Replacing the rear main seal L2350DT

Sammybd

Equipment
Loader backhoe
Nov 29, 2017
Fairview,Tn USA
I have a question about my RMS that I just replaced on my L2350Dt
I'm not totally convinced that I did this right. Im posting some pics of my crank shaft before and after. With and without the new and old seal.
When I installed the seal, to me it doesn't look right. The spring is toward the engine correct?
And doesn't the inner spring on the seal hold pressure between the crank and seal for a reason?
Or does it ride specifically on the crank?
Sorry guys, first timer here. I thought you could give me some insight.
Thanks for your help Sam

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello Sam.
I think maybe the one thing that might be confusing is the seal is of a different style than the original. It looks like you have the outer edge of the seal flush with the housing. The important thing is to be sure it's even all the way around. The seal is riding on a wear ring that is slipped over the end of the crankshaft. The lip and spring are facing in. be sure to clean the bolt holes in the end of the crankshaft before you install the flywheel bolts. You want them to go all the way in by hand. Then torque them. Then install your new transmission. Good luck.
Lance

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The seal is a double lip seal, old seals has a felt exterior seal new ones are all rubber.
And yes spring goes in. ;)

I would suggest you put in a new pilot bearing/bushing while your in there, and of course check out all the other clutch parts too.

Shelbygt660

Feb 27, 2017
echo bay
Is it just me or. Does it look like the actual seal is extended on the crank to much? As if the bottom lip is stretched onto the crank?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is it just me or. Does it look like the actual seal is extended on the crank to much? As if the bottom lip is stretched onto the crank?
The crank is a dual step crank, it's sitting on the right step. ;)

Sammybd

Equipment
Loader backhoe
Nov 29, 2017
Fairview,Tn USA
The crank is a dual step crank, it's sitting on the right step. ;)
Ok, I have another dumb question..... where should the compression spring be when the RMS is fully seated. I just hope I pressed it on correctly. Looks like the tip of the seal should be curled under with the Compression spring holding pressure between it and the crank........ I feel like I'm beating a dead horse .thanks guys...........

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok, I have another dumb question..... where should the compression spring be when the RMS is fully seated. I just hope I pressed it on correctly. Looks like the tip of the seal should be curled under with the Compression spring holding pressure between it and the crank........ I feel like I'm beating a dead horse .thanks guys...........

The compression spring is holding the inside lip seal to the crank, if you had it in backwards or not fully seated you would see it in the pictures.
The lip you are seeing in the pictures is the outside seal, or second seal. and it's supposed to be pointed out not in. ;)

Sammybd

Equipment
Loader backhoe
Nov 29, 2017
Fairview,Tn USA
The compression spring is holding the inside lip seal to the crank, if you had it in backwards or not fully seated you would see it in the pictures.
The lip you are seeing in the pictures is the outside seal, or second seal. and it's supposed to be pointed out not in. ;)
Thank you.
Now onto the next step