L245 part number help

dr phil

Mar 4, 2009
Surrey b.c.
This should maybe moved to a new subject.
I have a l245dt -- The parts manual does not show a oil seal above the upper bearing -- just below the weep hole but mine has one. What would the part number be?
Thanks

dr phil

Mar 4, 2009
Surrey b.c.
I rebuilt the steering box and got it all back together.
9 hours of operating later and the steering has become very very hard especially when turning to the right.
Any ideas what I may have done wrong?
Thanks in advance.
Phil

dr phil

Mar 4, 2009
Surrey b.c.
Yep! I can think of a few things that could attribute to that issue when overhauling that box.

1) The ball nut on the steering shaft was not installed equidistant to the sector shaft gearing. If you are "off mesh" one gear, you will have more or less turning circle in one direction as the ball nut runs out of "travel" and contacts the underside of the steering column.

>> I am pretty sure I got that one right.

2) There is no end play on the sector shaft end, where the adjustable tension nut is. Back it off a 1/2 turn and see if it improves the steering feel and response.

>> Would not this have showed up right away -- steering was pretty good initially. Steering wheel pre-travel has become very large after the first few hours since repair.

3) The pitman arm and the end of the steering shaft are marked with a "scribed" line, as in the picture I've attached. They need to be lined up when you re-install the pitman arm. This "times" the box in relation to the pitman arm, so when the ball nut is centered, the pitman arm is also sitting in the middle of it's range of travel.

>>will have to check that one

4) And only I'm only adding #4 to this list, because I've been there and done that! The lower radial bearing fell out of place/off the end of the steering shaft during installation, and when you tightened down the 4 bolts holding the steering tube to the box, you crushed that bearing.

>>Possible -- but would that also have shown up right away?

Thanks again

dr phil

Mar 4, 2009
Surrey b.c.
Yep! I can think of a few things that could attribute to that issue when overhauling that box.

2) There is no end play on the sector shaft end, where the adjustable tension nut is. Back it off a 1/2 turn and see if it improves the steering feel and response.

>> Would not this have showed up right away -- steering was pretty good initially. Steering wheel pre-travel has become very large after the first few hours since repair.

>>>> Just checked -- the steering wheel turns almost 3/4 of a full turn before any pitman arm movement right to left and left to right. And lots of creaking noise once the steering shaft starts turning.

3) The pitman arm and the end of the steering shaft are marked with a "scribed" line, as in the picture I've attached. They need to be lined up when you re-install the pitman arm. This "times" the box in relation to the pitman arm, so when the ball nut is centered, the pitman arm is also sitting in the middle of it's range of travel.

>>will have to check that one

>>> just checked -- off by 1/4 turn 90 degrees but that does not explain all the issues

Thanks

dr phil

Mar 4, 2009
Surrey b.c.
Took it apart.
There bearings I replaced are fine but some of the ball bearings from inside the ball nut are at the bottom of the housing.
I will call you tomorrow morning and talk it over and order parts.
Thanks, Phil

dr phil

Mar 4, 2009
Surrey b.c.
I am expecting my parts to arrive tomorrow.
One question before I start to rebuild---

Quote:

When put together properly, and the ball nut is centered and the front wheels are straight, where should the scribed line be? 9:00 o'clock? 12:00 o'clock?
Just trying to make this as easy as possible.

Thanks
Phil

Sizzel

Equipment
L225
Aug 23, 2009
Texas
Sure would like to see the additional info on how to do the steering box correctly. I just bought an L225 and have the steering box disassembled, am pricing the parts and am also wondering how to get those bearing races out of the bottom of the housing and steering shaft.