Borrow Your Tractor?

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
On occasion, I'm asked by friends and family (usually family) if they can borrow my tractor. I'm hesitant to hand over the keys and let them take it. I usually ask what they want done and tell them I'll get to it when possible. To me, it's too much of an investment to hand it over; however, I'm curious if others are asked by friends and family if they can borrow your tractor and how you handle it. Thanks.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
On occasion, I'm asked by friends and family (usually family) if they can borrow my tractor. I'm hesitant to hand over the keys and let them take it. I usually ask what they want done and tell them I'll get to it when possible. To me, it's too much of an investment to hand it over; however, I'm curious if others are asked by friends and family if they can borrow your tractor and how you handle it. Thanks.
Things you NEVER let someone borrow......

Tools
Chainsaw
Tractor
Wife......

not Necessary in that order!:eek::)

Seriously, I would not allow anyone to be operating your machine - YOU do the work, and ONLY you - there will be 10 posts here in the next day telling you what HAPPENED to THEIR tractor when they let someone ELSE use it!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ahhhhh ,,,NO ,,, you need the tractor then I go with it, if you dont me, you don't need my machine.. Kind a like somebody asking you if they can take your best girl to the prom, or ride you HD or chain saw, or take the hotrod for a ride,,, ahhhh no,, just MHO

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
NO.

tractor
trailer
DOG
wife

the answer is the same on the first 3 & wife could be bought.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I’m happy to help my friends and family, but no ones gonna borrow it.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
What skeets said. My tractor and I are a matched set and not separated. If you want one, you get the other. If you want just the tractor, then you can buy it at a premium so I can get another one :D

That being said, the only person that can borrow my tractor is my father in law. And the reason being, is because he gave it to me. But he actually told me a while back that even though he's welcome to borrow it when needed, he won't do it because of the amount of time and money I have into the tractor fixing it up and improvements made to it.

And let's face it, if he has something that needs to be done with the tractor, I'm over there helping out anyway :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My buddy lets me borrow his excavator,so if he needs tractor hes welcome to it.
Other buddy operates heavy heavy equipment and theres no question.
Nobody else.
Nobody.
Nope.
Not gonna.
Um,it’s broken?
Same goes for my car hauler.

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
Only my dad. But hes got one, so no need really. He does help me quite a bit around my house and he always runs mine. If he's willing to help me out, I'm happy to be the labor/shovel guy. (And he's probably a little more patient/precise then me :D:D)

Glad to help friends/family, I'm just coming with it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My basic answer is I'll do it, but won't loan my machine.

I do have a neighbor who is an excellent operator. He was born on a farm, worked there for years. Then worked for the gas service company operation various machines. Retired from that and owns a farm, fixes his stuff, owns MX5100, M9540HSTC.

When I was working on my drain/septic tank problem he stopped by to see what I was doing. He came back by the next morning early to see if I needed any help. I was using the backhoe to reach over and fill in the hole. I told him if he wanted, he could take the tractor (L4240HST) and back fill the other side. He did excellent work and was meticulous about everything. I'd let him use any machine I own!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I let a neighbor/friend borrow my old BX23 once to move some large wood rounds for splitting and the wood splitter with a can full of gas.

All was well until the tractor started sputtering on me while I was doing some work with it the next week. I thought that there was no way it could have run out of fuel since the gauge was reading 3/4 full and the fuel gauge had always worked.

Well, I decided to visually check the fuel in the tank anyway. Spun off the fuel cap and smelled GAS! :mad: So, I asked the neighbor if he had used the gas in the can (was intended for the wood splitter) and he said yes, he thought he was doing right by me and filling the tractor. That was the last time I let anyone borrow my tractor.

Regarding tools...I do lend tools but I sure as hell hate when I have to run to retrieve them when I need them. That's something that really peeve's me.

so...No tractor, or wife lending. Not going to happen.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
No. Nope. Never.
I don't borrow their expensive stuff, and I don't loan mine out. While I understand the trust and benevolence, I believe that loaning something expensive, like a tractor, is setting up a difficult, relationship-ruining situation.
So, I will offer to do it for them, if it's reasonable and I have time.
My philosophy- if it's worth borrowing, it's worth buying. In other words, if I need it enough to consider borrowing, I should buy (or rent) one.
I don't borrow from others, and I don't loan expensive equipment.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
There are very few people that I trust enough to use my equipment. Those are the same people that I actually trust with my Harley. Maybe not coincidentally, those are the same people that I served with in the Army.

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
Depends on who’s asking, but yeah, I’ll loan close friends and family anything I own. I won’t let anyone else do maintenance or fix my stuff if at all possible unless I’m involved.

DocHolladay

Equipment
MX5200, FEL
Oct 19, 2015
Murfreesboro, TN
My brother and his son(my nephew). The only reason they can use it is because my brother has owned tractors for over 30 years and currently owns a 100hp New Holland and my nephew has driven those tractors most of his whole life. Plus, he has bought a few attachments for my tractor because he uses it so much on his cattle lease(fits where his tractor doesn't).

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Depends.
Some will loan me anything they have and they know they will get it back in better condition that it was when I borrowed it. So I reciprocate.
Then there are those people that would trash it and complain that it broke and they'd even admit they were the ones to break it. I've learned to identify them before the question even comes up. I also make a point never to borrow from them so I never 'owe them'.
I am always more than willing to lend a hand and often do not have to loan the equipment but will also come and do the work as well. I enjoy it, most of the time.
If someone lends me something to do a big job or helps me for more than a few minutes, I always thank them with a nice bottle or some home made treats and in a few cases a large amount of cash (still way less than it would of cost to have someone come with the equipment and do it for me).

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Haven't had people ask, but my response would be tractors are simply too dangerous in operation to loan out to someone without experience and familarity in their operation.

This is especially true with my old Ford tractor in that it has some idiosyncracies that could be deadly.. And the newer Kubota BX with it's FEL and narrow track would be very easy to roll over.

Another reason a fellow in my area Kubota owner with a backhoe has used is his "insurance" doesn't cover the operation of the tractor off of his own property.

I would counter if it was someone I would otherwise help, to offer my tractor and ME to do whatever needs to be done.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I have one neighbor who offers his equipment to me to use, he is a masonry contractor, but I usually thank him but turn it down as I don't want to borrow something and have it break and I would feel bad and responsible. Another neighbor, just days after I got my new L3560HSTC, asked me to borrow my tractor to skid out some logs from the back woods of his property because he broke his tractor and just finished fixing it and didn't want to break it again because he needed it to plow snow. He said "You can say no if you want." So I did, "NO." Found out later from another neighbor that he had borrowed his tractor a few yrs ago and rolled it and didn't even help that neighbor get it upright, let alone return it. That neighbor had to upright it and bring it back home and fix it. He said never again. So, the answer is as most, NO, I'll come with it or forget it.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
I don't like to borrow something we can't afford to replace nor loan that which we can't afford to give away!