Bx1800 hst mysterious problem

7fayette

Equipment
bx1800
Apr 27, 2017
memphis
My Bx1800 has a weird problem the dealer has put 50 hours of wrenching time into it and has no idea what is wrong. When the pto is off the tractor does not have any hydrostatic pressure causing the hst to make a grinding sound in forward and reverse. It does not matter if it is in high or low. When this happens the tractor has no power and hardly moves, but if you turn on the pto it runs just fine. Dealer has been scratching their heads over this one. Dealer says the pump has a little wear on it, but nothing critical. Thinks it might be the clutch pack. Any ideas?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
My Bx1800 has a weird problem the dealer has put 50 hours of wrenching time into it and has no idea what is wrong. When the pto is off the tractor does not have any hydrostatic pressure causing the hst to make a grinding sound in forward and reverse. It does not matter if it is in high or low. When this happens the tractor has no power and hardly moves, but if you turn on the pto it runs just fine. Dealer has been scratching their heads over this one. Dealer says the pump has a little wear on it, but nothing critical. Thinks it might be the clutch pack. Any ideas?
The problem has to be in the PTO shift valve. the function of it is to block the oil returning from the steering and force it to go to the HST as charge pressure (controlled by the PTO pressure relief valve) OR, when you engage the PTO the valve gets turned so the ports in it align and the oil then goes to the PTO clutch. If there was anything wrong with the PTO clutch it would be releasing the oil when engaged. There is a snap ring on both sides of the PTO valve to hold it in place, I wonder if one of them has come out of place allowing the valve to shift end-wise?

7fayette

Equipment
bx1800
Apr 27, 2017
memphis
The problem has to be in the PTO shift valve. the function of it is to block the oil returning from the steering and force it to go to the HST as charge pressure (controlled by the PTO pressure relief valve) OR, when you engage the PTO the valve gets turned so the ports in it align and the oil then goes to the PTO clutch. If there was anything wrong with the PTO clutch it would be releasing the oil when engaged. There is a snap ring on both sides of the PTO valve to hold it in place, I wonder if one of them has come out of place allowing the valve to shift end-wise?
Thank you for your response! is this the correct valve and schematic you are referring to?

Attachments

7fayette

Equipment
bx1800
Apr 27, 2017
memphis
What BX model series tractors have interchangeable HST and rear differentials with the BX1800? trying to find a salvage transmission

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What BX model series tractors have interchangeable HST and rear differentials with the BX1800? trying to find a salvage transmission
BX2200 has the same HST unit.

Old # K2561-14000
New # K2561-14002

Why are you jumping on replacing the HST?
Eserv has a lot of experience with these and if he says it's the PTO valve or clutch I would investigate that further.

Last edited:

Mark15

Equipment
Kubota B20
Feb 17, 2017
Ohio
Why are you jumping on replacing the HST?
Eserv has a lot of experience with these and if he says it's the PTO valve or clutch I would investigate that further.
My guess is because it's already out, and shows some wear. If you can get a better condition one for cheap, it's the same labor as installing the existing. Just a guess though!

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Is there any chance someone has had that valve out and reinstalled it half a turn out? I don't remember if this is possible or not but it's an idea! The valve is designed to dump the oil from the PTO when it is disengaged so the porting would likely dump the charge pressure if the valve was turned 180 degrees.

7fayette

Equipment
bx1800
Apr 27, 2017
memphis
Is there any chance someone has had that valve out and reinstalled it half a turn out? I don't remember if this is possible or not but it's an idea! The valve is designed to dump the oil from the PTO when it is disengaged so the porting would likely dump the charge pressure if the valve was turned 180 degrees.
The dealer had it right at a month. Had all the mechanics in the shop work on it at one point or another. They had right at $3,500 in labor in the tractor (did not pay that). They said they took the pto valve out and rotated it and did all the other pressure tests on it and the pressure when the pto was on was mediocre but not to the WSM specs. With the pto off no pressure was being made. Dealer even had the regional service rep look at it to no avail thought it was the pto valve as well. I picked it up in parts because I got tired of the service experience (lack of communication etc... . When I picked up the tractor the mechanics had blocked off ports to raise pressure and re routed some lines (I don't know exactly what all they did or why). The mechanics told me this tractor had whooped them. I bought the tractor for $1,800 thought it would be something simple to fix since it ran fine with the pto on. Since then it has turned into a headache. The previous owner had a shade tree mechanic in this transmission and something got screwed up. Ive had a fair amount of time wrenching under my belt and as I sat in the shop today with parts scattered out I came to the conclusion that too many people besides myself had had their hands into this transmission especially when I saw 4 balls from a bearing and a spring from a check valve or relief sitting in the box of bolts, nuts, etc. the dealer gave me. I have no way of knowing exactly what all they did while they were in the transmission nor can I assure its reliability with that knowledge. Easiest thing for me to do is find a salvage tractor with a complete rear end from the HST fan back plug and play. If I cant do that then the motor has 668.2 hrs, brand new deck, brand new tires, and other miscellaneous parts that can be parted off. I know someone will say "I wouldn't have picked that tractor up disassembled" look the dealer lost their butt on this one and them putting it back together would have been an easy excuse to recoup some of their money. Since I walked in with the plan of finding a salvage rear end it saved me the trouble.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Might give these folks a call to see what they have for parts.

http://wkytpstore.com/

If they don't have what you need and you can't find the parts elsewhere, ask them what the value of your tractor is to them. They buy and pick up as needed.

7fayette

Equipment
bx1800
Apr 27, 2017
memphis
Might give these folks a call to see what they have for parts.

http://wkytpstore.com/

If they don't have what you need and you can't find the parts elsewhere, ask them what the value of your tractor is to them. They buy and pick up as needed.
Called all the salvage yards this morning none have what I need. They say this is a fairly common problem. To spend $1700 on a new hst is out of the question because these tractors sell for 5k-4,500 running.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Called all the salvage yards this morning none have what I need. They say this is a fairly common problem. To spend $1700 on a new hst is out of the question because these tractors sell for 5k-4,500 running.
Running, but not with a new transmission. If you paid $1800, and put $1700 in the transmission, you'd still be ahead- you'd have a tractor at market price, with a brand new rear end.

7fayette

Equipment
bx1800
Apr 27, 2017
memphis
After spending 10hrs in the shop and taking a crash course in HST engineering. I got the tractor working properly. Thank you "eserv" your knowledge it was very helpful in narrowing down the problem.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
After spending 10hrs in the shop and taking a crash course in HST engineering. I got the tractor working properly. Thank you "eserv" your knowledge it was very helpful in narrowing down the problem.
Glad anyone in here was able to help in some indirect way.

Please do let us know what you found that seemed wrong and what you did to Fix that issue. That way you can help others as well.