DIY fume extractor

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Please post a link or part # when you get a chance, I'm curious about it. ;)
Hey NIW. I would have by now being retired, but a friend called and have been running an excavator for him for the last 4 days with 2 more to go that usually doesnt happen for another month or so. I will follow up.

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
Keep in mind those flex ducts are intended to be use in a fixed position, not constantly flexed and moved. They may not hold up well if used where they are moved frequently.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Please post a link or part # when you get a chance, I'm curious about it. ;)
Hey NIW. Getting back to you with the 6" vent links.

The one I got at lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-6-in-x-20-ft-Foil-Flexible-Duct/3126473

Found another one on Amazon also https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Ducti...59&sr=8-3&keywords=ipower+ducting+ventilation

I actually got the fan all hooked up and used it today welding up some toolboxes and everything worked great. Will post the pics and details soon.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That's what I thought you were going for, while the one ad calls it dryer vent hose, it's not.
Dryer vent hose is only 4".

It's general purpose vent hose, and it's probably not going to hold up for what you want to use it for.
It's also not going to be fireproof, and yes I know it say it is, but it isn't.

The link I provided is a much heavier walled tubing.
Silicone hose would be the best but that stuff is stupid expensive.

I'm just pointing out details, yes it will work fine for removing smoke, but the first time a hot ember gets in the duct and stars a fire it will take mere seconds before the whole thing is up in flames, and I would feel bad if i didn't point it out. :cool:

Last edited:

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I finally got my fume extractor all set up. As I said, I went with a 6" Vivosun 440cfm fan for $59.00, that had a vinyl cover on the unit to seal it, plus a rheostat on the cord to vary the speed if needed. It also had a mounting bracket so I could mount it to the ceiling permanently up out of the way. The fan works awesome and is very quiet. Really happy with it. I got a 6" dryer vent from Lowes, to get it vented outside. Got it mounted through the wall and it was long enough that I mounted the fan right to it, which worked out great. I also got 6" flexible vent hose and a 6"x10" register vent to use as a hood.

View attachment 34929

View attachment 34930

View attachment 34931

View attachment 34932

View attachment 34933

Last edited:

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Before everybody busts my chops on my last pic, this set up was strictly temporary, and was just used to try my new vent system out while welding up a couple tool boxes I had to get done for a person, and it is 30 degrees outside!! I will paint the mounting board, tack up the cord from the fan. The one thing I will probably do different after using it, is the flexible duct to the vent hood. Pretty flimsy stuff. The system worked great. I cracked the opposing window, and the fan kept up with my welding. Fan is really quiet. I mig welded for a couple hrs, and my wife got home from work, someone had to pay for all of this, five minutes after I got done, came out to the shop to check. She could barely smell anything, and she has a nose like a hound dog and usually wont stay after I have been welding. So it passed the test. Very happy with the system and it will great for what I do.

View attachment 34934

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Congratulations! Nice clean set up. You're going to enjoy the fruits of your labor, although I sense you're having fun already.

bguillory

Equipment
L2800F
Dec 15, 2017
DeQuincy, LA. USA
Hey Rkidd that looks good, may copy your design there. I recently got my first mig, Lincoln 140 that looks alot like yours. I couldn't see the model on it. Your shield gas bottle appears to be the same size, 80 cu ft. Can you tell me about how long that bottle last, I used mine for the first time this weekend with shield gas and it ran out before I finished a small project, maybe 3 foot long weld all together with regulator set at 25. Seemed like it should last longer, I picked up a refill and a second bottle for a spare to try again this weekend. Didn't mean to hijack your thread just wanted your input.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Congratulations! Nice clean set up. You're going to enjoy the fruits of your labor, although I sense you're having fun already.
Thanks Yooper. Ya I sure am having fun. I got to run excavator last week for a guy, to make sure I still remember how to do it, and I really enjoy fabbing things up in my shop for my tractor. I have really enjoyed learning how to weld to be able to do my projects. I have actually done quite a few projects for some of my buddys that have Kubotas and cant weld. I just had to finish up a couple of my toolboxes for a guy. I stopped by my buddys machine shop today to do some dumpster diving to stock up!! It is nice to have time to learn and do things that I never had time for when I was operating equipment full time. After a couple years of being retired, it is the old saying of I dont know how I ever had time to work!! I picked up materials today for my next project. I want to mount a rear view mirror on my tractor, and the best place is the loader frame. But when you take the loader off, you loose your mirror. I think I have a good way to do it. Will post soon.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Hey Rkidd that looks good, may copy your design there. I recently got my first mig, Lincoln 140 that looks alot like yours. I couldn't see the model on it. Your shield gas bottle appears to be the same size, 80 cu ft. Can you tell me about how long that bottle last, I used mine for the first time this weekend with shield gas and it ran out before I finished a small project, maybe 3 foot long weld all together with regulator set at 25. Seemed like it should last longer, I picked up a refill and a second bottle for a spare to try again this weekend. Didn't mean to hijack your thread just wanted your input.
No problem on the copy. It works well. Yes that is the 140 I have and has worked really well. It is a 80 cu ft tank. You must have a leak somewhere for sure if it ran out that fast. My regulator is set at 30 cfh which is in the spec range in my manual and
mig welds 1/8" stuff really well. My tank lasts for months doing quite a bit of welding. Not everyday but waaay more than 3 ft. I would guess you have a leak somewhere. Any other questions let me know.

Last edited:

bguillory

Equipment
L2800F
Dec 15, 2017
DeQuincy, LA. USA
No problem on the copy. It works well. Yes that is the 140 I have and has worked really well. It is a 80 cu ft tank. You must have a leak somewhere for sure if it ran out that fast. My regulator is set at 30 cfh which is in the spec range in my manual and
mig welds 1/8" stuff really well. My tank lasts for months doing quite a bit of welding. Not everyday but waaay more than 3 ft. I would guess you have a leak somewhere. Any other questions let me know.
Thanks for the reply, will have to get the soap bubbles out and check for leaks! I kinda figured it should have lasted longer.:cool:

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
My tank lasts for months doing quite a bit of welding. Not everyday but waaay more than 3 ft. I would guess you have a leak somewhere.
Aren't the valves on high pressure gas cylinders supposed to be either fully open or fully closed? I think I remember reading somewhere that partially open valves leak. Maybe that's where the gas went?

-- Carl

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Aren't the valves on high pressure gas cylinders supposed to be either fully open or fully closed? I think I remember reading somewhere that partially open valves leak. Maybe that's where the gas went?

-- Carl
Carl is right. Make sure valve is all the way open..