Learning to Weld

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
The local community college is offering a 2 credit course here. Tuition and "service fees" are $236, and there is a $200 lab fee. Class runs for 11 weeks, and is 3hrs 50 minutes per session.
Years ago I took a 30 hr course at the local BOCES. I don't remember the cost as the company I worked for paid it. BOCES, for those that don't know is a vocational school affiliated with the high schools in the area. My instructor at the time was a welder for Singer Link. His day job was welding flight simulators for NASA! He really knew his stuff.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Safety!
There is a lot to learn about welding but take a basic class so you get the safety before you start welding! As stated, a good helmet is essential for safety and so you can actually see what you are doing. I use 1 of 2 3m speedglass
Check around. If you or don't need the certifications you can find a course for a lot less than 800. I took a weekend course at the community college for $ 80 each weekend. I did SMAW one weekend and MIG another. I think each one was 10 hours per weekend- 4 her classroom and the rest welding lab.
I inherited a OA torch set and a Miller stick welder and learned to cut and weld. I then bartered for a decent MIG. I built 2 welding tables and I've picked up saws, clamps, grinders, etc and I have a rack of stock out in the shop. I love being able to fab whatever I need and I've even made a little cash on the side doing some odd welding jobs.
Have fun. Be safe

ggg3988

Feb 11, 2018
olympia washington usa
I never welded in my life. My wife bought me a welder for my 40th birthday. Told me to build something. Now I have Been in business as a ornament iron shop for 20 years. Welding is easy. Fabrication takes a bit to learn.
Garysgardengate. Custom iron work

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I never welded in my life. My wife bought me a welder for my 40th birthday. Told me to build something. Now I have Been in business as a ornament iron shop for 20 years. Welding is easy. Fabrication takes a bit to learn.
Garysgardengate. Custom iron work
Welding is easy. Kind of like shifting gears in a manual transmission. Learning how to do each properly is better in both situations.

Did you quit your day job and start your welding business the day after the birthday gift?

Not something I'd do. I like food with my meals!:D

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Gentlemen,

I wanted to update my post. First, I want to thank all of you for your replies and private messages. You all provided much valuable information and I appreciate your willingness to share your experience. It's one of the many reasons I like this forum.

I stopped by the local school today to talk with the instructor to get more information. The class for credit is Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for 8 weeks (I didn't ask about the hours since I'm not interested in course credit). The class for hobby learners is Saturday only from 8-3. He said I could attend all 8 classes or less if I wanted to. The costs per Saturday class is $100. He showed me around the shop and said he would cover proper safety techniques, proper use of protective equipment, use of stick welders, use of MIG welders, and use of cutting torches. He said after that is was primarily time under the helmet.

Right now I'm leaning toward taking at least some of the classes to get me started and show me the proper techniques and use of the various welders and cutting torches. I've even started purchasing some of the equipment I'll need. I don't know if it a good one or not, but I purchased a Kobalt auto darkening helmet from Lowes. I also started purchasing gloves, shirts, caps, etc., that many of you suggested. I'm really excited about learning to weld. It's something I've wanted to learn for a long time. Maybe you can teach old dogs new tricks after all. Now I'll start looking at some the welding machines many of you suggested.

Again, I want to thank all of you for your advice and sharing your experiences. Please keep them coming if you have more to offer!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Congratulations! I think you made a good decision to get some instruction. You also get to experience welding with some good equipment. The instructor would be a good source to ask for advice on what machine to purchase. Remember, your welds will be only as good as the equipment will let it be.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I learned to weld this past summer BECAUSE of my Kubota.

The mower-deck was full of rust-holes and needed to be rebuilt. I purchased a $300 110v wirefeed welder. After practicing welding sheet-metal for a week...I started fixing my mower-deck.

The most-important thing I learned was to CUT OUT THE RUSTY METAL and only weld to the good stuff. Otherwise, you will spend hours fixing blow-thru holes.

After about 50 hours of fabricating and welding, my mower-deck was ready to be re-installed on my G5200.

Anyone can weld the thicker stuff ... it takes real finesse to weld sheet-metal together. Machine settings and technique play a large part in successful welds.

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
fendley-
Thanks for that link to Jody's videos. I got hooked watching and learned (or re-learned) a bunch of stuff. I haven't had a chance to do any welding for a few years and am about to get back in. Those videos are some of the best I have ever seen.

fendley

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SVL65-2
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
I think everybody who has watched Jody's videos comes out with positive comments. I was having issues welding with a cheap HF MIG, took Jody's recommendation on the Hobart he was testing. Man, there is no comparison! To have success in welding, you need good equipment, proper prep including clean metal, and then comes the technique. Now that I am pretty proficient with the MIG, I'll research and purchase a TIG and get proficient on that.

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
1. CC welding classes are the way to go.
2. There are things you'll learn in a welding class that will save you money in the future. You also get to play with different welders before you drop money on your own.
3. The theory and application of welding was worth the classes I took.
4. $100 a class isn't bad considering what folks charge to weld parts.

One can learn to weld from the internet and just welding, no argument there. There's something to be said for just welding stuff. That's how you get experience. But there's also something to be said for the book learning portion of welding that will make you a better welder and allow you to adapt to more diverse situations.

ryansmoneypit2

Equipment
B7100, 48" snow blower, woods rear blade, crappy front blade, 64" mower deck
Mar 2, 2018
virginia
Week old thread, but figure I'll toss my two cents In.

Welding classes don't always work. I have two friends who both took courses at the CC. After 8 weeks and some sort of paper certificate, neither can take a torch, determine base settings and weld.

Both guys are smart and fully capable of learning, but the teaching was just, not good. Learned how to wiggle a torch around, but that's about it.

I found a good welder, after talking for a bit, I offered 100 bucks for a lesson. He was great at teaching, and really knowledgeable about the entire process. Understanding why things were happening is just as important as the physical aspect of performing the weld.

I've rambled on a bit now. Moral of my story? Take a private lesson or three and start making things. Make things that matter, dont just weld trash together. You put way more effort into learning when it's not just scrap. Torch time is the ultimate winner IMO.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
I'm envious of all of you who can weld and create various implements and attachments for your tractor. I want to learn to weld also just for repairs, maintenance, making attachments, etc. I would not care to weld for hire or a second career. A trade school in my area is offering an 8 week course on welding that will meet each Saturday. The price is $800. That seems pricey to me but I haven't paid for schooling in so long that it may be the going rate these days. Anyway, my questions are is it worthwhile to take a course on learning to weld or is it something that can be learned by practice? Were you formally trained or is it something you learned on your own? Also, any suggestions you have are appreciated. As always, thank you for your time.
there is a very good sight called weld monger- he puts out weekly videos they can be from simple to difficult procedures sign up for receiving same well worth it i think

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
I wrote this page a long time ago (and needs updating) when I was a moderator on a 4x4 off roading site.. http://www.dan-de-man.net/home/section_welders.html

In addition to learning to weld, fabrication knowledge (learning materials, design techniques, potential failure modes) is equally important.

Ron Fournier's books (a noted race car builder, having built cars for A.J. Foyt, Roger Penske, and Bob Sharp Racing) are still in print and highly recommend as part of learning to weld.

Lastly, concur with comments above regarding nothing like having an experienced welder help with the learning. One of my favorite sayings regarding welding is "listen to the metal, it will talk to you" (more accurately) learn to pay very close attention of the color of the metal when heated into the red temperature zone, the range of red color, and if you are getting the base metal into the right temp range, and, how far the red metal goes back away from the joint. Very good way to know if you are getting deep enough penetration. Stick welding is very good for getting good penetration on thick, heavy metal sections. MIG can sometimes fool you with a joint to appears to have adequate penetration, but doesn't.

When learning to weld, do practice joints and if you have a metal cutting bandsaw, cut the joints apart through the weld seam and see if you have perfect bonding into the base metal.. no hairlines should be visible.

Last edited:

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Update - I started the weekend welding class at the CC on Saturday. It was a small class, only 3 there for certification and myself for a hobby welder. After a short introduction to safety, the 3 for certification were taken to a classroom to begin going over more welding instruction. I was given a hands on demo of the cutting torch and then began cutting under the watchful eye the instructor. He gave me many suggestions, pointers, etc. That afternoon, I began stick welding and learning to run a bead using a Miller machine and a 6010 rod. I now have a better appreciation for all you welders! The instructor watched and gave me many pointers and tips. So I spent the entire afternoon running beads or something that vaguely resembled them. The instructor offered to me to come back to the class on Sunday afternoon to practice, which I did. I've got a long way to go, but so far it has been a blast! I'll keep you updated as I go.

One hiccup along the way and I have a question for you. I was using a pair of Hobart welding gloves but one of them completely came apart on the second day. I have a spare pair, but I now want a good quality welding glove. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Glad to hear that you are taking the classes. You will never regret it.
As far as welding gloves go. For me it depends on what type of welding I'm doing as to what type of gloves I'll use. If there is a welding supply store around it would be well worth a trip to see what types of PPE, (Personal Protective Equipment), is available. There are many types of gloves, helmets, aprons, and accessories out there. Enjoy your welding. It is fun when you know how. :)

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Couple of things that I found helpful, an auto dimming lens and a magnifying lens. Both for your helmet. Never needed the magnifier when I started welding.

Thirty eight years ago. :D

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Couple of things that I found helpful, an auto dimming lens and a magnifying lens. Both for your helmet. Never needed the magnifier when I started welding.

Thirty eight years ago. :D
You are right. I found out I couldn't see the puddle very well so I'm going to look for a magnifying lens to put inside my helmet.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
One of my favorite sayings regarding welding is "listen to the metal, it will talk to you".

So true with me.

I'm no experienced welder, but was an experienced restaurant cook.

Looks, sounds and smells are invaluable cooking.

Same applies for welding.

Been working with some 1/4 & 3/8" stuff lately....there's a certain sound/sharpness I like to hear from the arc/contact of my MIG....with experience, maybe I'll learn what it needs to sound like for 16 gauge, etc.

Since I'm using re-purposed manure spreader chain paddles, smells can be handy too! :p:p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: