Recommend me a new grease gun

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I've got a crappy cheapo grease gun that I'd like to replace with something better, as I sometimes have a hard time getting this one to prime with a new cartridge. I don't need anything pneumatic or electric--a simple hand pump is fine as I'll only use it for my FEL, mower deck, and chipper/shredder. I started researching the one name brand I know, Lincoln, and in so doing learned that Alemite is also respected. But it sounds like both have inconsistent quality in their foreign made cheaper models. I was at Lowe's today and they only sold an STP brand that didn't inspire confidence.

Would love to keep this purchase under $30 or so but still get something reliable. I'll probably use it with cartridges exclusively. What's the best value out there for a well made manual gun?

(And before anyone recommends it, I have already sprung for a LockNLube coupler.)

Thanks!

windzer

Equipment
Bx2370-1
Dec 8, 2015
Illinois usa
I put my vote in for any Lincoln grease gun I personally like the pistol grip ones myself. I have one that I use for work for the last 6 years with no issues I even ran it over with a tracked skidsteer on concrete and didn't hurt it oops lol

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I put my vote in for any Lincoln grease gun I personally like the pistol grip ones myself. I have one that I use for work for the last 6 years with no issues I even ran it over with a tracked skidsteer on concrete and didn't hurt it oops lol
My wife bought me one of these for my Bday.( I picked it out!)

AND yes it is expensive....

and yes it works well.....

and yes it is almost fun!

get a lock-n-lube too!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
85Hokie, what's that thing sticking out of the blue part just below where your hand grabs it?

this part?

this is where the air line hooks in - pneumatic (no pumping!)

Or the part near the top ???? The part at the top is where you push down and get rid of the air trapped

Last edited:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
If you have compressed air, the Lincoln 1162 is a great tool. Too many fittings on a tractor and too much arthritis on me to pump by hand.
I go over the tractor and clean out the area around each zerk. Then just squeeze the trigger, looking for fresh grease to come out, then off to the next one.
I also use the lock-on, it fits on every fitting but the one for the HST speed pedal in the floor. Just not enough space (hole in the floorboard) to fit it in there. So I use the regular tip. Instead of swapping tips, I bought a 2" longer zerk and threaded it into the original Lincoln fitting., When I lube the pedal pivot, I lock the zerk of the 'extension tool' in the lock-on and press the fitting in the floor board and on the pedal zerk.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009K540DO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Deuce

Equipment
2016 B2650, 1977 B7100
Aug 8, 2015
New Jersey
For a conventional pistol grip grease gun I've had real good luck with the legacy grease guns from tractor supply.

But after looking at the tsc website I don't see them on there...

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"The cost outweighs the grease gun blues."

Is that when you are replacing the old tube of grease with a new one and somehow you do NOT have screwed down just yet, and within a millisecond the small holding lever gets bumped......and the ENTIRE tube of grease is now shot all over you and three states?????

Ok - been there, done that !!!!:D:p

or what you meant was, you pump till you are blue in the face.....and nutting comes out....with a full tube???:)

caper

Equipment
BX 25
my recommendation is any "one" hand operated one, frees up the other hand to hold fitting on , another tip is don't use the air bleeder on top , put tube in and screw cover on only 2-3 threads ,then release piston , pump a few times until you have grease coming out then spin cover on all the way , the air will escape around the threads and will not air lock .

gulfmp

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, 54" mmm, BX 5450, Box blade
Dec 23, 2016
Central MA
Thanks all for your recommendations. I too need a new one. Tired of wearing more than I apply!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
By the time you replace the cheap one two or three times you could have bought the Lincoln. I've got a 12v Lincoln been using since 01 or 02, can't remember and other than batteries it's been trouble free. Got one of the model 1162 like Hokie listed in 09 and it has been my primary gun since with no issues. Both have their place but the air is my favorite hands down.

My point; purchase a good gun and use quality grease, it makes a sometimes nasty job easier. You'll be more likely to take better care of your tractor and probably never have to replace it again.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I bought one at the Kubota dealer. Works great. Wasn't long after I got it that I was asked to do a general servicing on a guy's L48 TLB, yeah I'll do it. As you know, it's got like 50 fittings on it between the BH, the FEL, and everything else in between. Took me almost 45 minutes just to clean and grease each fitting. Then of course the entire tube of grease was gone, had to go get another. While at the parts store, I noticed that they had a lincoln pneumatic grease gun on sale. I had asked the guy behind the counter about it and he said it was the only way to go, and had one in the back that they use to service their own parts truck (and older Chevy). Yeah I want to see this thing work.

Oh my goodness I fell in LOVE with it!

I took it to work and during a routine servicing of an M62 recently, it took maybe 5 minutes to hit all the fittings with it and my hand didn't get the least bit tired of pumping the lever. Couple of these TLB's and it'll pay for itself.

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
Wow who knew there was such science to a grease gun.:) I have always just bought what was at Walmart or what ever auto parts store I was in at the time I needed one. I hate it when they refuse to pump grease when I know there is more in the cartridge so I'm springing for one of those Lincoln's and I'll never have the grease gun blues again. :D

I did learn a trick for getting more grease out of the cheap ones, stuff some paper towel behind the cartridge and it helps to keep the grease from bypassing the seal.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I am the Milwaukee poster child at work. 12- 18v batteries and 6- 12v batteries. Naturally I bought the Milwaukee 12v grease gun. Its the same one Paul Short used in a few of his vids. I like the ability to set pumps on the dial. Just pull trigger and it meters in 4 pumps of grease as set on dial.

After rebuilding my outer two spindles on the mower deck, greasing everything often became a priority for me. Now that Im settling on a BX25D, with all those extra zerks on the backhoe, Im glad I just flick a switch.

asgard

Equipment
B2301, 60 inch deck, 51inch blower
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I got a Kubota one with my tractor in November and it works great, the only question is - it is a brute to get the thing off the grease fitting. You have to wiggle, pull, wiggle, pull, and then it releases, I have for many years used a Wanner gun and it went on and off with ease.
I tried it on the fitting and it went on and off with ease.

Should I return the Kubota one for a new one, or it that just how they are?