Running FEL off of Tractor Hydraulics?

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
I have a L345DT with loader, and the pump failed on me yesterday while moving snow.
I know that these FELs were usually made independently, and I know that I am going to have trouble finding a pump and parts for the pump. (the image is the pump style).
Would I be able to run the FEL off of the tractor hydraulics? I don't use the FEL and implements at the same time, so I'm not worried about that, I would just like to get it working again.

Thanks!

Attachments

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
Thanks for the info!
I got the pump off, and not only do I need a new pump, but I need the shaft coming from the crankshaft adapter that goes to the pump. The pump shaft was completely stripped out. I supposed after 33 years, it finally gave up the ghost.
Any idea on where to find that shaft? It is splined at the crankshaft adapter, then goes to some type of coupler with a piece of chain and sprocket, then it went to a keyed adapter for the pump. When I get the rusted beast off, I can take pics.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do post some pic's as there is 2 different spline couplers for that set up. ;)

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
Here are some pics. The lighting isn't great, it was in my barn. Also, don't mind the coolant, the drain valve leaks a little, and is a PITA.
The last two pics are the pump shaft, and the mount that had apparently been broken for quite a while.
https://imgur.com/a/7OSm2

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is it the internal splines (female end) on the crank side of the shaft that are stripped, or on the pump shaft (female end, key way) that is stripped?

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
Is it the internal splines (female end) on the crank side of the shaft that are stripped, or on the pump shaft (female end, key way) that is stripped?
The crank side is fine, the pump end is the one that's stripped out. It's rusted on, so I am going to have to remove the whole adapter to get it out.

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
Just a quick update.
Instead of replacing everything, I drilled through the coupler and pump shafts and put a bolt in place. It's a temporary fix until I can get something more permanent, but I needed to be going again so that I can move snow from our never-ending winter.

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
Well, my fix almost made it one year!
We had a massive snowstorm, and I was using the loader to move snow, and all of a sudden, I heard loud banging, and the loader stopped working. I dug into it, and where I had drilled the shaft it snapped.
So, I began the hunt for a new pump. The link is the one that I went with. The original was .77 cu. inches and this one is .85 cu. inches. I also had to replace the portion of the coupler that had the keyway, as that was completely shot.

This began the process of making a new pump work with a 33-year-old tractor.
I cut off the existing keyway adapter and welded on the new one. I had to make sure that the length of the coupler was good. I also had to trim the bottom mounting tabs on the new pump so that it would fit on the mounting plate. Once I got everything mounted and connected, I fired it up and it works like a dream! It's not any "faster" than the old pump, but, it doesn't seem to work as hard as the old pump.

So, if there's anyone out there that needs a new pump, this one works!
https://www.globalindustrial.com/product?itemKey=30537036