 88" pulling into a garage door with 86" of clearance. I heard about a guyt that did that. Once.:p
I was told that there was no film in the camera when I did that. :)

I do have a "flag" that I will attach to the cord for that added reminder. I pan on taking picts of my installation and posting them when I am done.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
The picture shows the front of my B2710 with the battery tender connected to the tractor. The cable next to it is the cable for my fueling setup. I use the same battery connection cable for the trickle charger/battery tender and the 12v fuel pump. You have to make sure the polarity is correct for the fuel pump though, I had to change the wires to make sure + went to positive and - went to negative for the pump.

The other wire connection is for the linear actuator for my snowblower chute.

No drilling, no special plugs or wires. Just used the connector that came with the battery tender and mounted it to the battery terminals. I never open/close the hood to connect anything...
Another good idea. I obviously did not spend enough time doing research last night. May need to pick back up when I get home.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I did my installation this past Saturday and came up with a different location. Originally I was looking to put it on the center column in the black plastic, but then I ran in to an issue of not having enough cable to run from the plug over to the battery. Note to self, measure distance before ordering online.... Anyway I selected an area just behind the radiator on the left side panel. The cable comes out and makes a left between the panel and the radiator and the side panel. The pigtail that came with the Battery Tender is hardwired to the battery.

Putting the hole in the panel was easy. I have a 3/4" punch for adding holes to electric panels. There is not a lot of meat in the Kubota side panel and it made quick work and produced a nice clean hole. A little Rustoleum on the bare metal and in went the plug. The back side of the cable and connector has some reflective heat tape on it for protection. I'll keep an eye on it as I run the tractor to see how it is holding up

As you can see from the photo's. I had a label of some sort in that location and need to clean the residue off as well. For placement of the unit, I have the Battery Tender sitting on the hood, and added little rubber feet on the bottom to prevent scratching. I also attached a flag to the cable as an extra reminder before driving. All in all I spent around an hour hooking it up.

Attachments

BotaTrac

Equipment
Kubota B25D, Kubota L305DT, Kubota L2501D, Ford 681 Select-O-Speed
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
Ordered up the parts to install a trickle charger on my B3200 including a weather proof remote disconnect that will be mounted on the panel below the steering wheel.

Any suggestions on a location that is better than others, or a location to stay away from? The remote connection requires a 1" hole for mounting. I plan on installing this Saturday and am interested in any "gotcha's" or issues others have experienced when doing this.

Thanks in advance
I was just passing through and saw your post. You're pretty limited on where you can install that device. Here's what I did:https://youtu.be/PjT4rqoy1TQ

If you think this helps, I sure would be honored if you'd subscribe to my channel:
https://youtube.com/c/botatrac

I don't do any of it for money, just to help guys like me or, maybe us who just want to learn more about our machines and like to do things ourselves. Hope it helps. Thanks for your time. Good luck with the mount!