2017 B2601- snow chains

BJD17

Equipment
B2601, LR 1672
Nov 28, 2017
Naples
Hi All-

Newbie here...Tractor has about 3 hours on it :) & Im getting ready for winter and am getting ready to purchase snow chains. Tru Grip 225's for my B2601 rear tires. Just wondering if anyone out there has had to use spacers on their B2601 to fit chains on it? its a close fit but without the chains its hard to tell if they will rub. Just wondering what others with this particular tractor have done.

Also, has anyone put chains on the front of their B2601 also? One dealer said its ok and the other said put no chains on the front??

Thanks for any advice!

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
If you do a search back through some past threads you will find a lot of opinions on chaining the front, just like the dealers differed.
I am going to order rubber chains for my B2650HSDC from this company:

http://www.rubbertirechains.com/

I had a discussion with another forum member that has used them for several years on his L so I am going to give them a try. I didn't think about the clearance issue until I started researching and these may resolve that issue.

BJD17

Equipment
B2601, LR 1672
Nov 28, 2017
Naples
Thnx! Ill check out the chain site. Ive searched the forum a bit for others w/ B2601. Ill do somemore digging and see what comes up. I may just buy the chains...see how they fit and if I need the spacer kit, Ill buy it then. But maybe Ill check out the spacing first....then go from there.

BJD17

Equipment
B2601, LR 1672
Nov 28, 2017
Naples
Re: UPDATE: 2017 B2601- snow chains

So, I ended up buying the rear chains recommended by 3 different dealers & needed to purchase the space kit for my tractor. After a painful 2 weeks with the dealer with missing parts etc., we finally got the spacer kit put on today. Tried the chains on and they are too big.....way too loose. Removing a section isnt an option either.....Each dealer recommended the same type chain- all were within $15-$75 difference in price. After a total month of trying to get these on the tractor before the snow/ice came, Im so frustrated. The chains are Tru Grip 225’s. The tire size 12-16.5. The chains are going to need to go back to the dealer tomorrow. Has ANYONE else run into this and had a fix for it?? Thanks & Open to any advice!

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Curious as to why your using chains. Running turfs on the same tractor and so far its been great in the snow. Only thing I did was fill the rears. Was all set to either do chains or switch to R4's but everyone said give them a try.

BJD17

Equipment
B2601, LR 1672
Nov 28, 2017
Naples
I have a driveway close to 1,000 long feet on an uphill grade with about 400 feet of it going thru a field. Ice in the winter can be a bear to deal with....chains overall will help when that happens....I have R4’s loaded but slippage on the ice is not a matter of “if” its just a matter of “when”. :).

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
BJD - didn’t see this until now. My chains are ample also, and need to be real tight to avoid damage.

First, you should be able to grab/shorten a couple links after you drive them a little. They will loosen a little.

I’ve got a low-tech way with chains on my BX. Bought 20 or so online, since couldn’t find short ones locally.
You should be able to find a proper length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BaddeckFire

Equipment
Front 72" blower, loader, box blade, wood splitter, tandem dump trailer, bushhog
Jan 23, 2018
Nova Scotia, Canada
I also deal with a steep driveway and we see a great deal of ice build up. I currently have rear chains on my L4330
Which makes a great difference. I also wanted to invest in a set for my front tires. One dealer quickly quoted me a price while another dealer told me no way, you will tear apart the front end in no time. How can there be such a difference in oppinion? I am holding off for now.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Seems like there is a lot of controversy about chaining the front as you found out. I guess there is no definitive answer and depends on the situation, I have even seen the same people with opposing points at different times.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I think it depends on who what where and when. I have chains on the front only on my B2650 with a front mounted snowblower. It replaced an old Ingersoll with a front blower. There were plenty of times in my yard when the Ingersoll would not steer. There is also a spot on my drive where the guy that used to plow it with a 4wd truck would lose both steering and ability to back up, and then slid forward off a bank. Fortunately he could plow his way out of the spot where he landed. The same maneuver would likely roll a tractor. Very experienced operators can keep themselves out of trouble, but I decided that wasn't me with a new tractor. I hate learning things the hard way. If you aren't running on the road with chains, and not plowing every day, the wear is probably not significant, and worth it if safety is an issue.

Another trick to get a tight fit of chains is deflate tire a bit, put chains on, then reinflate to specs.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Definitely need some form of tighteners. People use all kinds from the spring type the other poster showed, rubber bungees as in the picture and ratchet straps.
I have learned that it works better if the tensioning system pulls towards the center of the wheel and not across it.

Also I found the rubber straps tended to loose strength when wet.

The center ring was from TSC as were the springs.

Dave

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Dave, I agree. I cannot find a heavy duty spring tightener, have a light duty that I use on ATV. I was thinking of getting some heavy duty trampoline springs and make my own, you can get 15 for under $20.

On the front chaining discussion: How about chaining the front and not using 4wd unless you absolutely need it? That could make the steering more positive and keep the front from sliding on inclines and make for a straighter line of travel. Anybody ever done this or thought about it?

pak

Dec 30, 2016
NE, Wa.
I have chains on the front only of my B2601 with a B2782B front mounted blower. I keep them tight. Any hardwear store will have a large selection of springs of many lengths and diameter. Without the chains directional control would be very poor.

Last edited:

BaddeckFire

Equipment
Front 72" blower, loader, box blade, wood splitter, tandem dump trailer, bushhog
Jan 23, 2018
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thank you everyone for the input. I see chains on the front end on pavement or commercial usage being an issue but i only do my own gravel driveway and for a few trips a year i cant see it doing much damage. I may go with a set of Trygg ice chains on the front end for those icey days. If i wasnt on a steep grade rear chains alone would be fine.

Attachments