DIY fume extractor

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Looking to make a diy fume extractor for my shop to work in it during the winters here in NE Ohio with the doors closed and heat on. Just doing small welding projects with a mig welder, no flux core and paint these items. I am talking like one foot or 18" stuff. Looked on You Tube and got some ideas for a reasonable cost, as regular fume extractors are pricey! Thinking about going with a 150 or 200 cfm bathroom exhaust fan, ducted outside, and then hang a hose down close to my work area. Any experience or thoughts on this would be great. Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Real quick and easy one, Stove hood.

Another really effective one, portable dust collector, leave the bag off and put a hose on output, VERY effective!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Did exactly as you're describing before I invested in my (yes, expensive) fume filter. The trick was to position the suction hose close enough to pull away the fumes without pulling away the shielding gas. I rigged up a magnetic holder so I could position it where I was welding, which is almost a must if you want it to be effective. Be careful on the hose selection as the sparks from welding get sucked into it and will burn right through if it is thin. I had some orange colored hose that worked well, but I don't recall where I got it from. I think it was either silicone or fiberglass.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
My dad fixed up one for jobs similar to what you are doing and it work very well. He used a furnace blower mounted on the end wall of his garage and had a hood over his welding table by the ceiling. ceiling was 8 foot. When you turned the blower on it moved just enough air to take most of the smoke and fumes out. This was using an arc welder. I don't think it would affect the gas on a wire welder but never tried it

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Thanks every one for the replies. Still researching this. Looking at some 6", inline duct fans that have some more cfm now also as an option. Not too bad of a price on some of them.

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
I really like Wolfman’s portable dust collector idea, simple and reasonably priced.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Thanks every one for the replies. Still researching this. Looking at some 6", inline duct fans that have some more cfm now also as an option. Not too bad of a price on some of them.
That should work just fine. The smaller fume extractors have about 100 CFM fans which isn't much more than a large bathroom exhaust fan. It just has to move the air. A 6" duct fan can be near 400 CFM....that's enough to take care of a larger hood.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That should work just fine. The smaller fume extractors have about 100 CFM fans which isn't much more than a large bathroom exhaust fan. It just has to move the air. A 6" duct fan can be near 400 CFM....that's enough to take care of a larger hood.
I hate to disagree with you, but most commercially available smoke and fume extractors are 2000CFM+ units. ;)

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I hate to disagree with you, but most commercially available smoke and fume extractors are 2000CFM+ units. ;)
I don't mind constructive comments.
Miller makes one with a 135 cfm capacity for small shop use. I did see that the OP wanted one for occasional usage in his small shop in the winter. The $5000 type are overkill for his usage and yes, they do have a more powerful motor and vacuum.....just not needed.
The Miller Filtair 130 would be in the category I was suggesting. If he needs more then of course he would spend more. But even that unit is for light manufacturing. A small ventilator motor would supply similar cfm's with proper ducting and placement. But $1750 is a lot to spend for a small operation when there are other ways to achieve the same result.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't mind constructive comments.
Miller makes one with a 135 cfm capacity for small shop use.
My Apologies :eek:, I stand corrected, I did not know that they made them that small of a CFM rating. ;)

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
CFM is cubic feet per minute which is volume/time
FPM is feet per minute which is velocity

Both are used in fan capacity statements but are different values.

I see them both being stated as values that can be interchanged but they can not be interchanged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Thanks again everybody. I ended up going with a 440 cfm 6" inline duct fan. I found it on Amazon due nobody had anything local. I got it for $59.00. Anything with that cfm in a bath or kitchen hood fan was in the hundreds of dollars. I got it yesterday, and it even has rheostat feature that I think could be a handy feature. It had great reviews also. I plugged it in and tried it on the bench and air flow seems really good and was really quiet. I am going to go with a 6" dryer vent out through the wall, with the fan mounted to the ceiling attached right to the dryer vent. Then use an extendable dryer hose to get close to my work. This way it will be mounted permanent up out of the way. I will post pics and details after I get mounted.

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
The other thing to keep in mind is air has to get into the shop to replace the air going out. Another inlet vent, crack a window or a door, etc.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
The other thing to keep in mind is air has to get into the shop to replace the air going out. Another inlet vent, crack a window or a door, etc.
Hey Yooper. I have windows on opposing sides of the garage. I can crack one for makeup air. Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am going to go with a 6" dryer vent out through the wall, with the fan mounted to the ceiling attached right to the dryer vent. Then use an extendable dryer hose to get close to my work. This way it will be mounted permanent up out of the way. I will post pics and details after I get mounted.
Dryer vent hose is only 4"
If that what you want that's fine just please use the non flammable kind.

Here is 6" aluminum duct, if you want that and can't get it locally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deflecto-A0...609485&hash=item25a9edf4d6:g:blMAAOSwPcVVpp5l

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Dryer vent hose is only 4"
If that what you want that's fine just please use the non flammable kind.

Here is 6" aluminum duct, if you want that and can't get it locally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deflecto-A0...609485&hash=item25a9edf4d6:g:blMAAOSwPcVVpp5l
Hey NIW. At Lowes they also had 25 ft long extendable dryer vent hose to go with the 6" dryer vent I found. Not plastic, but the metallic looking stuff. I havent bought it and will have to check to see what it is made of for sure to see if it will work. What you posted looks good. When I find the link I will post it. I for sure dont want to choke it down to 4" after getting everything 6". With the extendable hose I can mount some type of collection hood out of tin from my tinner buddy. Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
At Lowes they also had 25 ft long extendable dryer vent hose to go with the 6" dryer vent I found. Not plastic, but the metallic looking stuff. I havent bought it and will have to check to see what it is made of for sure to see if it will work.
Please post a link or part # when you get a chance, I'm curious about it. ;)