Mystery tool...

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
This was in the bottom of a box of "garage stuff" (hand tools, misc hardware, extension cords, etc.) that I bought at an estate sale years ago. I have never been able to figure out it's intended use. It would appear to be some sort of puller/picker (similar to IC pullers) but it is so lightly sprung, I can't picture it "pulling" anything. One model train guy guessed it was for pulling the nails that hold down tiny train tracks, but it won't do that either.
When you push the knurled knob at the top, it snaps to the open position, and when you touch the end of the mushroom pin, it snaps shut. It has a very faint stamp on the aluminum barrel that appears to read "K & C".
Any guesses?

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Small gear puller. Maybe for clock tinkering?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My first thought was a small gear puller, but the springs aren't strong enough, the jaws would just slip off. I then thought maybe to place a small gear/wheel & press it onto a shaft, but the mushroom pin is also spring loaded. Weird tool.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I thought the initials sounded familiar and tried searching, didn't find a company I recognized, but there is a German company KC that makes specialized tools that kind of looked like yours, so maybe you could run it past them.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I thought the initials sounded familiar and tried searching, didn't find a company I recognized, but there is a German company KC that makes specialized tools that kind of looked like yours, so maybe you could run it past them.
With these clues, I searched for "K & C Germany" and found a question about a "K & C" trademark on an antique clock. (Kappel & Co.) I then searched for "Antique Clock Making Tools" and found these pics on E-bay.
Thanks guys, I figured someone would put me on the right track.:D

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
It will probably end up as a claw hand/arm on a robot build some day.
Can't imagine what else I'd use it for... maybe a tool to pick up Good & Plenty candies.:D

MaleHoe

Equipment
Kubota B2620 TLB, JD X495
Jun 23, 2016
Latrobe PA
It's a puller for watch hands. I repair clocks and watches when I'm not repairing tractors.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
It's a puller for watch hands. I repair clocks and watches when I'm not repairing tractors.
Thanks, that makes sense- not strong enough to pull gear/wheels, but it would work great for watch/clock hands. You have helped me accomplish my goal to learn at least one new fact every day.:D

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Old thread, but perfect place for this different twist on the crescent wrench. Picked one up at an estate sale, obviously unused, never seen one before.
And yes, I'm addicted to tools.:eek:

Attachments

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Neat stuff. I inherited my father's tools when he passed. He was a machinist by trade and a master mechanic by need. I very rarely recall him buying a part to fix anything. We'd head to the shop and build what we needed. He has been gone almost 5 yrs and I'm still pulling out tools looking at them and wondering what the heck this darn thing is used for. Get rid of them? Probably never. They are too cool to play with and picking them up makes me feel like a kid again.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Old thread, but perfect place for this different twist on the crescent wrench. Picked one up at an estate sale, obviously unused, never seen one before.
I picked one of those up a few years ago, more because I thought it was neat than for a need. I have used it a few times and it is not bad but mostly just go with a standard adjustable wrench.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
this different twist on the crescent wrench.
'Foot - by the looks of it's design, I'd guess that has a little age on it?

Maybe 50's-60's?

As an auctioneer friend says - - - Kinda neat & kinda nice, and your neighbor won't have one!!:p

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
You got me curious as to age, a quick search turned up this patent app drawing.
Way older than I thought, and mine is flawless, don't think it's ever been used.

Attachments

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
One of the first tools I ever purchased before I bought a full set of ring/open end spanners in imperial and metric when an apprentice. Haven't seen it for a long time, but it's hiding away in a bucket or drawer somewhere I think!

Last edited: