PTO wont drive

Homer_Jay

Equipment
L1501 DT
Oct 29, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
HI, new to the forum. What a great place for information.

I have a 1501DT and the PTO has stopped working. The gear lever will still engage (you can still feel the gears mesh in) but the output shaft will not turn with any load on it.

It was working fine (just running a pump on a sprayer) so no unusual high load. Was no unusual noise when it happend (no bangs or clunck noises).

Has anyone come across this problem before?

Homer_Jay

Equipment
L1501 DT
Oct 29, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
OK, further update.

I have drained the oil and unbolted the 4 bolts on the plate near the PTO output shaft and removed the shaft.

The shaft has sheared off just behind the bearing.

Now, next question
How do I remove the shaft part that is still inside the tractor? Should this just slide out? Any suggestions as to how to get a grip on the thing? (it is 40mm inside the back edge of the tractor).

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Perhaps duckbill pliers?
or do you call them platy pliers:)

Don't know how much clearance you have or if there's much to get a pinch on.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Perhaps duckbill pliers?
or do you call them platy pliers:)

Don't know how much clearance you have or if there's much to get a pinch on.
I would say that the next question is whether the shaft will slide out, or is there more disassembly to be done? No sense in trying to grab the sheared shaft if it won't come out. Sorry, I don't know that answer, but someone here should. Lots of smart and experienced people here.

Homer_Jay

Equipment
L1501 DT
Oct 29, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for the replies

I can get a pair of Multi grips on the shaft (not sure what you guys call these) but it wont budge. I havent put too much force on it yet.

As Hodge said, I really need to know if it is designed to just pull out? Or if there is something at the other end to be released first? It looks as though it is designed to be servicable from the rear. Otherwise it looks like the trator will need to be split.

I will try to upload a couple of pics.

Photo 1 is the back of tractor showing broken shaft inside
Photo 2 is the part of the shaft removed. (has broken just behind bearing.

Attachments

Homer_Jay

Equipment
L1501 DT
Oct 29, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
No help on this one?

Has anyone ever pulled one of these shafts out?

I have taken the transfer case off to see the shaft go through with a couple of gears on the shaft that spin freely (to drive the 4WD) so, I have undone the circlip holding these on (thinking the shaft may then slide out) but no luck, seems as though there is still something at the front holding it in place.

Does anyone have a parts diagram for one of these? I have looked at the 185 and the 175 (as some have suggested the L1501DT is same or similar) but the diagrams on both seem to differ from what mine looks like.

Being a "grey" tractor the local Kubota deal is no help. The local guy who imports the tractors is sorcing me a new shaft, but is unable to offer too much advice on getting the old one out.

Homer_Jay

Equipment
L1501 DT
Oct 29, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Vic,

Thats just what I needed to know (although not the answer I wanted to hear! LOL)

I think the job is over my head, so I will begin the search for a local tractor mechanic that is prepared to do the job.
If any Aussies on here know a good mechanic around Brisbane (that is prepared to work on a grey tractor) then please let me know.

Cheers