Front ballast question…

mic214

Equipment
Kubota LX2610 W/cab brushhog, box blade & pallet forks
May 11, 2014
Colorado
One of the main uses that I would have for my tractor when I get it will be for mowing and box blading. I would prefer to do these tasks without the FEL for better visibility.

So, with the FEL removed, would it be necessary to add ballast in the front in the form of suitcase weights?

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
What size tractor? Mine does fine without the loader and NO water in any of the tires.

mic214

Equipment
May 11, 2014
Colorado
What size tractor? Mine does fine without the loader and NO water in any of the tires.
I don't have a tractor yet, but I am hoping to get one within a couple of months. Most likely it will be an L2501 or an L3301 depending on what kind of deal I can swing with my "Ministry of Finance".....:)

What size tractor do you have?

What size are they and are they Heavy Duty? I remove my FEL for mowing about half the time. I can mow faster (lose ~900 lbs), it feels like I gain 3 or 4 horse power without the FEL.

Suitcase weights interfere with the grill guard (it's either or, not both - I think). I would keep the FEL on when box blading - usually load it with gravel, just in case I need to spread some.
Not sure about the weight size. That is what I am trying to figure out if I need them and how many.

I have seen an add-on bracket that allows you to mount the suitcase weights on the front of the tractor.

That is a good tip about loading the bucket with gravel while running the box blade.....:)

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Easier and faster for me to mow without the FEL on. Lots of trees to mow around here. No need for suitcase weights for mowing.

mic214

Equipment
May 11, 2014
Colorado
Easier and faster for me to mow without the FEL on. Lots of trees to mow around here. No need for suitcase weights for mowing.
Our yard is mostly flat, but it does have a very slight slope on each side of the house. We have several trees on the edges, but the center section is wide open. We call it the "Airstrip".....:)

Last edited:

mic214

Equipment
May 11, 2014
Colorado
So, if I do decide to add suitcase weights, does the L3301 have a rack for them or would I have to add one?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
So why do you think you need front weights to start with :confused:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
My L3200 is similar in size to the tractors you're considering. So far nothing I've grabbed with the 3PH has even hinted that front ballast would be needed. Since most of time on mine has been spent mowing, I keep the loader off unless I'm using it.

Mine needs weight on the rear. The tires are loaded, but when picking something heavy with the loader, I still make sure to hang something off the back. There's usually something on the 3PH anyway. Now there's a snowblower on it and when that comes off the 6' finish mower will go on. The only time either of these implements come off is if I want to run something else off the back.

I have a fun little Ford 1210 that's another story. Without a couple weights on the front, the 5' rear finish mower can take too much weight off the front wheels when raised.

mic214

Equipment
May 11, 2014
Colorado
So why do you think you need front weights to start with :confused:
That is what I am here to find out. I am a tractor novice, with hopes of getting either an L2501 or an L3301 in the next couple of months. So I am looking for advice from those more experienced than me in tractor operation.

I appreciate any help, tips and advice for safe tractor operation......Thanks!

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I have always left the loader on while using my last two tractors (L3410, L4060). My first tractor didn’t have a loader and required suitcase weights to keep the front end down, but it was a much smaller B8200 with a heavy mower (6 foot).
I suspect a properly sized mower on a L2501 or 3301 would not require front weights under normal circumstances. I frequently back my tractor down a stream bank with the mower in the air to clear brush several times a year... a time when extra weight up front may be needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kenmac

Equipment
B26 with hyd. thumb and 4 in 1 loader bucket and EA Grapple, but not the wicked
Dec 14, 2015
Pell City, Al.
Off subject advice.....hope you don't mind. I would personally rather have the L2501 due to it being much simpler and less money up front without the emission controls present on the L3301. Power difference probably would not be noticed. Research problems with Tier 4 engines before you decide. Hope this helps you.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That is what I am here to find out. I am a tractor novice, with hopes of getting either an L2501 or an L3301 in the next couple of months. So I am looking for advice from those more experienced than me in tractor operation.

OK my friend I understand now, to be dead honest unless your trying to lift something way heavy on your 3 pt, there is no real need for front weight. I know with my little BX there is nothing I can put on it,,, that would be usable ,,,, that would bring the front end up. NOW I have had the boom pole on and lifted the front end but the log I was trying to lift weighted more than my tractor, and the boom was 5 feet off the 3 pt. So the rear tires acted like a fulcrum point, and thus lifted the front end. This would work the same with any tractor when you over load the 3 pt. What do you plan on putting on the 3 pt, if you said I missed it.
So if you sty with in the recommendations of the tractor you shouldnt have any problems.
I know being a new guy sometimes things are over whelming, and believe it or not there is a lot of geometry when working a tractor, but the MAIN THING is common sense. I hope this helped, because you came to the right place, while there may be a difference of opinions on some things, you will get the right answer. We have guys in here that have forgotten more about tractors than I know. SO welcome and the very best with which one you decide upon

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I have always left the loader on while using my last two tractors (L3410, L4060). My first tractor didn’t have a loader and required suitcase weights to keep the front end down, but it was a much smaller B8200 with a heavy mower (6 foot).

Not to hi-jack (yes I'm hi-jacking) but you ran a 6' mower on your B8200? How did it fair in turning it, being only a 16hp PTO? Was it HST or Gearshift?

Back to regularly scheduled programming....
Front weights also help the front tires bite (get traction) into the ground. They aren't just for ballast to offset something on the rear of the machine. Weight is good for traction when in ground engaging activities.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Not to hi-jack (yes I'm hi-jacking) but you ran a 6' mower on your B8200? How did it fair in turning it, being only a 16hp PTO? Was it HST or Gearshift? (Snip)
It powered the mower without issue, but the 8200 was a geared tractor and not live pto. It was inconvenient starting and stopping. The mower was a Befco C30 I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
It powered the mower without issue, but the 8200 was a geared tractor and not live pto. It was inconvenient starting and stopping. The mower was a Befco C30 I believe.
Wow that's contrary to all the publications i read.they all say 6' would be way too much for the B8200. Interesting to hear first hand account.

Back to ballast. I have 165lbs of suitcase weights on my B8200. I used my boom pole to move a Chevy 5.3 iron block on an engine stand (had to be 600lbs with the stand) from my garage to my barn. I had to have my wife stand on top of the front weights to keep the tires down, otherwise i had basically no steering because the tires were just kissing the ground.

If you need 4wd and won't have the loader on, then front weights can/will help. If you can keep the loader on, then no you don't need them. If you don't need 4wd or use 4wd much, but will have heavy(er) attachments on the rear, then they can help for sure. Basically having the weights around to use when the loader is not installed, will only be a benefit of use. I can't think of any instances where i would or needed take mine off because they were a hindrance of some sort.

"Better to have and not need than need and not have." In my opinion.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
If you get the B you can use a mid-mount mower.
I use a 60" with my B2320 and do not need any front ballast when mowing.
However if I jerk up the 3 point the front wheels will come off the ground.
The front end is very light when transporting the deck and is very light on the steering but when mowing you don't know it's there.
If you buy the L I doubt you will have a problem. It's difficult to give you correct answers until you decide exactly what you plan on doing. You can always ask the dealer when you go orange shopping.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
One of the main uses that I would have for my tractor when I get it will be for mowing and box blading. I would prefer to do these tasks without the FEL for better visibility.

So, with the FEL removed, would it be necessary to add ballast in the front in the form of suitcase weights?
Visibility is usually not an issue for grading and the fel is useful for grading anyway. When grading the driveways and shared roads with my grader scraper, I often use the the fel for touch-up grading on road ends and intersections. The fel is a lot handier for leveling out a left over pile of dirt or gravel. I suspect most leveling operations with a box blade could also use an occasional touch-up with the fel.

mic214

Equipment
May 11, 2014
Colorado

OK my friend I understand now, to be dead honest unless your trying to lift something way heavy on your 3 pt, there is no real need for front weight. I know with my little BX there is nothing I can put on it,,, that would be usable ,,,, that would bring the front end up. NOW I have had the boom pole on and lifted the front end but the log I was trying to lift weighted more than my tractor, and the boom was 5 feet off the 3 pt. So the rear tires acted like a fulcrum point, and thus lifted the front end. This would work the same with any tractor when you over load the 3 pt. What do you plan on putting on the 3 pt, if you said I missed it.
So if you sty with in the recommendations of the tractor you shouldnt have any problems.
I know being a new guy sometimes things are over whelming, and believe it or not there is a lot of geometry when working a tractor, but the MAIN THING is common sense. I hope this helped, because you came to the right place, while there may be a difference of opinions on some things, you will get the right answer. We have guys in here that have forgotten more about tractors than I know. SO welcome and the very best with which one you decide upon
Picking out a tractor is definitely overwhelming!

Currently around the hacienda, my primary task will be mowing with a brush hog and doing some stump and rock removal. So whatever size tractor I get will have a backhoe and a brush hog. I just wanted make sure I was safe when running the brush hog without the FEL on.

We also have a 140 acre piece of ranch land that I use for hunting. This has a couple of roads through it that I need to maintain. I also want to add about another mile or so of roadway that will to allow me access to more of the property. So, eventually, a box blade will be needed for that.

I appreciate all of the info you all have given me. It helps a lot. I know that I will be getting one of the “L” series Kubotas. While the DPF is a concern, there is also the “Get the biggest tractor you can afford” angle. My lovely bride says that this will be a one time deal, so I want to ale sure I get the right tractor now that won’t leave me wishing I had gone bigger down the road.…

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just one more thing,,,,,, Should your lovely bride climb aboard, you might as well resolve your self to the fact, YOU are gona loose seat time.. :D
And as far as a one time thing,,,, once she finds out all the things you can do,,, And she gets in to a cab mdl,,, that just might change,,lol

mic214

Equipment
May 11, 2014
Colorado
Just one more thing,,,,,, Should your lovely bride climb aboard, you might as well resolve your self to the fact, YOU are gona loose seat time.. :D
And as far as a one time thing,,,, once she finds out all the things you can do,,, And she gets in to a cab mdl,,, that just might change,,lol
Ha ha ha.......I was afraid of that!

She has driven the L4400 that belongs to our neighbor, which has the HST transmission. So, it has been decided that ours will have it too. The Honey do list has been growing as well....

As for the cab model, she got me one for Christmas:

She said that I already have a real nice Carhartt jacket and that she would get me a pair of gloves....and I should not forget my hat!

Last edited: