PTO not engaging in any position BX2660

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
So I have had so many problems with this tractor! I bought it new in 2011 and it's been one thing after another every since.

The latest issue: No matter what I try, the PTO will not engage in any position (front, mid, rear). With the engine off I can select each one and manually check the output shafts and they do lock into place as selected and turn freely when not selected. The levers both move free as they should.

So the last time I used the tractor they were working, BUT I noticed there was water in the hydraulic fluid AGAIN... (how does that keep happening?!) So I drained the fluid from all the different places. (drain plug, screen, filter, etc) Put new fluid back in it, drive it around a bit to allow the new fluid to circulate, then parked it back in the garage. Went out today and put the belly mower on and went to mow the grass and nothing... The PTO will not engage at all. The loader works fine. I have checked the safety switches and they are working fine, so what am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A really dumb question,,,, did you engage to PTO lever and if you have did you examine the linkage?

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
I just checked for PTO pressure on the test port that comes out of the side of the PTO valve shaft (where the selector lever attaches to)

I get zero pressure. I then checked the PTO relieve valve (bottom port on the HST filter housing) Everything looks ok there.

So I guess now I have to trace back to where the pressure comes from that engages the PTO clutch.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does the three point work?
FEL if so equipped?

If those do then your more likely looking at a damaged clutch pack.

Pull the plug out and see if you get any fluid flow at all.

Water gets in to these systems more often than not through heavy rains and bad vents or from owners taking them swimming.

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
Does the three point work?
FEL if so equipped?

If those do then your more likely looking at a damaged clutch pack.

Pull the plug out and see if you get any fluid flow at all.

Water gets in to these systems more often than not through heavy rains and bad vents or from owners taking them swimming.
Yes, the FEL and 3 point lift arms work fine.

I get no fluid flow at the PTO engagement valve test port. But isn't this before the clutch? This is what supplies pressure to apply the clutch from what I understand, so if that is true, then the problem has nothing to do with the clutch.

It doesn't make sense because everything was working fine right before I noticed water in the oil, which I immediately drained and let it sit overnight to completely drain every drop out, then refilled with new oil. A few days went by, as I was going to mow the yard, I noticed neither PTO would work.

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
Just reread the manual to make sure I was correct. Here is what it says:

"PTO Clutch - "Engaged"
The oil from power steering controller flows into the
PTO clutch valve.
When the PTO clutch lever is set at the "Engaged"
position, the PTO clutch valve rotates. Oil flows from the
oil line through transmission case to the PTO clutch
pack."

So it looks like I need to check oil pressure coming from the power steering controller at this point.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the clutch pack is blown or has blown a seal, you will have flow but no pressure as the pack is the seal on that end of things.

So yes a damaged clutch will give you no pressure reading.

Now as far as the feed for the hydraulic flow and pressure for the PTO clutch, is the steering working?
If it is it's got flow and pressure.

Your issue more than likely is in the pressure relief valve.
When you checked it what parts did you find in there?

Do you remove the clutch spool valve and check the orifices?
They are very small and if something became loose and got into the valve that too would explain it's non operation.

Attachments

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
Now as far as the feed for the hydraulic flow and pressure for the PTO clutch, is the steering working?
If it is it's got flow and pressure.

Your issue more than likely is in the pressure relief valve.
When you checked it what parts did you find in there?

Do you remove the clutch spool valve and check the orifices?
They are very small and if something became loose and got into the valve that too would explain it's non operation.
Yes, the power steering is working.

I pulled the pressure relief valve and everything looks fine and exactly what the wsm shows it should be. (this was never removed until now)

I have not pulled the clutch spool valve. Where is this located? Is this the same thing as the PTO clutch valve that the Engagement lever attaches to and rotates? If so, I cannot get it out easily, the frame rail is in the way.

I really appreciate your help!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes, the power steering is working.

I pulled the pressure relief valve and everything looks fine and exactly what the wsm shows it should be. (this was never removed until now)

I have not pulled the clutch spool valve. Where is this located? Is this the same thing as the PTO clutch valve that the Engagement lever attaches to and rotates? If so, I cannot get it out easily, the frame rail is in the way.

I really appreciate your help!
I was looking for a specific answer as to what you found in the pressure relief valve, because there were 2 designs, one has a ball bearing and the other has a poppet valve, your issue could be in the seating of that valve.
you might need to replace it with newer designed parts.

Yes the PTO spool valve is the valve that rotates at the end of the lever.
The WSM calls for cleaning it so it most likely was an issue at some point. ;)

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
I was looking for a specific answer as to what you found in the pressure relief valve, because there were 2 designs, one has a ball bearing and the other has a poppet valve, your issue could be in the seating of that valve.
you might need to replace it with newer designed parts.

Yes the PTO spool valve is the valve that rotates at the end of the lever.
The WSM calls for cleaning it so it most likely was an issue at some point. ;)
It does not have a ball (old type), it's a tapered plug with a hole in it that looks like it seals into a seat. I can pull it back out and take a picture if you like. I probably need to look at it a little closer anyways.

As for the spool valve, I cannot understand why they didn't notch the frame so this could be easily removed. So my choice is to pull the transmission out or notch the frame myself.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
It does not have a ball (old type), it's a tapered plug with a hole in it that looks like it seals into a seat. I can pull it back out and take a picture if you like. I probably need to look at it a little closer anyways.

As for the spool valve, I cannot understand why they didn't notch the frame so this could be easily removed. So my choice is to pull the transmission out or notch the frame myself.
I just notch the frame, doesn't take long and if you ever have to do it again! There is a good chance something (often a piece of silicone) is plugging up one of the small holes in it. After you notch the frame you can remove the small bolt and the lever and valve will come right out. nothing will fall down inside or anything. Lubricate the orings with synthetic grease or dialectric grease when you reassemble it.

Last edited:

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
I just notch the frame, doesn't take long and if you ever have to do it again! There is a good chance something (often a piece of silicone) is plugging up one of the small holes in it. After you notch the frame you can remove the small bolt and the lever and valve will come right out. nothing will fall down inside or anything. Lubricate the orings with synthetic grease or dialectric grease when you reassemble it.
Man I sure hope that is all it is! I really don't want to have to tear down the transmission!

As soon as I get the chance I will notch the frame and check it out then report back to you guys.

Many Thanks!

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
Is the small hole that is BETWEEN the 2 O-rings supposed to go all the way into the hole that's through the center of the shaft? Right now it is a fairly shallow hole (about 1/8" deep) that does not connect to the big hole in the center of the shaft.

I cannot see how this would work without this hole going all the way through. I stuck a small drill bit into the hole and tried cleaning it out, but it will not go.

When I start the engine without this valve in place I get plenty of flow which tells me everything up to this point is working perfect.

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Is the small hole that is BETWEEN the 2 O-rings supposed to go all the way into the hole that's through the center of the shaft? Right now it is a fairly shallow hole (about 1/8" deep) that does not connect to the big hole in the center of the shaft.

I cannot see how this would work without this hole going all the way through. I stuck a small drill bit into the hole and tried cleaning it out, but it will not go.

When I start the engine without this valve in place I get plenty of flow which tells me everything up to this point is working perfect.
That is the port that sometimes gets plugged it should be open to the center drilling. That port aligns with the oil supply port in the housing when the PTO is engaged and it aligns with another "drain" port when the PTO is disengaged so the oil will not be trapped and allow the PTO to disengage. Seems odd that it isn't fairly easy to clean it out though! Whatever is plugging it will have entered it from the outside. Hard to believe enough oil can get through there to adequately supply the PTO clutch isn't it?

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
So according to the manual the small hole between the 2 O-rings IS an oil passage. I cannot even drill out this hole for whatever reason! I have a drill bit that goes down into the hole about 1/8" deep then stops and will NOT go any further, even after putting it on a hand drill. This is so weird... But I guess it's good news since this is most likely my issue.

Attachments

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
That is the port that sometimes gets plugged it should be open to the center drilling. That port aligns with the oil supply port in the housing when the PTO is engaged and it aligns with another "drain" port when the PTO is disengaged so the oil will not be trapped and allow the PTO to disengage. Seems odd that it isn't fairly easy to clean it out though! Whatever is plugging it will have entered it from the outside. Hard to believe enough oil can get through there to adequately supply the PTO clutch isn't it?
OMG! That hole is tiny... a 1mm drill bit fits it perfect. It's just crazy that I can't get it to go all the way through.

I will try again after dinner. Right now I am so happy that it doesn't look like I have to pull the tranny out!

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
OMG! That hole is tiny... a 1mm drill bit fits it perfect. It's just crazy that I can't get it to go all the way through.

I will try again after dinner. Right now I am so happy that it doesn't look like I have to pull the tranny out!
If you have a rod that closely fits the drilling in the center of the valve you possibly dislodge whatever is in there by "hydraulicing" it out. fill the drilling up with a thick oil and place the rod in the drilling
and give it a sharp wrap with a hammer. the resulting pressure should force whatever is in there out. It couldn't have been plugged from factory or the PTO would never have worked so whatever is there was put there by hydraulic pressure.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Take out the plug on the end and see if the small port connects to that plug hole.