My HST 7100 upgrades

tlcfj6082

Equipment
B7100 HST , B2550
Nov 19, 2017
MI
My B7100 HST upgrades

When using a 23yr old piece of equipment things tend to get worn out or just outdated. Now this machine is amazing in many ways, with the quality of parts used compared to today's stuff, but there is always room for some improvement. I will document a few items that I have upgraded in case someone else is looking for ideas also.

The 1st item to be upgraded was the seat. There is many options, but this is the one that I choose and was a fairly direct fit with minor modification.

The original was getting rusty around the hold down brackets. I found the Black talon compact seat at a local (they don't pay me, so I don't advertise for them) store that listed Kubota as an option.

I had to cut off ( grind) the rusty welds and remaining old seat material from the old seat mounting brackets. Then bolted them into the new seat where I felt would work for me. Like I said, easy with minor fabrication skills. Its a great time to lubricate the seat rails with seat off.

New seat is soooo much better now and I can actually lean back. :)

Next post will be the LED lights..

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
thanks for sharing. Looks great

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
nice seat fix - I went ahead a replaced the whole thing, mine was shot!

here is a light mod - cheap and does not tax the dyno at all!;)

Attachments

tlcfj6082

Equipment
B7100 HST , B2550
Nov 19, 2017
MI
Re: My B7100 HST upgrades

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with the headlights as the original sockets disintegrated like many of this vintage do . The options I thought of were to find a good used set or after market lights and then upgrade to led bulbs or just modify the hood and install LED light asmbs. As you can see from the picture, I just drilled into the hood an installed new light asmbs.

I believe the diam of the lights are 3 1/2 " . They are a 45W flood light and paid around $30. They are super bright and I actually have to aim them down so the cars aren't blinded on the road.

The next lights I upgraded were the flashers in rear. Not sure the watts but they bolted right in. I changed the flasher relay to compensate for led lights, but they still don't flash. Oh well, flashers are annoying anyways.

Both of these light upgrades are a great welcome change to the old dim lights originally installed. If you have a little experience on how electricity flows wiring these up are a piece of cake.

Next post will be tires....

Attachments

tlcfj6082

Equipment
B7100 HST , B2550
Nov 19, 2017
MI
Not sure why all the pictures are rotated on the side. Sorry about that.

tlcfj6082

Equipment
B7100 HST , B2550
Nov 19, 2017
MI
Re: My B7100 HST upgrades

The front tires were do for a change as it kept sliding more then I wanted. The search for good 20.5 x 8-10 front tires is a joke. Thanks to this thread here
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1956&page=2
I realize I'm resurecting a 5 year old thread, but this is the one that both Google and the site pull up when searching for this info.

And now they're discontinued again. :(

Mine came with Goodyear 20.5 x 8 x 10 trailer tires on the front from the dealer. According to the original owner, it shipped with Ag tires, but he wanted turfs so the dealer switched them out. At 20psi, I measured the worn tires' circumference to be 65" even.

I replaced them with the 20 x 10 x 10 Carlisle "All Trail 2" ATV tire mentioned above. At 20 psi, I measure the circumference to be 64-3/8" -- which works out to a calculated 20.49" diameter. Tread width is virtually identical at 7", although the trailer tire sidewalls bulge considerably more on each side.

I really like the tread compared to the trailer tire.

My mind was made up. I ordered the atv 20x10x10 tires up online and installed. They work great. The size difference draw back is the top speed may be a tad slower, but that is a minor draw back I can live with when it keeps me out of the ditch.

Attachments

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Hi TLC, tell us more about your headlights. They look great! I have swapped my bulbs for led but the stock reflectors aren’t too bright.

PS - I had a 1967 FJ40 for 20 years, sneak in a shot of your cruiser, by the B7100 of course!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My first lighting mod was to replace the original bulbs/sockets with new ones from O'Riellys.
The second was to replace the whole assembly with "blue" lights. (right before LEDs got popular & cheaper:mad:) LEDs will be next.
Third, I added these red/amber LED flashers. They are very bright & noticeable from a long way off.

Incidentally, I'm an old LandCruiser guy myself. Had '67 soft top, a '69 hardtop, and a '73 hardtop that the previous owner converted to a soft top with an end-over-end 8 times backward rollover off the hill behind ASU's Tempe stadium.

Attachments

tlcfj6082

Equipment
B7100 HST , B2550
Nov 19, 2017
MI
Hey Lencho, sorry just say your question. The lights are TURBRO 2 x Mini Size 3.5inch 45W CREE LED .

Unfortunately I sold the FJ60 years ago. :(

tlcfj6082

Equipment
B7100 HST , B2550
Nov 19, 2017
MI
My first lighting mod was to replace the original bulbs/sockets with new ones from O'Riellys.
The second was to replace the whole assembly with "blue" lights. (right before LEDs got popular & cheaper:mad:) LEDs will be next.
Third, I added these red/amber LED flashers. They are very bright & noticeable from a long way off.

Incidentally, I'm an old LandCruiser guy myself. Had '67 soft top, a '69 hardtop, and a '73 hardtop that the previous owner converted to a soft top with an end-over-end 8 times backward rollover off the hill behind ASU's Tempe stadium.

How did you get your rear lights to flash with the LED lights ?

Yeah only Cruiser guys pick up on my handle.

1996B7100

Equipment
snowblower
Feb 25, 2019
Onondaga Hill, NY
Does anyone know what part # is associated with the Kubota B7100 LED Headlights? I want to swap of mine; the housing is cracked and they fell out.

I called Orielly's auto parts; but they couldn't look up anything for a 1996

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I don't know the answer to your question, but you must be an optimist. Going to Oreilly's looking for a 1996 Kubota part! Lucky if they could find a '96 Chev or Ford part!!

Around here they're often referred to as Oh Really, because of the answers you get when you ask for a specific part.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ