homemade fork/recvr QA set up

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Just a quick run thru of something i made for the QA on my FEL...

looked at a lot of set ups here & other places before doing this on the fly.

& special thanks to TORCH for giving me some ideas to work with & that it doesnt have to be store bought to be good!

so lets get started:

1st: its just a basic naked plate from TITAN in 3/8" thick all over. figured if it was thicker than any part of the tractor i probably wasnt gonna hurt it. Laid out where i wanted my forks to go (3 positions is what ive got with this set up)

2nd: used my light weight TITAN forks that used to clamp on the bucket. re using old parts. cutting the back of these off took some time & several Metabo wheels.. but it works fine.

3rd: mounting was a bit of thought & i finally decided to weld on some 1" nuts. They are plenty strong & got about $1.50 in them. picked my height so that the forks can set flat on the ground & still have about 1" of my plate off the ground.

4th: im not a pro welder. my stuff is ugly, but it never comes loose. so it is what it is on the "gobstopper" look of them, but it was plenty hot & you could see the penetration/heat thru the 3/8" plate. & hey if one ever comes loose? this is easy to fix.

5th: had a 2" receiver stub laying around cut it off with just a little clearance from the forks & welded it with a support stub under it. figured that if it had good penetration to the plate & then an under mount that had good pen... it wasnt going to be an issue for me to move my empty trailer around.

then its just clean up & paint. here you have it!

If anyone has any questions lay it on me.

If you are a naysayer who just wants to complain? click on out of the thread. :D

Attachments

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
oh & the on the floor pic..

Attachments

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I especially love picture #3: It looks like a badass SWAT team vehicle! ;)

Good job, I'm sure it will work out well for you.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I like it! It may also have some other uses with a little imagination. Maybe to mount a snow blade? I would bet there are a lot of possible uses for that setup.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
Looks good, but now you are making me question my design...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
thanks guys!

just wanted to share that sometimes simple can still be good!

BOZ: no need to question your design. theres no wrong way to eat a resse's!!

army lifer: YES i actually did make sure to have enough space to be able to use the snowsports snowblade set up. how did you know?

Fastdonzi

Equipment
New Grand L3560
Dec 4, 2015
East Tn
I bought a Blank Titan plate as well, Then welded the Carraige from a Forlift we were scrapping. I have 36" and 48" Forks for it. I'll have to get Pics, the only $$ I have in it is the Titan Plate. I'll tell you that you Can NOT See the forks on a Tractor like you can on a Fork Lift, I had them Down and Pointed down farther than I thought and Made two 4" wide 20' long perfect Trenches is the Yard before I'd realized it LOL Forks sure are Handy and can haul a Much larger pile of Brush than a Bucked ever could :)

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
... I'll tell you that you Can NOT See the forks on a Tractor like you can on a Fork Lift, I had them Down and Pointed down farther than I thought and Made two 4" wide 20' long perfect Trenches is the Yard before I'd realized it LOL ...
Ahhh.. sounds like projects like this call for a bucket/fork tip gauge....

Like one of these

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Ahhh.. sounds like projects like this call for a bucket/fork tip gauge....

YES i did put that on my level gauge.... if your looking at the picture head on its on the left... already had it marked for my bucket...

& as mentioned its a lot different mark for my forks/hitch.

Koopster

Equipment
2015 BX 25D
Jun 9, 2015
Heart's Content
That is a very sweet setup you have there! I picked up a couple forks from a small electric fork lift a guy was scrapping. I have a quick attach on the from of my BX, and I think I am going to go with a plate and the mounting you have for the forks, because I am positive I only need one or two positions for the forks.
Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
same pins.

you just put them in from the "inside" position instead of the "outside" one.

if you want the middle position? it turns out to be just enough room to wiggle them in from either direction.

if you had some really long grade #8 bolts or pins? you could catch all 3 at one time.

but im a poor boy & just used the pins they had at rural king/tractor supply.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
thanks guys.

just went with what the guys here have showed me & tried to keep it really simple & cheap for those of us who dont need lots of adjustment or positions.

"wide" for me is for logs & stuff

"middle" for me is standard pallets

"narrow" for me is the small pallets & my wifes fruit picking position.

wife just hops on the pallet( & YES she does put a safety belt on to the bucket) then i can put her right up to the top area of our fruit trees for picking.

she also uses this for cleaning the windows on the higher side of the house.

for me the trailer hitch is more important for moving my trailer around without having to drive all over the yard, which makes her mad.

now i just drop it & then spin it in the driveway with the tractor which turns way better than my crew cab long bed truck.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
got PM'd a question on how i picked my "nuts" for the pin holder..

:D

i grabbed those pins at tractor supply then stopped by the nuts/bolt bins & wetn over to the grade 8's & said: YEP the thru hole is big enough... grabbed a dozen & went from there.

that gives you a perfectly flat/square surface to weld to your perfectly flat plate & they have a little bevel already made into the edges so you can get a great weld even if you are just a puddle jumper like me.