Learning to Weld

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
I'm envious of all of you who can weld and create various implements and attachments for your tractor. I want to learn to weld also just for repairs, maintenance, making attachments, etc. I would not care to weld for hire or a second career. A trade school in my area is offering an 8 week course on welding that will meet each Saturday. The price is $800. That seems pricey to me but I haven't paid for schooling in so long that it may be the going rate these days. Anyway, my questions are is it worthwhile to take a course on learning to weld or is it something that can be learned by practice? Were you formally trained or is it something you learned on your own? Also, any suggestions you have are appreciated. As always, thank you for your time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A trade school in my area is offering an 8 week course on welding that will meet each Saturday. The price is $800. That seems pricey to me.
I would agree, that's $100 a day.
I would take the $800 and my a good wire feed welder.
I'm a miller fan, but others make good welders too.
I would start with Mig (wire feed) welding as it has the greatest range of welding and the easiest to learn.
If you have 220/240vac available where you want to weld, get that, it has a greater potential over a strictly 110/120vac unit, Some of the really good models will be 110/120vac and 220/240vac auto change so they will work on both, makes for a very handy portable unit.
Get a model with a cart option, portability/ maneuverability is key to easy use.
Get a setup that has a gas bottle (for solid core wire) and not just setup for flux core wire, Even though I keep a couple of the Flux core spools around for emergency out of gas use.
Learn with flux core wire, it will splatters more and give a little dirtier weld but it's cheaper to burn through to learn.
Get a good pair of welding gloves, a auto darkening helmet, and an heavy weight long sleave shirt and old jeans, and heavy boots.
Go on You tube and search learning to weld with mig or learning to weld with wire feed.

Pitbull

Equipment
Kubota L4701, LP RCR1860 Cutter, LP RTA 1258 Tiller
Dec 8, 2017
Mt. Enterprise, Texas
Second the above! Put the $800 towards a good welder and the necessary tools to use it. You tube is a wealth of knowledge to get you started but, lots of practice on scrap metal will be where you truly learn.

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
A mig welder is a wonderful tool to have, but if a budget is tight and you really want to learn to weld, You can pick up a stick welder much cheaper (you will probably need 220v access tho...). A friend who has some experience with stick can show you the basics, and the rest is practice, practice, practice. If you're like me, many of your projects will start with rusty scrap metal..E6011 and E6013 are your go to rod for the most part. I have both, I do prefer mig for its convenience, but occasionally I run into a project where stick is required to get thru the dirty metal...

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
The class seems expensive, as others have mentioned. At my age, I certainly could be out of touch with how much tuition should be.

Having said that.... It is very helpful to have a formal foundation to work from. If you choose to forego classroom training, try trading labor at a machine shop. At the very least, buy and study a welding manual that includes theory as well as best practices. Then it's weld, weld, weld. Stating the obvious, it is a waste of time to wing it with no background whatsoever. Why practice (build habits) incorrectly. No sense making super sexy looking welds that fail.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
As said already, the class is expensive.
I've taken them over the years- once for myself, and other times to accompany young men from our church who wanted to take the class, but wanted company. It was in the $200 range.
BUT, depending on how the class is run, you can get more out of your money by buying a good beginner welder (I suggest Hobart- they offer a lot of value, and are quality, basic machines). In the class that I took (the same one, more than once), the instructor would give some basic instruction, and we would then go weld. So, it was about 5% instruction, and 95% welding. You can do that at home. Find a friend who knows something about welding, to help you get started. Once you know the basics of how your welder works and how to maintain it, then run welds. And run more welds. Welding is easily a learn as you go experience, and the more you weld, the more you learn.

Some sound advice from someone who learned the same way that you are looking at, and who welds every day, now- don't get discouraged. It will get worse, but it will then get better. Your first few welds will look pretty good, and then it will go down hill. It is through mistakes, booger welds, cold welds, and dissatisfaction, that you will learn to do better. To read your machine- is it set to cold or too hot, is your wire speed off, etc. To slow down or speed up as you run the bead. Etc. Welding better is all about experience, time, and mistakes.

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Locally it runs around $10-12/hr of class:

https://lancasterctc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2017-2018-PS-PT-Course-Tuition-Rates-2-2-18.pdf

I haven't had any formal classes but we have real "weldors" at work who have been very helpful. I was able to use our shop when I built my cab about 5 years ago. Although we have extra machines available I took my Millermatic 175 in to get experience and instruction on it.

There are several home projects in the works as soon as weather permits. I don't have a decent place indoors where it would be safe to make a lot of sparks.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
The same way one get to Carnage Hall... Practice, Practice. Look at the Miller 215, it Mig's Tig's and Stick, runs on 110v or 240v, waiting for tax return... anyone looking for Miller 180 in NNY?:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The $800 sounds high to me. Might check with your local high school. Often the shop teachers will have a class and at a much lessor price.

Since we were toddlers we heard someone say, "Practice makes perfect". That is not necessarily true. Practice makes permanent, perfect practice makes perfect.

You practice doing something wrong and you get real good at doing it wrong! A good teacher will point out your strengths (like a steady hand) and show you how to overcome your weaknesses. You'll also learn proper safety in a class before you get to play with equipment.

If you don't take an organized class, find a mentor and a good book to base your practice time on, but I'd recommend a class....somewhere.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I agree the class seems high. It would be nice to find a class that would teach you the basics and stressing all the safety issues you should watch for at all times. It’s important to learn welding technique correctly so you don’t practice incorrectly and have to unlearn anything, It’s much harder. With all the YouTube videos available you might do those and not a formal class. Jody at Welding Tips & Tricks and Bob Moffat at Weld.com are two of the best IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I bought a cheap 120v stick welder and I am more than pleased with it.
If you know anyone who welds who could let you watch them and guide you it would be great. $800 is a lot of money and what you learn will be taught quickly, be full of facts, numbers and information that isn't 100% hands on. The only way to learn is to do it. There are so many online videos that show you how to weld that are free. Spend some time looking at those before you drop $800.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Thirty years ago I took the basic plate welding class at Lincoln Electric Welding School for $325. It was ten days, (m-f 6hrs), sixty hours total. Today that class is $2,225 and thirty days, six weeks, 180 hours. Best money I ever spent. At the time for me that was a lot of money, and that was six hours each night after work. I've never regretted it.
Since then, about four years ago, I went back and took the mig class and tig class. These were M-F six hours a day total 30 hours each class. Tig $690. Mig $600. And I had been using the mig and tig machines at work. I wanted to learn the proper way to do these. One of the guys at work had told me, if it sounds like bacon frying then your doing good. Yeah right. Back to school.
I tried welding at work before I took the basic class. I didn't have a clue what I was looking at through the lens. But man could I burn through the welding rods. You'll only be as good as the guy is that is teaching you and that is if he is a good teacher. In a structured class that is what the instructor is there for. The whole class each class. If you can find a buddy to stick with you six to eight hours a day for eight Saturdays in a row you're doing real good. And of course you're going to have to have all of your equipment and materials up front.
Once you have the knowledge to weld correctly then yes it is practice, practice, and practice.

Now about my first welding class.

My boss had somethings he needed welded. Personal things from home of course. He made me an offer. If I took a course in welding he would give me a $1 an hour raise. I couldn't say yes fast enough. Within a minute of leaving his office I was on the phone with Lincoln Electric and signed up. Just before I left at the end of the day he calls me into the office and says, about that $1 an hour let's make that .50 cents you're going to be getting your union raise in six months. #%***8364;¥£?&$@!!!! (Under my breath!) ;)

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Kind of torn on what advice to give you on this one. The YouTube videos are fantastic once you have the basics down. Its getting to that point that concerns me. I taught a lot of people how to weld over the years and correcting them right away shortens the learning curve by leaps and bounds.

I would like some input from you on what kind of things you are looking at welding. We will help you choose a method and decent machine from there so you do not start out on the wrong foot. Mig welding is the easiest to learn and is very versatile. Stick welding is a little harder but is more forgiving on preparation. Tig welding is the hardest but it is not always practical. It is my go to method when I do not want a leak such as a tank or hydraulic cylinder. Preparing the joint is very fussy.

I commend you for wanting to learn. It will open up a whole new world of fun. I am working with a friend who got a Hobart mig for Christmas and he is having a blast building things he would otherwise have to buy, such as storage racking.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
About 3yrs ago I did the same thing you are talking about. I wanted to learn to weld to do repairs and fab things up for my Kubota. I went the route that NIW talked about and bought a Lincoln 140 mig welder to learn how to weld. 110 amp machine that is mig, flux core, and a spool gun for aluminum. It has been a great machine and has done everything I need to do. I have fabbed up alot of projects and had a blast learning and doing projects. I had been around it but had never done it. I watched alot of You Tube videos, and got some instruction from a buddy that is very good at it. The rest was practice and gun time, and learning how to get the right settings on the machine, staying in the front of the puddle and working it, and learning how heat will pull the metal you are working on, when you dont want it to!! Getting some advice from NIW and Yooper is invaluable to get started. The machine really does everything I need, up to 1/4", but looking back, I would have got the Lincoln mp210 or similar 110 or 222 volt machine for the extra money to do some heavier welding projects and to be more versatile. That still will probably happen when I get a project i really need it for. Just jump in and do it and start practicing. I looked at my gobbed on welds from when I first started, and what I can do now, and it is a big improvement with some pretty nice welds. Not quite Yooper yet, but I am happy with them, and nothing has come apart! Learning how to weld has allowed me to allowed me to do projects you could not afford to pay for. Plus now I am doing alot of projects for my friends with tractors. Good luck.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I carry AWS, which is lifetime and means you know what a welder is and how to properly setup cables for a specific purpose.

My ASME 9, expires after 6 months if I cant prove I was paid to weld while following procedures. My U and R stamp have long expired.

A quality helmet is just as important as a quality welding machine. For fab, I have a Jackson NexGen auto helmet. For pipe work, I have a pipeliner mask with a shade 10 gold glass. The ability to see the puddle clearly is what will make you understand what it is you are actually doing. $800 for a class sounds like a lot, but my Jackson was $350 with no extra lens covers.

When searching for a machine, start at Craigslist or similar, and look for used Lincoln and Miller machines. You can pickup a high end machine, with a real duty cycle, and some nice features for a good price. If you decide to sell it, it will still have value. A used Harbor Freight or Neverlast machine will be a boat anchor.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
how many hours a day is that class? Sounds like it is a typical short weeks LONG HOURS certification class. Usually they go something like; stuff two days of instruction into one day. I'm guessing that course is like 1.5 to 3 hours each Saturday; if not more. If so that's a pretty good deal IMHO. Don't assume. Get more information/details.

If it is as I'm guessing; in 8 weeks of instruction you will be far far ahead of where you would be in same number of hours toying around on your own machine.

Last edited:

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
My son and I took a home welding class for $250 each for 10 weeks.

This included all the steel and sticks you can use.
Learned stick and mig with intro to tig!

It was at an adult career center.
I even made a couple of steel cages and made $250.00 for them.

Learn the basics and weld a bunch.

Sounds like the class you are talking about is for a certified welder.

Then get a welder and some scrap steel and just practice.

I have a place in NE OH called Hemlys that sellls all kinds of steel at $1.50 a pound.

I built a backhoe dolly for $80.00
The casters were the most expensive pieces.
Painted it Kubota gray.

Ray

Attachments

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm with all the other guys.

If I were you, I would pay particular attention to Hodge, Daren Todd, and Yooper. They've been down the road, and Yooper welds like a friggin' welding god (FWG) !!

I had welded MANY years ago - Lincoln tombstone stick. Braised some too w/O2/Ac torches. All were on the farm or high school. Not high-tech stuff, to say the least.

I'm not one for any class....joke there, but true...just ask my wife!:cool:

I think a MIG is the ticket, but I wanted the ability for other "stuff." Something thicker than 5/16", or other materials. Didn't know why...:confused: I also didn't have 220/240 in my garage at the time, so I was in a spot...

I got a Lincoln MP210, much like the Miller someone else mentioned. MIG, TIG, Stick, 120/240, but really it's bought as a MIG/stick welder. Need to get other stuff to run TIG.

I since put a sub-panel in my garage, so I'm good with 240vac. Expands your welding capacities.

I've tinkered with MIG quite a bit. My welds look great or really bad, but nothing has fallen apart so far!:) I have a couple buddies looking for fixes that will need a stick, and I have that capability also. Betting, I will not ever use TIG.

If you have 220/240 available at home to plug a welder into, get a 240 welder. If you don't, get one capable of 120 and 240, since you may upgrade sometime.....

Good luck!

Last edited:

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Ridger,

Sent private message.