Loader question

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have a problem with rental customers raising loaders to high and dumping debris on the hoods of my tractors. Is there a logical way to limit how high the loader will raise. I would like to limit it to about 6.5 feet. I doubt there is a way but I'm interested enough to ask. The machines are L-45 and L4600.

Thanks in advance
Mike

nick2010tundra

Equipment
BX25
Jul 18, 2015
Saint John, NB
My Rental yard near me installed spill guards on the bx 25 buckets, basically just made a mesh guard on top of bucket. They got tired of replacing dashes

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Mike - - You're much more experienced than I am.....I have no idea if possible, but could you figure out a way to connect check-chains (or cables) to limit lift height?

Would need both sides, to avoid racking the lift arms.....

Only other thing I can think is shorter-throw cylinders, and that'd be kinda pricey....but if they're doing $1,000 worth of damage each time on an L..... of course, if they really f#@ked up, couple be $1,000 many times over....

Just a couple thoughts......

Last edited:

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello Mike
I work on a lot of grape harvesters. We have cylinders the have pipe spacers in side on the rod to limit the stroke. This is done we the stroke needs to be something odd .Don't you love those rental customers. The other option is to cover the hood with 1/2" steel plate (LOL).
Good luck Lance

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
I would think that you could take the cylinders apart and put a spacer inside. It's not exactly quick or easy.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

kenmac

Equipment
B26 with hyd. thumb and 4 in 1 loader bucket and EA Grapple, but not the wicked
Dec 14, 2015
Pell City, Al.
My B26 came with a bucket leveling device that prevents bucket from tilting back too far. It is adjustable. Check with your dealer, but I would think if it's available for a B26, it certainly should be available for an L45.
The higher you lift, it automatically keeps the bucket level.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Bump stops and limiters...rubber or steel. Should be easy to rig up without too much modifications. I recently modified the tilt cylinder stop to shorten the throw by an 1/8" or so...kept blowing the tilt cylinder.

-Mac

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Auto bucket leveling is available for L45. Not sure on the L4600.

Wouldn't be real hard to rig up a mechanical linkage to the loader valve, a self-leveling device. Look at an old B20 or B21 for an example (TL420/TL421 respectively). It would take some rods and some ingenuity, but doable.

This is an issue I see often too. One operator last year nearly killed himself, using a BX to lift a round bale and it rolled off the bucket and onto the operator.

You'd think that (un)common sense would prevail; but the older I get the less I see anything common about it.

And yeah I hear stuff all the time. "Shoulda come with X device to keep it from happening". What happened back in the old days of the old Ford N tractors? Not a safety device one, open fenders, etc. Stupidity fixed itself in those days.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is there a logical way to limit how high the loader will raise. I would like to limit it to about 6.5 feet.
Yep real simple, like others have noted, it's a heavy walled piece of pipe installed over the rod inside the cylinder and it will limit lift. ;)

Can't you just document the condition of the tractor before and after and bill their cc?
All that does is get them to pay for damage, it doesn't pay for the rental time that the machines is down! Huge income loss!

Last edited:

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Auto bucket leveling is available for L45. Not sure on the L4600.

Wouldn't be real hard to rig up a mechanical linkage to the loader valve, a self-leveling device. Look at an old B20 or B21 for an example (TL420/TL421 respectively). It would take some rods and some ingenuity, but doable.

This is an issue I see often too. One operator last year nearly killed himself, using a BX to lift a round bale and it rolled off the bucket and onto the operator.

You'd think that (un)common sense would prevail; but the older I get the less I see anything common about it.

And yeah I hear stuff all the time. "Shoulda come with X device to keep it from happening". What happened back in the old days of the old Ford N tractors? Not a safety device one, open fenders, etc. Stupidity fixed itself in those days.
Yep real simple, like others have noted, it's a heavy walled piece of pipe installed over the rod inside the cylinder and it will limit lift. ;)

All that does is get them to pay for damage, it doesn't pay for the rental time that the machines is down! Huge income loss!

The problem with charging these people for such damage is that's when you come to the "blood- rock" thing. It's easy to charge but only one out of ten have the money and only one out of a hundred are willing to accept responsibility and pay. Meanwhile my machines and parts bill look like crap.

From all the replies, it looks like a spacer is the best solution. Now, I need to establish bore and length for the spacer. One concern is, will a spacer in any way conflict with the hydraulics?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Here is an example of what Wolfman is talking about. The reason it is discolored is because I machined it slightly smaller and then sweated it on the shaft so it wouldn't move.

Attachments

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Thanks. that picture answers a multitude of questions. I'm assuming that the length of the spacer and the reduction in in lift are equal. Thanks for the info.

Mike.

boz1989

Equipment
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
Thanks. that picture answers a multitude of questions. I'm assuming that the length of the spacer and the reduction in in lift are equal. Thanks for the info.

Mike.
That would depend on the geometry. Personally I would raise the loader to its max height, measure the ram, then lower to the height you want, measure again and make your spacer the length of the difference.

boz1989

Equipment
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
I would also put the spacers in both sides, or some clown would probably twist the loader frame trying.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would also put the spacers in both sides, or some clown would probably twist the loader frame trying.

Yes agree the same spacers are required in both sides! ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ok, quick question that I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around.

How is a spacer on the shaft gonna keep it from being extended all the way?? :confused:

I could see it preventing it from being lowered all the way.

Nevermind, I missed the post about the spacer being installed inside the cylinder

Last edited:

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
ok, quick question that i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around.

How is a spacer on the shaft gonna keep it from being extended all the way?? :confused:

I could see it preventing it from being lowered all the way.

Nevermind, i missed the post about the spacer being installed inside the cylinder
asked and answered!