New guy, im totally irrational

ryansmoneypit2

Equipment
B7100, 48" snow blower, woods rear blade, crappy front blade, 64" mower deck
Mar 2, 2018
virginia
Hello OTT,

Ryan here, new to the tractor world. while searching for my forever home in suburban VA, I cam across a house right in my budget. With 6 acres of woods and grassy hills, I quickly learned that a push type lawn mower was not going to cut it (pun intended).

Found this lil beauty (I think) local, '96, 1 owner, 650 hrs. Besides the seat, the thing looks like it was someones baby. willing to bet that it only deteriorated after the owner died and kids who dont care were holding it.

Anyway, I have plans. I am a power junkie. I have fab skills.

Welp, google pics refuses to respond ATM....so pics coming soon.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You'll need to get a few (five) posts under your belt to post pictures, It's an anti-spam method. ;)

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Looks like a B7100 by your profile. I look forward to seeing your fab skills. :D

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Well 650 hrs on a 22 year old tractor is nothing. If it's been maintained you are in good shape. You didn't give much information. How much? Are you planning on adding an FEL? Other than mow what are you going to do with it?
Anything can be fixed if you have the time and money and the inclination. If it looks good, runs good and the price is right go for it.
If you go to Tractorhouse.com you can probably find a similar model of similar age to check where the price should be. It may be hard to find one that old with that few hours....and that's a good thing.

ryansmoneypit2

Equipment
Mar 2, 2018
virginia
Sorry guys, I didn't want to post a wall of text, and was planning to let the picture do its job.

Anyway, as some of you noticed, its a B7100, 4wd,hst, came with a few implements but I need more. I have about 3 acres that it is going to be responsible for mowing and about 1.5 miles of trail to keep clear. All the fluids look clean, but I know they are old, for sure. The mower deck is pristine and HEAVY. Rear blade is new, snow blower is old and scabby. Looks like it's been retrofitted to anything from a Corvair to a push mower.

I ride a lot of hair scramble dirt bike events, and have managed to squeeze a short practice loop, that's the 1mile trail (plus fence clear duty). I would eventually like to haverify a decent way to rearrange the dirt to my liking in some spots, preferably in a way that will propel me and my bike, many feet into the air. Because of clay, a hoe type bucket would be most efficient I think. Details on that are sketchy at best, right now.
Metal fabrication is what I like to do. Just an amateur, but I can hold my own and have a decent collection of tools. I'm good at sticking metal together, both ferrous and non.
Cash is extremely tight right now, first house, seems to be just suckling cash, way faster than I ever imagined. So progress will be slow for a bit, but things will move...slowly. I'll post pictures soon of current project. Turning the blade into a dual use unit. Conventional blade one side, small box blade on the other. Simple, should work ok. I think.

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Been an hobby welder for over some 30 years... One thing that helped me on the cost of fabrication projects when I was in your situation years ago, was a good scrap yard (primarily industrial scrap, not automotive) that had a lot of good steel cheap....

I used to go there with my trailer, load it up and they never charged me more than $20, except one trip I got some aluminum and they weighed that..

They've since stopped allowing folks to pull down in, and wander around the yard.. Maybe there's one near your area..

It actually added a bit of fun on the projects.. would visualize how I was going to build something, but after a scrap yard trip, the design changed based on what pieces and shapes of steel I found... On some projects the scrap worked out better than if I was starting with new material.. e.g. nicely mandel bent tubing, short but usable lengths of channel box steel, etc.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to the forum!
My first tractor was a 1990 B7100, HST, 4WD. They are fine tractors, they will do more work than they should be able to for their size, and parts are still available. Congratulations!

ryansmoneypit2

Equipment
Mar 2, 2018
virginia
First small project for this thing. Added just a single tooth to the blade. I think I get about a 6" min. 12"max pierce depth. I've mostly welded car parts, finicky thin metals. Not tractor parts. Turned my mig gun up to settings I've never used before.

ryansmoneypit2

Equipment
Mar 2, 2018
virginia
20180304_133321.jpg

I welded the back of these mounts, then just wrapped the top and bottom, then came back around for another couple inches.

ryansmoneypit2

Equipment
Mar 2, 2018
virginia
Screenshot_2018-03-04-18-48-22.jpg

A little better picture. I just welded that big 1/2" plate to the back of the blade. It already had a big gusset that made it east to fit.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nice weld, you just may need more of it! You sink it as deep at is will go and snag a rock or tree root and you'll be headed back to the shop.

Those shanks take a lot of energy to drag then through the ground.

I have a friend who has a D8 Cat and he had his cousin who had just gotten out of a heavy equipment operator's school and wanted to do something, pull a ripper thorough some farm ground he had just purchased and was cleaning it up. At some point the operator (the cousin) noticed the ripper was GONE. They looked and looked and looked, even with magnets. To this day they have not found it!!

ryansmoneypit2

Equipment
Mar 2, 2018
virginia
A quick and dirty math says I have about 200,000 lbs total weld holding capability with about a 50% safety margin. Assumed 30,000 psi (an already knocked down estimate for A36) X's 28" of weld @.25".

All is in shear so that's even better, and I am excited to see if I can actually rip it off with 17hp.

Feel free to critique my estimates.

Last edited:

ryansmoneypit2

Equipment
Mar 2, 2018
virginia
I too was unimpressed with the performance of my new G-6 Gator Blades. So I modified them just a bit. I figure if I am using horsepower to turn something, it better be cutting. Sharpened all of the uprights into blades, wihtout getting hot and then re balanced.

I make grass confetti now.

blades.jpg