Lighting-up the dash?

J.Schiefelbein

Equipment
B1700HST
Jul 28, 2015
Kranzburg, South Dakota, USA
I am new and this is my first post. I have been looking for a while now and have not found this topic come up.

I have a '97 kubota B1700 tractor. currently the instrument panel in not lit. is there a kit or mod or replacement part that will light the dash without having to duct tape a flashlight to it (Current Temporary solution)?:confused:

Thanks,

J. Sciefelbein

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
Why can't you just replace the blubs, or weren't they ever wired to be illuminated? Should be able to get behind (sometimes a real pita) but can be done.

Ron

J.Schiefelbein

Equipment
B1700HST
Jul 28, 2015
Why can't you just replace the blubs, or weren't they ever wired to be illuminated? Should be able to get behind (sometimes a real pita) but can be done.

Ron

The trouble I have as I had the same idea the the face plate is metal. so from the back is a no go unless there is a kit to swap the face plate with something that can be backlit. But I can't seem to find anything like that out there. my other "idea" is to use little LEDs drill a couple of holes in the black frame to mount them. holding out some hope for the first option but that may be wishful thinking.

Jason

Link to LEDs
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009YCU0E6...UTF8&colid=GHEZIIBP6SMN&coliid=I1NCT3WOGWD4A6

I think I attached a pict of where I plan on drilling for plan B.

Attachments

J.Schiefelbein

Equipment
B1700HST
Jul 28, 2015
OK, here is what I ultimately did.

I got there little licence led posts that screw through the holes in the plates and shine down on the plate.

Then I dis-assembled my dash to get to the frame marked out two spots and drilled a hole through each.

Installed the lights into the holes I just drilled with the slot for the light facing the gage clusters.

Wired it in to the headlight switch.

And a pic showing the install and one showing them in action.

Attachments

Black Dog Chainsaw

Aug 19, 2015
Indianola IA
Ok so not to be the retard that shows up to late but why not put them in as back lighting behind the gauge plates? IE: screw them into the white plastic on the back of the gauge so it illuminates the back of the gauge for more even and less blinding illumination?

J.Schiefelbein

Equipment
B1700HST
Jul 28, 2015
In response the back plate for the gauges is made of metal. No back lit option available. I looked to see if I could find a translucent plate to swap no luck so I went this way instead.

Note I wanted to back light. preferred it even just didn't work out for me.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Aug 19, 2015
Indianola IA
10-4. I just remember replacing bulbs in the back of car dash panels and they are back lit so that's why I asked. I don't really like the illumination on my L2900 dash but it works so I won't mess with it for now.

I am going to call my local alternator shop and see if they have a way to boost the amp output of the Denso alternator that most of us have on our kubotas. Would be nice to get a little more output for running accessory stuff.