trailer tires

Ladair

Equipment
Kubota l3400
Feb 19, 2018
Newark, Tx.
now lets talk trailer tires. I have a 16' utility trailer. and I just acquired a 18' car hauler. tires are wore out on both of them. in times past I just went down to my local tire dealer and had a good set of tires on my utility trailer. that was seven years ago.
so heres my deal. tires seem more specific today than just a few years ago(maybe I didn't pay that much attention) a friend piped up and told me there are some really cheap tires out there, hop on craigslist.
WOW. I now have tire overload.
both trailers are tagged for 4000# max load. I know the utility trailer has hauled more than that. the car hauler is a much heaver trailer. and I think when I get it changed over to my name ill have to up the total weight. plus get it inspected. I want to haul my l3400 on it.
"whew"
I would like some thoughts from this group.
thanks

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Look for specifically "trailer" tires. These are tires specifically for trailers and have a side wall that does not flex as much as other tires, and hauls more weight.

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
All kinds of ST tires on the market. Pay attention to the weight and speed rating on them before you buy. Just so you know most ST tires have a speed rating of 65 mph, that's why you see so many tire failures along the interstate on trailers. There are some very good ST tires available but most of them are NOT cheap. You need to figure out how much weight including the trailer, and buy tires that will support that weight.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Charlie has a great point on those tires.... & highway speeds..

its why you see so many blow outs.

you are talking about putting a good bit of weight on it plus the trailer weight.

get 8 or 10ply radials for that trailer!!

they hold the load, wont bust at speed, harder to get a flat & they even ride better..

cost is negligible vs a blow out & stranded or rolled over.

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
FWIW. I have Maxxis 8008 load range E on our camper 10,000lbs. Got rid of the china bombs long ago. Load range D on the 16ft utility trailer. Have had no trouble since.

Ladair

Equipment
Kubota l3400
Feb 19, 2018
Newark, Tx.
FWIW. I have Maxxis 8008 load range E on our camper 10,000lbs. Got rid of the china bombs long ago. Load range D on the 16ft utility trailer. Have had no trouble since.

exactly what I am leaning toward. load range E on the car hauler. D on the utility trailer.
my biggest curiosity is about the Chinese made tire. and folks who have bought them.
in my research it seems American tire makers will move to china, get poor quality, and a few will move a line back to America.
I have a late made Chinese tire on my smoker trailer. ugly looking thing. I definitely would not put it on either of my other trailers

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
I have had my share of crappy tires in the past. Went thru Goodyear Marathons, worst experience ever. Shredded 3 of them, destroyed rims. Then Carlisle tires, the earlier version, went thru 4 in less than 2 years. Supposedly they now have an improved version, but once burned, no way. When we purchased our last RV, it came with an off brand tire that didn't last a year. I can truly say they are now serving me well out next to the barn as tomato rings. I cannot give you a personal recommendation on the newest Goodyear Endurance, only except people seem to give them good reviews. But for the past few years my money has been on the Maxxis, haven't had a blowout since.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You "rid of the china bombs long ago." But where are Maxxis manufactured?
They are manufactured in the USA, Canada, and a ton of other locations but they are a Chinese Company...

Dilemma time...
Does a Chinese owned company making tires in US make the tires Chinese or US? :confused:

And do people in China, say, oh that was made in the US...it's junk? :p

And how do you feel about running around on tires that are made by a company that the majority (their words) of the tires they make are for a bicycle! :eek:

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
^^^ along what you guys are saying..

hankook's = those sucked ass. rode like a brick, lots of noise.

goodyears= they dont last long enough to go bad

firestone= same as goodyear.

carlisle = busted 2 on a trip out west.

Kumho = these were really good for 30K

michelin ltx & XTX= expensive & worth every nickel spent for everyday use/ride.

NITTO endura highway grappler= got these on my truck & trailer now... 50K + & they still look new on the truck. trailer has about 1.5K on it.... both are load range E. Best heavy duty tires ive ever had.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Ladair

Equipment
Kubota l3400
Feb 19, 2018
Newark, Tx.
They are manufactured in the USA, Canada, and a ton of other locations but they are a Chinese Company...

Dilemma time...
Does a Chinese owned company making tires in US make the tires Chinese or US? :confused:

And how do you feel about running around on tires that are made by a company that the majority (their words) of the tires they make are for a bicycle! :eek:

Exactly what I am finding in my research. I did find that one of the largest tire manufacturers in world is a Chinese company. Who are looking to build a very large plant I believe somewhere in the Carolinas.

I’ve often wondered what the Chinese worker putting English stickers on a product is thinking.
What the haties does this say.

And yes I’m confused. That’s why I posted here. To see if I could confuse anyone else.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Guys on the rv forum have been having good luck with the maxxis

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
E range tires are great for that....

but how do you get your tractor inside the toy hauler?

isnt it too tall? you take the ROP off?

for people who dont know: (it didnt space the columns correct but you can figure it out from here.)

Load Range, Ply, Max Pressure
B = 4PLY @35 psi
C = 6PLY @50 psi
D = 8 PLY @65 psi
E = 10PLY @80 psi
F = 12PLY @95 psi

Last edited:

Ladair

Equipment
Kubota l3400
Feb 19, 2018
Newark, Tx.
I have a 7 x 16 enclosed cargo trailer with twin 5.2k axles. It has a rear ramp with a 7' opening. I carry my tractor in it.

I run Hartland tires load range E and speed rating of N (87 mph). Have used them 4 years and nary a problem.

Check these out.

https://www.discounttire.com/tires/trailer-catalog?brand=hartland-tires
Thanks War Eagle. I’ll look into these. I like the mph rating. 65 mph that I am seeing on most trailer tires!!! Well I’ll leave it at that.

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
E range tires are great for that....

but how do you get your tractor inside the toy hauler?

isnt it too tall? you take the ROP off?
Actually neither my Allis Chalmers nor my Kubota have ROPS. The Allis is 1980 version so ROPS didn't even exist then, and my Kubota B3000HSDC has a cab which is built in roll over protection. The highest part of the Allis is the stack and it is 80 inches high.

The highest part of the Kubota is the cab and it is just under 84 inches. The clear opening on my cargo trailer is 86" so I can drive either of the tractors up into the trailer. The ramp is rated for 4.5k and I have multiple 5K rated tie down tabs on the inside trailer floor so I can anchor down the tractor when loaded on the trailer.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN

Dilemma time...

Back in the late 90's I worked with a guy from China. He didn't have a very high opinion of Chinese made back then. He preferred Japanese, but would settle for made in America.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I bought a cheap trailer 20 years ago and it had regular tires on it, not specified trailer tires. My neighbor borrowed it and had a tire blow so he replaced them with Akuret Chinese trailer rated D tires. Kind of ironic since he preaches against Chinese tires. He was on the road and they were the only ones he could get at the time. The way I use the trailer they will probably last as long as I have the trailer.