M6800 Shuttle doesn't shift without clutch

Belsaw

Equipment
M6800
May 17, 2010
River Falls, WI
I recently bought a M6800 and the shuttle does not go into forward or revers without using the manual clutch. If I use the clutch it shifts but still feels stiff. Any ideas?

Mountaindoc

Equipment
M6800
May 8, 2010
Blackey, KY
Does it seem to hesitate when you shift it into forward or reverse? I have the same tractor. I had a very similar problem. Not sure what you mean by having to hit the clutch to make it go. Do you mean the shuttle shift handle literally won't move without clutching it or do you mean pressing the clutch and then letting off seems to make it kick into gear?

Mountaindoc

Equipment
M6800
May 8, 2010
Blackey, KY
My tractor's shuttle shift lever got out of adjustment. I would put it into either forward or reverse and it would literally just sit there or barely move. And if I put it back into neutral and and shifted it back into forward or reverse with some force, then it would go. Otherwise, it just wouldn't. I finally found the adjustment for it on the left side just below the hood and fixed it. But it sounds like your problem is different and maybe more serious.

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
Some of these tractors are hydraulic shuttle and some may be mechanical shuttle. It sound like you might have a mechanical shuttle, which this may be normal. Has the tractor always operated like this? If it is mechanical, it is shifting gears so it will not shift without using the clutch. The hyd. shift model uses a clutch pack instead of a dry clutch for the main clutch as well as the shuttle clutch, so the lever would move whenever you try to move it. Be sure the easy stuff is ok first, make sure the linkage is freed up and moves easily.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I recently bought a M6800 and the shuttle does not go into forward or revers without using the manual clutch. If I use the clutch it shifts but still feels stiff. Any ideas?
Unless they made a model that I have never seen or heard of the 6800 was never offered with a hyd shuttle which is what you need to be able to shift without using the clutch. The 6800 came with a Synchro-mesh transmission in it.

On my M 9000 the shuttle will feel stiff if the tractor is still moving but it goes in smooth and free sitting still. It does this to keep the operator from being able to make a direction change before the transmission can accept it. If I am going forward and want to go to reverse I can clutch it and start to shift. I can feel resistance in the shifter until the tractor slows enough to take reverse and then it will go in easy. To me that sounds like what you are experiencing with your 6800.

The only models that are capable of shifting without the clutch will have a sticker on them that say Hydraulic Shuttle. These are the only ones that can be shifted without the use of the clutch. I hope this helps.

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
They do actually make a hydraulic shuttle model. When you split the tractor at the clutch housing, there is no dry clutch, instead there is a large housing (heavy) that has the hydraulic shuttle clutch. I havent ever seen any problems with them, but I had taken it out when I installed a revised shaft kit for the tractor popping out of second gear.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
What year did they offer a hydraulic shuttle in the 6800?

I would love to have that on my 9000 but it's not even shown as a option in any of the books that I have on that series of tractor. The first Kubota in this HP range that I ever saw with a hyd shuttle was the newer M 40 series tractors.

gpfw

Equipment
Kubota M5700, Kubota M4500, Kubota RTV900, Kubota FS-250 Diesel Powered Welder
Jan 25, 2014
Azle, Texas
Belsaw, if you are still around, I am having the same problem with my 2005 M5700 and wondered how you resolved the issue. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: