L2850 Hydraulic issues

colej

Equipment
L2850
Jun 27, 2016
paige
It was time to pull the filter and clean it and after replacing it there was no action on either the loader, 3point and the power steering very hard. So i pulled the filter again to check and the housing was still empty (after 15 minutes of running prior). I was thinking there was an air lock so i filled the sump of the filter and reinstalled and another 15 minutes and no action on the hydraulics.
It seems the hydraulic level is fine, if not a little overfull so there is plenty of fluid. It seems as if there is no suction from the pump up through the filter.
It was working prior to pulling the filter out to clean it. is there some relief valve or something that may be stuck open and not allowing the suction up from the transmission as that seems to be whats happening but I don't know the hydraulic system well enough. any suggestions greatly appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Most likely you have a leak in the suction line or fittings, as it has a 2 stage pump (PS on one stage and three point and loader on another) it's not very likely that the pump just went south, but it could be getting tired and not producing the needed suction.

This would be my #1: Any leak on the suction line or fittings will usually not present itself as a dripping leak, so inspect the suction line and connections for any wetness anywhere, and look for wear or any possible leaking point.

Also triple check that you have the right filter for it, and that the filter is not bad (seen a couple that were just made wrong and plugged up), also that the original gasket came off and is not causing it to leak there.

If the pump is on it's way out, you can crack the out line on the pump and sometimes get it to prime.

colej

Equipment
L2850
Jun 27, 2016
paige
Thanks, I'll check those things out. I agree, very strange to just "die" like that after pulling and cleaning the filter. Yes, the filter is correct but now that you mention suction leaks i wonder if it's sucking in air around the o-ring for the filter sump as that hasn't been changed in a very long time.

cheers