M9540 Glow Plug operation

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
I recently purchased a used 2007 M9540 from a John Deere dealer and have not received the Operators manual yet. The tractor was originally purchased in Canada. I am not familiar with diesel engines. I have tried a few different ignition positions and get no indication that the glow plugs are activated. I have called a couple of the local Kubota dealers with no satisfactory answers. I have successfully started the tractor at temperatures down to about 6 degrees F after plugging in the tank heater for about an hour. What is the correct sequence for cold weather starting of the 2007 Kubota M9540 tractor?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
From what I gather, the glow plugs are automatic on the bigger tractors. There have been posts about it on other sites.

Mine is a M7040 but there is no glow plug indication and it starts right up - first time every time. But I don't live in MN-type weather.

The BX2200, L48, and L3650 require some wait time while the glow plug light is on to get a quick start.

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
It is my understanding the the larget Kubota tractors do not have glow plugs. (Other makes and models are probably similar) Just give it a little throttle and turn the key. I have read the explanation on how these tractors start without glow plugs, but I can't say I understand it. Maybe a diesel mechanic familiar with this will chime in here and explain what system is used to start these engines in sub zero weather.

osut362

Equipment
M9000dtc, b7500hs
Mar 15, 2009
Lindale, Texas
9000's have glow plugs. when you turn the key from the on position to engage the starter you can hear the glow plug relay click. i pause at this position for about 3 or 4 seconds and then go to the start position. motor starts instantly. but, i have to admit it doesn't get all that cold in east texas.....al

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
It may well be the 9540 doesn't have a dash panel indicator, my 7040 does, but ya gotta be quick as it only stays on for 2, 3 seconds in the coldest this winter. It won't come on at all till the ambient is below freezing (aprox) If yours is like mine indicator is on the left side of the instrument display and kinda looks like a sideways coil.

Ron

KC.RAIDER

Equipment
M9540
May 22, 2017
Arkansas
I have a 2007 9540 (not a cab tractor) but it does have a glow plug indicator light on the dash. Not sure if this helps. As one poster also stated, you should be able to hear the really even if you don't have a dash indicator. If all else fails turn the key and wait several seconds before starting the tractor.

JMS

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
I have since discovered that the glow plug(actually an air intake grid heater) indicator does light. I had always plugged in the tank heater whenever it got much below freezing and the water temp sensor evidently was warm enough to not turn on the indicator and heater. I tried starting the tractor without using the tank heater when the temperature was about 10°F and the indicator lit for a few seconds and then went out - the tractor started like it was summer.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have since discovered that the glow plug(actually an air intake grid heater) indicator does light. I had always plugged in the tank heater whenever it got much below freezing and the water temp sensor evidently was warm enough to not turn on the indicator and heater. I tried starting the tractor without using the tank heater when the temperature was about 10°F and the indicator lit for a few seconds and then went out - the tractor started like it was summer.
Yes you are right it's a heated intake grid, no glow plugs on that model, and yes it is controlled by the computer to only work when the engine is cold enough to need it. ;)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Sent you a PM with info

Dave