Please help my Orange dreams come true

21 acres

Jan 22, 2018
Dutchess county NY
Hi all, I just purchased 21 acres and have a half mile driveway in the Hudson Valley area of NY. I am the rookie of all rookies when it comes to tractors. I have read almost every thread on here, and have seen over 100 videos on youtube of all things Kubota related.

I must get the proper tractor for my property. Needs are snow removal for the half mile driveway, cleanup of the grounds of dead limbs/logs/brush, and all the other things that will pop up. My driveway has a shale base. Not sure if I am going to pave it.

Im heavily leaning toward the B2650 with cab, grapple, 63" front snowblower, and FEL. Im not on the tightest budget, so I could swing a larger tractor If I had to, but don't want to just because I can. I have read a million times on here to go bigger if possible and there are rarely regrets. If I went bigger I guess I would get the Grand L 4060 with cab. It then introduces tier 4 drama into the equation. Like I said before, Im inexperienced with all this stuff. I often wonder how the b2650 might let me down besides taking a bit longer. Perhaps if I had a grapple on it and went to lift a large log that... it would just wimper and not lift it, whereas the 4060 would effortlessly do so? Or maybe on my 15% grade on a stretch of the driveway I might not be able to plow up the hill?

Im not sure what I will be mowing with. I thought maybe I could use the B2650 with a MMM because I made sure the excavator carefully sculpted the land so it would be easy to mow. Then sometimes I think I will just get a zero turn, then I realize they don't have AC and go back to the Kubota. Vicious circles.

I'm tired of watching youtube videos of all the fun Kubota stuff. I need my own orange juice! Thank you

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Go with the biggest you can afford and don't sweat the tier 4 stuff. I'm a new OTT guy and orange juicer myself - and I'm SO glad I went that direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluelou212

Equipment
BX2670, L3901 TLB
Nov 20, 2017
Callicoon, NY, USA
Hi all, I just purchased 21 acres and have a half mile driveway in the Hudson Valley area of NY. I am the rookie of all rookies when it comes to tractors. I have read almost every thread on here, and have seen over 100 videos on youtube of all things Kubota related.

I must get the proper tractor for my property. Needs are snow removal for the half mile driveway, cleanup of the grounds of dead limbs/logs/brush, and all the other things that will pop up. My driveway has a shale base. Not sure if I am going to pave it.

Im heavily leaning toward the B2650 with cab, grapple, 63" front snowblower, and FEL. Im not on the tightest budget, so I could swing a larger tractor If I had to, but don't want to just because I can. I have read a million times on here to go bigger if possible and there are rarely regrets. If I went bigger I guess I would get the Grand L 4060 with cab. It then introduces tier 4 drama into the equation. Like I said before, Im inexperienced with all this stuff. I often wonder how the b2650 might let me down besides taking a bit longer. Perhaps if I had a grapple on it and went to lift a large log that... it would just wimper and not lift it, whereas the 4060 would effortlessly do so? Or maybe on my 15% grade on a stretch of the driveway I might not be able to plow up the hill?

Im not sure what I will be mowing with. I thought maybe I could use the B2650 with a MMM because I made sure the excavator carefully sculpted the land so it would be easy to mow. Then sometimes I think I will just get a zero turn, then I realize they don't have AC and go back to the Kubota. Vicious circles.

I'm tired of watching youtube videos of all the fun Kubota stuff. I need my own orange juice! Thank you
21 acres,
I'm in a somewhat similar position. 30 acres in Sullivan County, just to your west. Last year I bought a bx2670 thinking I would just be doing mowing and basic FEL work. Then, we had more land cleared and started thinking about larger projects. So, we ended up with a 2nd tractor, an L3901 TLB and a few implements.

What might be of value to you is how I went from bx to L, and skipped the B series which seems to be very popular. The bx was too light for much more than mowing and light material work. But, it's a really nice mower. If I had figured this out in advance I would have gone with a ZTM plus the L. For me, the B series seemed like the worst possible choice. It's not going to be the mower you get close to your house with and, from what I can recall, I was concerned about lift capacity and PTO HP for the B series.

If you're going to lift much with the FEL you'll need weight. If you're going to dig you need a hoe. If you're using implements you'll find that you need at least 30 hp pto to get beyond the subcompact-level implements. The +/- 30 hp at the PTO was key to me.

Take some tractors out for a test drive at the lot. Get it in the dirt and make sure it does what you want it to do. That's how I figured out which tractor was best for my use case.

For you, the nearest Kubota dealer is probably Pine Bush Equipment. There's a small tax savings if you go to Marshall Machinery in PA, but that might be too far for you.

Good luck!

P. S. Another use case example: The reason why I didn't go with an even larger tractor such as a grand L was our lot has a network of existing mountainside logging trails. I was afraid a grand L or wider tractor would be too wide for the trails.

Last edited:

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
I am 100% with Lou.

I went in looking for a B, but after I told my dealer how I would be using it, he told me I wouldn't be happy in a few months and would be back to get a bigger machine. I am sure glad I listen to him and went with the L, I just wish I had been smart enough to get the L4700.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For that long of a drive and for doing any tree work and especially the 15% grade drive (your going to want chains and a loaded tires), I would go with the Grand L 4060 with cab.

I have a 10% grade for about 300Ft, and that one section can get wicked hard to do when it's heavy snow.

If you get a fair amount of snow get the front mount Snowblower and the front mount snow plow, not the FEL mount plow.
It's faster and better on grades. :D

If the grade is curvy you might also want to get front chains too. ;)

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
One factor to seriously consider in your tractor decision is how much free time do you have to accomplish the tasks like snow removal. The B2650 with cab and all the attachments is a very nice tractor, very capable and a good versatile size. However, it will take longer to clear your long driveway than the Grand L4060. The good thing with the B2650 is you can equip it to do all your winter and summer tasks. The best thing to do is to visit a dealer or two and sit on and operate the two sizes of tractors and see how they feel. The other thing to do is to make a check list that list all the tasks that you want to be able to do with the tractor, then compare that to each tractor to see if it can do it.

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I love my B2910 and it’s perfect for me, but for what you are describing I'm with everyone else and I would recommend an L series. You’re going to want the extra power and weight for that long driveway and the many tasks that will arise with a new piece of property. Also, as Bluelou said, 30 HP seems to be a cutoff for many PTO implements and you’ll be happy to be on the right side of that cutoff point.

As for mowing, with the exception of a large open field, nothing beats a good zero turn mower IMO. I mow my pasture every few weeks in the summer with the tractor, but around the house always gets mowed with the ZTM. And having lived in Putnam county, NY I feel comfortable saying you will be OK without the AC when mowing – those ZTMs go fast enough you’ll have a nice breeze ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There are often posts about choosing the right tractor for the acreage and intended use.

If someone has more then about 10 acres, unless it's all like a golf course green, they need two machines minimum. One to mow and one to do everything else. The more acreage the more tractor needed and therefore the mower gets compromised if you stay with one machine.

If funding is an issue, and it usually is, buy whatever will mow the "yard" the way you want it to look because that's your focal point. Depending on one's terrain, if you're not mowing a mountain side, I'd go with a zero turn. For doing various work on 10 acres I'd suggest a 20 HP tractor, and for every 10 acres I'd increase the HP another 8-10. Up to a limit of the needs.

A big problem in purchasing equipment is folks want something new. Maybe because it looks good, smells good, impresses the neighbors. Could be one doesn't know how to evaluate equipment and has been taught, "When you buy something used you're buying someone else's problem".

Many folks would be much better off in the long run by buying used. This gives them the opportunity to use the equipment, learn how it works, what it's limits are, at a much lower cost. A few years later, with a better understand of the needs and tractors a trade up will be satisfying.

My prejudices are simple. I stated out with a B6100 two wheel drive. I actually wanted something to mow the yard with because I wore out a Sears 10 hp mower in 3 years on 6 acres. Part of the problem was the Craftsman would not move snow, and my neighbor's 9N would get stuck on spit!

That's a longer story, but 5 years later I bought a B8200 with loader. As things changed I added equipment to fit the needs. After those two tractors I never bought a new machine. On a 50 acre farm with some cattle I have three machines, a '66 Case, '82 Deutz, and a '51 crawler. At home on 6 acres my biggest tractor is L4240 and I use it all the time to save my back, not "farming".

But one of the handiest machines I have is a Ditch Witch R40 (1980 model) with trenching boom, backhoe, 6 way backfill blade.

Buy used. Learn to use the "search" function on a computer to solve mechanical issues. Become a good mechanic. Get all your work done with great satisfaction. Don't be in debt.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I have an L3560 grand with a front blower that takes care of my mile long driveway which works well even when we get wet snow however like others have said I would think a 4060 would be that much better. The key to moving wet snow is not to let it build up so that it takes you all day to clear it not to mention much easier on your equipment. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Bevan175

Equipment
Kubota B2650 HSDC
Aug 11, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I was on the search last fall for a tractor for our new to us my 11 acre property. If have 5 acres wooded, 6 acres to mow with a 1400' driveway. I went with the B2650 HSDC with Turf tires and could not be happier. I have the FEL, 72 MMM, 60 Box Scraper and 72 rear Blade. I've mowed, mover dirt, stove & driveway work, moved wood and pushed snow. The Cab is a huge plus. This unit has done everything I have asked of it. As my goal is to finish up the estate type property and then maintain it, it's worked out well thus far. My biggest concern when looking at the larger tractors was the weight for my mowing needs.

Attachments

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I've heard nothing but good about the B2650, and remember it's not the size of the tractor it's how you use it.;);)

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I went with the B2650HSDC because of the footprint, no DPF and factory cab. Had 8Ns and wanted something similar but 21st century so the B fit the bill. So far have not been disappointed but have not had a lot of snow to test it. The only issue I could foresee would the need for more power but I am willing to sacrifice that and work around it for what I got. All my implements work but I don't have a snow blower and don't see ever getting one. That seems to be the key for your needs, getting a machine that will handle your add ons efficiently.

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
Grand with a cab. Summers may seem nice till you get a little older, then air conditioning is even nicer. As for mowing, again air conditioner and cabin filter are awesome. Blowing with an open station was never enjoyable. Heat and not looking like the abominable snowman when finished is awesome. I do everything with mine, mow, snow blow, grade driveways and log with a grapple. You would not regret the 4060.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
21, I think a B2650 will do you just fine. It has the mid pro for a front blower and mower, cab option you want, and enough grunt to run a 72" finish mower if you want one that size. I imagine it'll do about everything a big L will, just not as fast, and if you're grappling large downed trees you may need to cut the trunk in shorter sections. Don't worry though I lift pretty big trunk sections with the EA grapple on mine.

I rely on the FEL to move snow off my drive so I went with the large, light duty bucket. Having a snow blower you might go with the regular 54" bucket.

Although I've reduced the areas, and may do so again, I still have a lot to mow so I went with a 72" deck. It works fine but does bang up and down over the rough ground and mowing around trees and stuff really slowed me down. So last Summer I bit the bullet and bought a Zero Turn (Ferris Z2100, 60" deck made right up there in NY).

This really was the way to go as far as mowing and in retrospect I should have put the $3,000 spent on the mower deck toward the $9,000 ZTR, oh well. Anyway you might consider going this way, the 60" ZTR mows a good bit faster than my 2650 even with its 72 deck. Plus mowing with the Ferris is a hoot it's like driving a carnival ride I love it! :D

21 acres

Jan 22, 2018
Dutchess county NY
Wow, thank you all for the valuable advice! Such great insight from all sides.

I am definitely leaning more toward the larger tractor now, the L4060. I Hope I find ways to use all this horsepower. Looks like I will just get a zero turn for the lawn. I would love to be able to make my land better by just attacking different sections all the time. I also want to make trails all throughout. I love snow and wish it would snow more. I would love to be out at like 2am in a blizzard with the heat on in the kubota having a blast. Its too bad there isn't room for my boxer in the cab...big bummer.

I will call around tomorrow to see if I can get a great price on a 4060. Only thing that stinks is I know there is a dealer thirty minutes north with two L4760's with cab on the lot. I have to show restraint and stop at 40 horsepower.

Thanks again to all you fine folks! I will surely have more questions later on.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Prepare to be sitting down when they price out the front snowblower on the L4060... If it's not scary enough, ask them how much for the autoconnect option. My vote is still with the Grand L though.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Prepare to be sitting down when they price out the front snowblower on the L4060... If it's not scary enough, ask them how much for the autoconnect option. My vote is still with the Grand L though.
I'm still crying over that especially with a winter like this but so nice when you need it.

bluelou212

Equipment
BX2670, L3901 TLB
Nov 20, 2017
Callicoon, NY, USA
Wow, thank you all for the valuable advice! Such great insight from all sides.

I am definitely leaning more toward the larger tractor now, the L4060. I Hope I find ways to use all this horsepower. Looks like I will just get a zero turn for the lawn. I would love to be able to make my land better by just attacking different sections all the time. I also want to make trails all throughout. I love snow and wish it would snow more. I would love to be out at like 2am in a blizzard with the heat on in the kubota having a blast. Its too bad there isn't room for my boxer in the cab...big bummer.

I will call around tomorrow to see if I can get a great price on a 4060. Only thing that stinks is I know there is a dealer thirty minutes north with two L4760's with cab on the lot. I have to show restraint and stop at 40 horsepower.

Thanks again to all you fine folks! I will surely have more questions later on.
I plan to improve and cut new trails too. A grapple and hoe will be really helpful for that. Also, might want to look into a pto wood chipper. You're going to have a lot of debris. Might as well grind it up and throw it on the trail.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
If you think the Kub front snow blower is expensive you haven't priced a commercial blower like a Pronovost. My only issue is that Ive only been able to use it once this year.